Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Keep, New Dungeon Crawler - out on 3DS and Steam

grudgebringer

http://thekeep-game.com

[Not sure if it belongs to this subforum, so move it if you wish, mods]

A new dungeon crawler is coming to 3DS. Looks pretty cool, gloomy and Grimrockish with that real-time combat and traps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Was expecting this:

The_Keep.jpg

Leaving disappointed. :(

deuxhero

Arcane
Twice mentions "3DS version", implying it isn't exclusive.

Seems like real time combat while keeping the grid... Well there was Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder I guess.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know where you're coming from, but Dungeon Master and CSB are actually really cool, esp. the way you can use the dungeon environment to your advantage in real time. I haven't seen anything like that in TB blobbers (tho' in theory it can be done), and it does alter your tactics there (and no, I don't mean the degenerate combat mambo). octavius should know what i'm talking about. :P

All the clones that went after that have been inferior though, so I dunno if, or how, you can make this subgenre actually work.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it's sad that DM and CSB still has the best game mechanics amongst the RT blobbers, while later games only added better/more varied graphics, story and NPC interaction, but simplified and dumbed down most other things.

Mortmal

Arcane
That 3DS game is cool i guess, but it really looks primitive especially compare to pc DM clones. Not really worth it theres very good mods to grimrock now like toorum's manor .

AngryKobold

Arcane
Devs have no clue what to do with the second screen, so they put there anything... FFS

Nintendo has made truly a great job, to release a dual screen handheld. Sony would never dream about such thing. Mainly for reason it's nothing but hopelessly dumb, unpractical gadget.

deuxhero

Arcane
Devs have no clue what to do with the second screen, so they put there anything... FFS

Nintendo has made truly a great job, to release a dual screen handheld. Sony would never dream about such thing. Mainly for reason it's nothing but hopelessly dumb, unpractical gadget.

Of course a multiplat (note the "3DS version" in the trailer) isn't going to use system speciffic features.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's an eShop game so I'm guessing they aren't going to charge the amount of a full priced game. In that case I might bite in.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lol a one player dumbed down real time Legends of Grimrock clone with graphics from 15 years ago, no thanks.

What's wrong with it being one player? Would you prefer an MMO? Can't really tell how dumbed down it is, although being a handheld game you're probably right on that point. Grimrock was relatively cool, so if it's similar I'm ok with that. Outdated graphics are OK too in a retro dungeon crawler. Don't be a graphics whore.

grudgebringer

Lol a one player dumbed down real time Legends of Grimrock clone with graphics from 15 years ago, no thanks.

What is wrong with graphics anyway? I think it fits nicely.
But anyway for me the main selling point of this trailer is HOW IT SOUNDS. It instantly reminds me of Quake soundscapes with those monsters grumblings, gritting and clacking noises, gulping when you consume the flask, etc.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
How many First Person RPGs are there on 3DS (Blobbers or not)? It seems the only platform that gets a steady stream of "hardcore" games these days is the DS.

I haven't played many 2DS/3DS games, but I enjoyed the hell out of Castlevania: Order of Occlessia (hardcore ARPG, dat old school challenge) and it makes me think a 3DS is something I should invest in and support. I wouldn't exactly label the games I have played and enjoyed on it as incline, but not decline either. Just emulates the style of challenging Japanese console games of the 90s pretty much, so certainly can provide a lot of fun.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Press release:

Enter The Keep on September 11 in the US and on September 18 in Europe.

September 5, 2014 – Cinemax is proud to announce that The Keep, an old-school first person dungeon crawler with real-time combat exclusive for Nintendo 3DS™ handheld system is set to be released for $12.99 in the US on September 11 and for € 9.99 in Europe on September 18.

Watch the release trailer NOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EL8sr2Dds

In The Keep you will embark on a quest to explore caves and dungeons filled with monsters to slain, traps to avoid, puzzles to solve, and treasures to find underneath and surrounding the tower of evil sorcerer Watrys.

The Keep stands on the heritage of dungeon crawlers with one foot, with the other one in modern times with features like a control scheme combining a touch screen and buttons (even for left-handed players), a combat system designed for the Nintendo 3DS stylus, three difficulty levels with perma-death option and a save anywhere feature.

The Keep offers an easy to dive in gameplay experience with enough depth to ask for more. Every enemy requires different tactics during combat, every weapon class offers unique combos and by rearranging and combining runes that you have to find in the first place you can cast powerful spells.

For Cinemax The Keep is a love letter to the genre, the team have said once that they will never ever make an RPG game. For more than 2 years they been doing their best to prove they were wrong.

Game features:
- An old-school first-person dungeon crawler with a modern twist
- Vast underground dungeons filled with traps, monsters, puzzles and treasures
- Three difficulty levels plus a perma-death option
- A save anywhere option
- A combat system and rune magic designed for the stylus
- Captivating soundtrack and stereoscopic 3D graphics
- English voiceovers with localized in-game text to six languages - US (English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese), EU (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)

Magellan

Augur
Press release:

Enter The Keep on September 11 in the US and on September 18 in Europe.

September 5, 2014 – Cinemax is proud to announce that The Keep, an old-school first person dungeon crawler with real-time combat exclusive for Nintendo 3DS™ handheld system is set to be released for $12.99 in the US on September 11 and for € 9.99 in Europe on September 18.

Watch the release trailer NOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EL8sr2Dds

In The Keep you will embark on a quest to explore caves and dungeons filled with monsters to slain, traps to avoid, puzzles to solve, and treasures to find underneath and surrounding the tower of evil sorcerer Watrys.

The Keep stands on the heritage of dungeon crawlers with one foot, with the other one in modern times with features like a control scheme combining a touch screen and buttons (even for left-handed players), a combat system designed for the Nintendo 3DS stylus, three difficulty levels with perma-death option and a save anywhere feature.

The Keep offers an easy to dive in gameplay experience with enough depth to ask for more. Every enemy requires different tactics during combat, every weapon class offers unique combos and by rearranging and combining runes that you have to find in the first place you can cast powerful spells.

For Cinemax The Keep is a love letter to the genre, the team have said once that they will never ever make an RPG game. For more than 2 years they been doing their best to prove they were wrong.

Game features:
- An old-school first-person dungeon crawler with a modern twist
- Vast underground dungeons filled with traps, monsters, puzzles and treasures
- Three difficulty levels plus a perma-death option
- A save anywhere option
- A combat system and rune magic designed for the stylus
- Captivating soundtrack and stereoscopic 3D graphics
- English voiceovers with localized in-game text to six languages - US (English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese), EU (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)

Looks like it'll be well worth the 13 American dollars. Definitely gonna pick this up.

Magellan

Augur
Well, this releases today (in the US). I'm gonna download it this evening. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't suck. :)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Do share your impressions. My 3ds is gathering dust since good few months now and I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of it.

sbb

Learned
P. excited to have a game to play on this thing if this game works out... A Link Between Worlds was over way too fast, and my previous adventures with eShop games have not gone so well...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom