Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Not saying you're wrong but I'm pretty sure most of XSEED's recent titles are fully voiced. And it's not like this is their first rodeo either. So it kinda sounds like a lame excuse.

Dunno about most of their recent titles but I know that "Ys: Memories of Celceta" wasn't fully voiced. That only had battle voices as far as i can remember(same as jp version AFAIK).

Mind you, the only games of XSeed's that I've gotten are Falcom's Ys and TITS games and the only one that was fully voiced was the psp version of "Ys: Oath in Felghana" (whom they weren't able to patch that into the english PC version).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hum, this explains a lot... the guy who did the Generation Xth fan-translation said that apparently CF was trying to go over him and get the series as well... but in this conditions, of course it went nowhere. I wonder if he'll stabilize now, and if we'll someday get the whole GXth trilogy. That would be awesome.

Luka-boy

Arcane
The thing that now worries me is that making that kind of post in his company's blog is probably a terrible business decision and might cost them future contracts.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
I hope we see more quality ports to the PC. I hear FF 13 is out for PC, is it any good? Normally I used to enjoy FF's but I hear they fucked up with 13, even though it is turn based and not real time. Trails in the Sky is more my type of old school JRPG, in the vein of the Lunar and Grandia series, which I loved. :love:

Question, what is Trails in the Sky SC? Are we talking about this current game when we say SC, or does SC refer to a sequel?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FC is the First Chapter that is currently out. SC is the Second Chapter that is being localized. I don't even know if we'll get the Third Chapter.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
FC is the First Chapter that is currently out. SC is the Second Chapter that is being localized. I don't even know if we'll get the Third Chapter.

Xseed has the rights for third chapter and they've hinted that they'd do it if SC sells well. Even if we don't, the Liberl arc is concluded with SC and TC is largely a standalone title that acts as a bridge to the next one(the crossbell arc).

Bu the first chapter is the complete first game right? Around 40 hours of play time?

Yes and it took me more than 40 hours IIRC.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Recently Xseed registered the domain of "trails of cold steel" http://gematsu.com/2015/01/xseed-ga...rty-blood-drive-xanadu-next-trails-cold-steel

While it isn't 100% confirmed what the game is, folks think it's the more recent "sen no kiseki" (that's only superceded by it's direct sequel sen no kiseki II) due to a song from it's OST having "cold steel" as a title(it's a pretty good track too).

They also registered a "Xanadu Next" domain, which is great news for me as I've been looking forward to an official localization of that.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While it would be cool to get Sen No Kiseki localized, I still feel a bit miffed about them skipping games. Not the end of the world, but I think the games are all somehow connected? I am not 100% sure.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
While it would be cool to get Sen No Kiseki localized, I still feel a bit miffed about them skipping games. Not the end of the world, but I think the games are all somehow connected? I am not 100% sure.

Yes, Trails in the Sky FC,SC and 3rd tie into the "Crossbell arc" (Zero no kiseki + Ao no kiseki), which in turn tie into the "Erebonia arc" (sen no kiseki 1 + 2). To what extent they tie into each other I'm not sure as I only have vague knowledge of their plots(I know that Estelle, Josh and Olivier make appearances in them). They take place in other countries other than Trails' Liberl Kingdom.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's PC and GOG, and it looks colorful and sweet
Will try it then, see if it will help me go through this winter adding some extra sugar in my blood

Did she just say

82403894.jpg

liberals

wow, even in games they are trying to get through Kodex word filter

+ That classic JRPG feeling. This game just feels right, exactly the same way that best JRPGs do.
You know it's a JRPG when you see NPCs shuffle in one place via walking animation
just like:M

Also THE ANNOYING SOUND WHEN TEXT APPEARS INSIDE THE SPEECH BUBBLE but I will get used to it in a few hours
I hope

oh the update adds an option of turning it off, awesome

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
what a cheating cunt

82420845.jpg

dodge-this-dead.png

now that fight was what I would call a proper JRPG difficulty

Kloe with Cast+Action gems spamming Clock Ex is closest you can get to god-mode in game I think

also, that ending :lol: "here feel like shit, buy 2-3-4 more games for a better ending"

imagine the world where sequels are banned... :M

doubt I will play next games unless they will make combat as hard as some of what ending was (very little of it)
and make plot progress x6 faster
The ending was totaaaaal shiiiit. like, worst animu emo shit.
and game dragged too long.

And I wish I could strangle the blonde bard with his own guitar strings, as well as person who wrote his dialogue

Still some fun was had, some parts made me laugh, some characters were pleasant enough to walk around with (Bear-man, princess-lady and Tita with her awesome cannon). I also would be ok with Estelle as a single protagonist.
And hey, no grinding. At all.

Urgh what am I saying. Probably will eat it all like a good boy when next part comes out to KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

Overall it's your standard JRPG. Most codexers would probably fall asleep during prologue. Guess there are worse JRPGs out there. Not that I uh, know that many JRPGs that made me play them to the end. The part just between end and umm end and ummm cliff hanger was when I had my hopes very high since party was kicking some serious ass all while STILL remaining low-key as plot continued to go around people you met and politics.
But they managed to screw it all up :hero:

Game is at its strongest when it finally gets to the point and tells what the hell is the current act is about, and at its weakest with filler.
It is also INFURIATING when it forces some characters that are assholes, shit or boring (Agate, Olivier) on you. I swear when Agate slapped Tita and went on stoic animu antihero rant I almost crashed my monitor, or at least wanted the red awesome button from Mass Effect to appear to kick him from that tower into a very long flight.
You only get to pick your own party at the very end. It could have been like Baldur's Gate, would improve a lot. So much $$$ spent on linear writing, throw a bit more and give player his own party for at least when he is doing side quests.

So yeah I won't recommend it unless you have a natural Immunity to anime tropes and just have nothing else to play. Not even sure why I finished it even if the bath scene was at the midgame and nothing interesting happened except some laughs :deadhorse: guess low key story kinda worked for a long time.

Alright I wrote more than this game deserves already. :M

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Son, Olivier is not only the best character in the game but one of the best game characters of all time. How unfortunate that I can't downvote that post.....

Oh and beating the prick Lorence was so satisfying that I put the chievo for beating him in my achievement display in my Steam profile. He's actually not that hard if you come prepared with quartz that speed up your casting and what not.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://gematsu.com/2015/03/the-lege...n-the-sky-evolution-demo-hits-japan-next-week

Japan will be playing FC evo before the West even gets a release date for SC
From the screenshots I've seen, they completely butchered the artstyle for something more moe. All characters now have a massive case of sameface, and the lip animations for the character portraits look so lazily done that it is more distracting than anything. Even Estelle's smug face isn't that smug anymore, which is already reason enough for me to not even bother asking for a localization.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Woah it is true

The-Legend-Of-Heroes-Trails-In-The-Sky-First-Chapter-Evolution-790x448.jpg

the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-12-22-14-1.jpg

Characters from first game look like they have friggin Baldur's Gate 1 portraits in comparison

Anime why you not 90's

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't pretend to be well-versed in different kinds of anime, so those portraits, while different, look about the same level of anime to me :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well you still could probably see that girl is smiling and boy is stoic and doesn't, at least, and that one is en face while other not.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Derp, I didn't realize the first screenshot is from Evolution. Which means, they actually made the portraits less distinct and more generic for the Vita remake? Lol.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My biggest issue is that Joshua's new hair makes him look like some kind of tween emo band lead singer. It's not like we need anymore hints to his
dark past

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom