Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last of Us

Diablo169

Arcane
Kudos to Gamespot for giving it an 8/10, and then making a separate video mocking everyone flaming them for not giving it a 10.

Fucking console gamers.

Turok

Erudite
Yesterday i finish the game, kinda short, it take me 2 days to win the game.

I miss the days when i spend 1 month playing Baldur's Gate 2 :(

Wulfstand

Prophet
Damn, for a moment I thought there'd be some news regarding a possible PC port.

TedNugent

Arcane
Can we have a game where we play as the little girl instead? Your companion character would be the big grizzled he-man and during combat, your role would be to throw him ammo when he asks for it. GAMING MASTERPIECE 11/10

I also hate gameplay videos where the devs purposely walk around really slowly and pan the camera all around to show off their environments, and to pretend there is actual gameplay outside of listening to scripted dialogue and shooting hobos in the face.

You actually do get to play as the little girl in The Last of Us

You also get to shoot a deer instead of shooting hobos

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Incoming review for the last of us :

Short review :
pile_of_shit.gif

Long review :
So I acquired a PS3 from a friend because I wanted to play Demon's Souls. Of course nobody of my popamole friends had Demon's Souls so I had to buy it :x. On the other hand they have many majestic games like Uncharted and The Last of Us, so when I finished DeS I decided to try the Last of us...

:negative:

The game starts, looooong cinematic sequence, same old shit with zombapocalypse but whatever, then brief moment of "gameplay" running around, then cutscene. Then overly scripted "stealth" sequence, then cutscene. Then overly scripted action sequence, then cutscene. I'm saying to myself, ok, this shit is going to open up a bit at some point, this is just the beginning, it can't be THAT linear and restricted. right ? RIGHT ?! Oh yes it can. I don't think I've played a more linear and restricted game. I was hoping that when I reach the outside of the city there would be some slight illusion of opening up, but no it's the same shit all over again. Even Enslaved - odyssey to the west had more exploration and things to do. Compared to this the new Tomb Raider game is a masterpiece of incline. This crappy game fails in all levels. It tries to be cinematic, yet you have your stupid companions with their nonexistent AI running around you when you try to sneak and bumping onto various zombies, yet the zombies completely ignore them. Just one example of how pathetic and lazy the design is. And the lauded story is boring to the bone. There's nothing to set it apart from the pile of mediocre zombapocalypse stories, the same old tired crap, and the whole gimmick with the waifu you must protect, that lately has been forced down your throat. This game is supposedly recommended for its story, but I don't think I have ever seen a more mundane zombie story. The fact that these people got 10/10s and awards for this disgusting banality shows how declined the gaming industry is.

You're gonna say, "you had it coming" and you're right, but from time to time I like to distract myself with some popamole, and as I've said even Enslaved was a much better game, and there isn't even a comparison with Tomb Raider.

I can't believe I've spent so much time writing about this. Bottom line : The Last Of Us is the undisputed faggot king of Popamole, as far as I'm concerned. A game that fails in all fronts that matter, a crock of shit that insults your intelligence.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
WTF J_C you're getting butthurt over this one too ? Your crusade to defend shitty games is becoming ridiculous.

Deleted member 7219

It is the best game I've played that is not on PC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
WTF J_C you're getting butthurt over this one too ? Your crusade to defend shitty games is becoming ridiculous.
I'm not butthurt at all. I just think your opinion is shit. Stealth is not scripted, just basic. Yeah, there are cinematics, so fucking what. There are games which use this way of storytelling. And they are not as loooooopng as you say they are. The Last of Us never meant to be an open world game, so bashing it for being linear is stupid. And I'd like to note, the levels are not entirely linear, most of them has open areas where you can get around the guards, maybe take another route. Zombies and enemies ignoring the girl while in stealth is a good design decision, because otherwise the AI would mess up your stealth approach. No, it doesn't look realistic, but it is a good gamey method. And before you say that " then the devs should have made a competent AI in stealth" let me just say that even humans can mess up stealth, so I don't think a computer could do that without somekind of cheating. And is it a mundane zombie story? What can I say? Tastes are different, I think it is a good story, and I won't bash it just because it doesn't reach the peak of cinema.

Last edited:

nil

Cipher
Zombies and enemies ignoring the girl while in stealth is a good design decision, because otherwise the AI would mess up your stealth approach. No, it doesn't look realistic, but it is a good gamey method. And before you say that " then the devs should have made a competent AI in stealth" let me just say that even humans can mess up stealth, so I don't think a computer could do that without somekind of cheating.
No, a good design decision would be not putting in an AI companion unless they can make it work.

"Let's make a great game where you can stealth and have a cute loli with you all the time!"
"But sir! Making stealth work with an AI companion is very difficult and nobody has done it properly before!"
"Where there is a will, there is a way! Find me that way!"
"Well...we could put in some basic order system, where the player could tell the loli where to go...Maybe even make some noise..."
"Screw that! Make it invisible!"

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

In other words,
"I paid money to watch an interactive movie and I'm very upset because I wanted it to be a Fallout game."

Do you also go to McDonalds to complain that they don't serve dumplings?

Also, even if the game is shit (which it isn't, by any objective standard), it is still miles better than all the other shit that is on the market. Within the category of "linear cinematic interactive-movie/games", it is up there with Half Life and Modern Warfare 4.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Zombies and enemies ignoring the girl while in stealth is a good design decision, because otherwise the AI would mess up your stealth approach. No, it doesn't look realistic, but it is a good gamey method. And before you say that " then the devs should have made a competent AI in stealth" let me just say that even humans can mess up stealth, so I don't think a computer could do that without somekind of cheating.
No, a good design decision would be not putting in an AI companion unless they can make it work.

"Let's make a great game where you can stealth and have a cute loli with you all the time!"
"But sir! Making stealth work with an AI companion is very difficult and nobody has done it properly before!"
"Where there is a will, there is a way! Find me that way!"
"Well...we could put in some basic order system, where the player could tell the loli where to go...Maybe even make some noise..."
"Screw that! Make it invisible!"
The Last of Us is a story focused game about the man and the girl. They couldn't have left her out. Instead they bent the rules of the game a little.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In other words,
"I paid money to watch an interactive movie and I'm very upset because I wanted it to be a Fallout game."

Also, even if the game is shit (which it isn't, by any objective standard), it is still miles better than all the other shit that is on the market. Within the category of "linear cinematic interactive-movie/games", it is up there with Half Life and Modern Warfare 4.
:lol:
Wtf are you talking about? Where did I say anythinvg about fallout or anything similar? In my post I mention 2 recent cinematic popamole games that are better than this crap. Half Life? :lol: Your response shows the level of intelligence you need to enjoy this game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
In other words,

:lol:
Wtf are you talking about? Where did I say anythinvg about fallout or anything similar? In my post I mention 2 recent cinematic popamole games that are better than this crap. Half Life? :lol: Your response shows the level of intelligence you need to enjoy this game.
But why do you even complain about exploration and the lack of things to do, when this is not that kind of game. That's why Chestburster compared it to Half life or MW4, because similarly those games are not about exploration, but a linear, story focused experience.

It's like if a game doesn't offer an open world, it is automatically shit. No, there are different type of games. So Tomb Raider and Enslaved are better just because they are more open?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
But why do you even complain about exploration and the lack of things to do, when this is not that kind of game.

I'm talking about a minimal amount of freedom, always in the context of a linear cinematic experience. The Last Of Us is the worst game I've played in that regard. And as I already mentioned I find the gameplay that already exists in the game badly designed and the supposed strength of the game (=cinematic experience and story) mundane and uninspired. And yes the fucking stealth is scripted because there are many times when you step to a certain points a motionless zombie suddenly turns to move to your way without hearing you, if you remain a step behind nothing happens. The rooms are filled with invisible checkpoints, and when you step into one zombies start moving not because they're following their routes but because of :tension: and 99% of the time there is only one way to the stealth the areas, which are all small and restricted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom