Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
TiTS trilogy works perfectly with mouse. I couldn't even imagine playing it otherwise at this point.

Deleted member 7219

I play with an Xbox 360 controller because I dislike games that require movement by holding down the LMB. Much easier to use the thumbstick instead.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I did remap it to WASD movement and used mouse to browse the menus, it's much comfier and faster that way for me.

Of course, gamepad is great too. But you can always just switch to whatever fits you best, so no harm trying each one.

(Again, shilling for use of cheatengine's Speedhack.. playing it on 2X speed made the games much more fun for me. Almost every combat animation is slow as heck)

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's a speedhack built into the configuration menu when you launch steam you can set up for battle only as well as cheatengine. But my finger is crying uncle so I'll give WASD/Controller a go

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Yep, but the built-in one requires you keep it pressed, which is annoying. For CE you can just press it once and leave it.

Also, be warned - the built-in version has caused me and a couple other guys a basically gamebreaking bug near the end of SC. It's only by luck that some fellow fixed it for us.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Well I'm still only on FC, but holy shit if all the other Falcom games are this good they make other JRPGs look like garbage. Perfect balance between grind and not grind (aka fuck grinding until the final chapter, totally unnecessary), tight af combat and superb writing that's on the right side of the line between cliche and the reason those character types are so popular they became cliche.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well I'm still only on chapter 1, but holy shit if all the other Falcom games are this good they make other JRPGs look like garbage. Perfect balance between grind and not grind (aka fuck grinding until the final chapter, totally unnecessary), tight af combat and superb writing that's on the right side of the line between cliche and the reason those character types are so popular they became cliche.
like 99% of all jrpg are garbage compared to trails

Jack Dandy

Arcane
God bless their hearts, and the hearts of tireless fan translators and localizers everywhere.

Doing it as a job is a great, honorable thing on it's own. Doing it for free takes it leagues beyond. :salute:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well I'm still only on FC, but holy shit if all the other Falcom games are this good they make other JRPGs look like garbage. Perfect balance between grind and not grind (aka fuck grinding until the final chapter, totally unnecessary), tight af combat and superb writing that's on the right side of the line between cliche and the reason those character types are so popular they became cliche.

I'm a big fan of the first 90% of FC. I've never had more fun with a jrpg.

It is as you say, an excellent balance between grind and content, good combat, good and sufficiently self-aware writing that never takes itself too seriously, and plays it straight most of the time. Excellent world building and lots of fun exploring.

Until the incestplot, of course. Japan always manages to out-Japan me. Yet, there isn't anywhere else to go. These games are the best jrpgs. Just mind the occasional incest and otherwise enjoy. It's a great ride :)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wondering about save import feature in CS2. Is it a big deal (like opening/closing some options) or just a few dialog changes here and there?
Also is NG+ in CS1 required to get max profit from CS2 import?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wondering about save import feature in CS2. Is it a big deal (like opening/closing some options) or just a few dialog changes here and there?
Also is NG+ in CS1 required to get max profit from CS2 import?

It's not big, just few small changes here and there.

Deleted member 7219

Transfer Bonus to Cold Steel II

Rean's Level Bonus
Level 69 or lower. Sepith x 100 (All Colours), Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Level 70 - 79. Sepith x 300 (All Colours), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Level 80 or higher. Sepith x 500 (All Colours), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder

Rean's Rank Bonus Status
A0 Golden Medal HP +1000, EP +100, STR /DEF /ATS /ADF +10
A1 Silver Medal HP +500, EP +50

Source: https://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/694912-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel/faqs/72747?page=5

As for dialogue or story changes, the person you chose to dance with remembers but it doesn't close any options, it affects a couple of lines of dialogue when you meet them again, and you get a full spectrum of romance choices in CS2 regardless of what you did in CS1. It isn't anything like the Mass Effect or Witcher imports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vorark

Erudite
Is there any difference between Steam and GOG for these games, like easier mod support, extras?

Deleted member 7219

Is there any difference between Steam and GOG for these games, like easier mod support, extras?

The GOG versions come with wallpapers and avatars, if those are your thing.

The Steam versions used to be the only ones with achievements (which I like, because they are the best way of tracking what content you've seen in a game), but apparently the GOG versions have those now too (at least, according to the GOG page for Trails of Cold Steel).

There's no reason to mod the games as they are perfect out-of-the-box, although TOCS has some texture mods (see the game's Steam forums) and those don't rely on it being from Steam or from GOG. Also, I think they are all DRM free on Steam now.

It doesn't look like there is any difference between the versions, so ultimately it comes down to which platform you prefer.

Vorark

Erudite
The GOG versions come with wallpapers and avatars, if those are your thing.

The Steam versions used to be the only ones with achievements (which I like, because they are the best way of tracking what content you've seen in a game), but apparently the GOG versions have those now too (at least, according to the GOG page for Trails of Cold Steel).

There's no reason to mod the games as they are perfect out-of-the-box, although TOCS has some texture mods (see the game's Steam forums) and those don't rely on it being from Steam or from GOG. Also, I think they are all DRM free on Steam now.

It doesn't look like there is any difference between the versions, so ultimately it comes down to which platform you prefer.

Thank you, very helpful! :bro:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Same question as last time fellas, controller or kbm for Cold Steel. The MKB feels hella weird and the menu UI is muuuuch worse, super duper consoley which is massive decline.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Same question as last time fellas, controller or kbm for Cold Steel. The MKB feels hella weird and the menu UI is muuuuch worse, super duper consoley which is massive decline.
controller for cold steel. it's just designed for consoles.

with sky series, the PC port of sky already exist so point and click control is alread implemented and xseed onyl work for the rest of the polish like hi rest support and 60 FPS stuff.

with cold steel no such thing exist and xseed probably dont have the manpower or money to work rehauling everything so it is more pc friendly

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
FWIH Xseed has literally 2 programmers, the girl whose done their stuff for years and Durante the famous Dark Souls guy. Hopefully his famous skills pay off with Cold Steel 2 and they can get it better than this shite, honestly aiming the abilities and cycling through the enemy party is complete trite.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I only played FC and SC lul, wanted a changeup before the third because I was pretty burnt out on the gameplay. I'll probably do the third part in quite a bit, but the wiki filled in the backstory for me regardless.

The bosses at the end of SC were actually awful, it was literally whaling through giant HP bars after casting your entire mana pool then abusing OP food items and food I'd stocked up the entire game, but that didn't stop the story of SC being just as good as number 1 honestly. Also the backtracking got pretty ridiculous would not play without a speedhack, ever.

Story was good throughout and the dialogue was amazing, they must have programmed in 5+ iterations of dialogue for EVERYONE in Ruan that game. Talking to every NPC in that town was 100% worth it. Honestly I'm thinking Witcher 3 when I think games that characterise NPCs as well as the duology, not sure any western games do NPC writing and humanising so well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom