Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What's not to like about the game that introduced Olivier and Schera to the world?

I really do hope Olivier and Schera end up together <3 <3

_____

And I got my start to this series randomly by my dad coming home one day and handing me a copy of FC on PSP, said he saw it in a charity shop and he was like "You like those rpgs right, I saw this for £1.50." Best £1.50 my Dad ever spent on me xD

Though whoever gave this game away in the first place, shame on them but at the same time omg yaass cause now LoH is one of my favourite rpg franchises. I'd really love to play some of the previous LoH games that came before Trails.

Incidentally I got into the Tales series the same way with my Dad from yet another charity shop run handing me a copy of Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube.
Olivier and Schera is the one pairing I'm rooting for the most (after Rean and Sara of course).

---

I got into LOH indirectly due to being a fan of the Ys games. I liked the YS games enough to the point that I wanted to try out other games by Falcom, and TiTs happened to be the most available one. The rest is history.

Deleted member 7219

I got into Trails thanks to this thread :love:

I saw Trails in the Sky rated very highly on Steam and dismissed it as another JRPG that found its way to PC. I didn't think a JRPG could have a richly detailed world, great writing, and an excellent story.

I think I read a Kotaku article about TitS 2 and how the amount of dialogue translation nearly drove a guy to suicide and that got my attention. Then I saw the thread here and I decided to buy TitS 1 while it was on sale. I fucking loved it. It took me 10 hours just to finish the prologue.

It is now my favourite game series.

Jinn

Arcane
I also got into Trails because of this thread. It made me take a closer look at what at first seemed like something I'd never want to play.

Deleted member 7219

TOCS 2 and TITS 3 are my favourite games in the series. The others are great too and each game has its own unique charm, but these two games show Falcom at the top of their game, having perfected the systems, the story pacing, changing up the gameplay every few hours before you get bored, and fleshing out the lore.

The biggest problem with TOCS 1 was the repetitive structure of every chapter. That just isn’t a problem in TOCS 2. The second half is completely different from the first. And just when you think you’ve completed the game they suddenly say “Wait there’s more!”.

Naesaki

Novice
Now we just have the agonising wait for Cold Steel 3 and 4 T___T

At this point, I just desperately want to know who is going to be localising it, I'll be heartbroken though if its not XSEED handling it.

All the consistency and terminology most likely thrown out the window if NISA got it, along with never getting a PC port released ever, since they still seem incapable of handling YS VIII. Oh and then somehow introducing bugs and glitches into the game that never existed in the original releases *looks at Ar Tonelico*

While Aksys would simply just not bother with an english dub and just be overall lazy when it comes to QA Testing / Thorough script editing. *chortle*

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
TOCS 2 and TITS 3 are my favourite games in the series. The others are great too and each game has its own unique charm, but these two games show Falcom at the top of their game, having perfected the systems, the story pacing, changing up the gameplay every few hours before you get bored, and fleshing out the lore.

The biggest problem with TOCS 1 was the repetitive structure of every chapter. That just isn’t a problem in TOCS 2. The second half is completely different from the first. And just when you think you’ve completed the game they suddenly say “Wait there’s more!”.

It reminds me a lot of the structure of Final Fantasy VI in that sense, with the World of Balance and World of Ruin parts. It's also like the WOR part with how you're flying around looking to recruit your lost pals.

Kinda depressing we won't ever get side-pairings like this in the series because every girl needs to be made fuckable for the harem protagonist.

It does hamper character development, like you could've had pairings like JusisXLaura, EmmaxMachias, etc (or them pairing up with some NPCs). Instead, we have characters that oddly have no love life whatsoever. That's one of the major faults with player initiated romance, although I guess they could've had it so that they end up with someone else if you don't pursue them.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What would be worse, waiting until 2020 for TOCS3 for because Xseed decided that localising the Crossbell games HAD to happen first, or having Aksys/another studio get the contract for Trails games?

Deleted member 7219

Rescued Elliot's sister Fiona. She's voiced by Brittany in the PC version!

:love:
fqtkuh.jpg
Also, a Sara bonus:

muyojf.jpg

And something for the Sharon fans (from earlier in the game):

aykqqe.jpg

gzlgcv.jpg

vdxjmx.jpg

zbjejk.jpg

Deleted member 7219

What would be worse, waiting until 2020 for TOCS3 for because Xseed decided that localising the Crossbell games HAD to happen first, or having Aksys/another studio get the contract for Trails games?

If we wait to 2020 for TOCS 3 but get Crossbell in the mean time that won't be a problem for me at all. We're still getting Trails, and Crossbell is meant to be some damn fine Trails.

Naesaki

Novice

Honestly I'd prefer for XSEED to finish off Cold Steel 3 and 4. There is part of me that thinks the reason we haven't heard anything yet about CS3's localisation is because we'll be waiting for Falcom to release CS4 in Japan and then maybe a few months after that we'll got a localisation announcement for both games (Though of course this is extremely optimistic, but hey I can dream)

Falcom will more than likely be in a 3-4 year break before they release the next arc (which is heavily implied to be Calvard) so that 3-4 year span gives XSEED ample time to get CS3 and CS4 released.

And back in optimism land there's part of me that hopes the folks at Geofront reach out to XSEED and vice versa to help get the Crossbell arc localised.

....Though to answer your question (I get sidetracked so easily when talking about this series) I'd rather wait than risk Aksys ever getting their hands on it. Also like Rean said, its still more trails games so its a win win really even though CSII is more fresh in the mind.

Rescued Elliot's sister Fiona. She's voiced by Brittany in the PC version!

:love:

Learn something new everyday, she sounded really good. I also really liked Aurelia's voice too

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I actually prefer Sara's default outfit over her casual, I find it classier and sexier, and I was wondering if Fiona was a new voiced character when I played through that.

And I'd rather they finish off CS3 and 4 as well, we're already half way into that arc, might as well finish it off. Besides, the crossbell games don't have Sara. :P

Was Aurelia voiced in the PS3 version?

Naesaki

Novice
I actually prefer Sara's default outfit over her casual, I find it classier and sexier, and I was wondering if Fiona was a new voiced character when I played through that.

And I'd rather they finish off CS3 and 4 as well, we're already half way into that arc, might as well finish it off. Besides, the crossbell games don't have Sara. :P

Was Aurelia voiced in the PS3 version?

Off the top of my head, Rean's parents, Fiona, Aurelia + The nord general with her, Jusis' Father never had an english voice until the PC release. While a ton of others got extra voiced lines, that whole intermission segment was made all the better for it being fully voiced.

Oh and then you have those random uppity Nobles speaking with the overexaggerated rolling r's and it is bloody glorious xD

Also random but been listening to the Zanmai arrangments from the JDK Falcom Band today.

The arrangement for sophisticated fight is easily one of my favourites now.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I was wondering if Rean's parents were voiced or not in the PS3 version as I didn't remember that they were. I believe the minor Alliance soldiers in the major confrontations (like the mech battles) got voiced dialogue as well.

Naesaki

Novice
Yeah they weren't voiced in the PS3/Vita version at all, so it was really nice even though it was only small parts for them just being given that extra tlc. Really got me into the cut scenes a lot more.

Naesaki

Novice
Honestly can't remember if the hot bath scene was voiced before hand or not :?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw the voice acting are still great.

When i got to the part where
crow died
it was just amazing. Like you can hear them on verge of breaking into tears with cracked voice and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom