Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "I've completed Grimoire" thread

Severian Silk

It's interesting how everyone sees all the secrets, they aren't secrets, then, are they?
We need an "If a tree falls in a forest" emoticon for posts like this.

railway

Educated
* Not sure what our relationship with the Winged Exemplar was.
Some of the starting scenarios imply that the party members are mindwiped Reality Hijinx agents assigned to grab the Seed and kill the Owl, but the Owl seems to treat you as his own agents when you meet him. They could as easily be locals transported to an RH base; did anyone get one impression more strongly?

One of the voices in the N-Space dimension says something along the lines of the party being either specifically created or thoroughly manipulated by the White Owl in some way to do its bidding. Might just be demons trying to mess with you but the owl didn't strike me as the well-meaning spirit-sage out of the legends.

I'm not clear on what are the effects of the seed vs. the clock's malfunction vs. Hyperborea being a hellhole.

I don't think it's made completely clear anywhere. The Black Seed is said to have some kind of chaotic influence, same for the clock winding down, which as far as I remember is caused or at least facilitated by the seed.
Elsewhere it is claimed the presence of both on the same planet is causing some kind of interference amplifying their destructive influence.
I was under the impression one or both were responsible for there being monsters everywhere but I don't think this is actually stated anywhere.

Then again one of the endings implies the clock didn't really do anything at all. If one were to take this at face value and turn it around, clock and seed might not be responsible for anything bad happening in Hyperborea either. It's not some eveil otherworldy corruption tainting everybody's minds, it's just people bashing each others head in.

* I think the toughest enemy in the game is the
Astral Stalker, who gives 16k XP. His function was never clear to me; Ahriman summons him and sets him on you as retribution for killing the Kraken, but he doesn't actually attack; he just says hi to you once per trip to Dominion Exemplar, even though he doesn't respond to any subjects. You can kill him without consequences, but his regeneration rate is pretty gross. Based on comments in the data file, it looks like he was originally planned to hunt down and kill NPCs, but I'm guessing that's a feature for V2.

First time I met him he immediately attacked me and annihilated my party. Second time I came prepared to fight and was surpised he just wanted to hold a pow-wow. After exchanging some pleasentries I of course proceeded to bash his head in.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Thread for people who have completed the game to provide spoiler-ridden or spoiler-free reviews [please spoiler spoiler-ridden stuff]. Including those who've had to quit and why [pls insert spoilers where necessary].
I'm not particularly a fan of Wizardry-likes. For combat, I prefer games with a more tactical basis that makes use of individual movements, as in the Gold Box games (or Jagged Alliance 2, if you consider that an RPG). For exploration, I prefer Dungeon Master-likes, as you might have guessed from my user-name. Nonetheless, despite its rough edges, I found Grimoire to be quite enjoyable, primarily for the exploration-related aspects. It harkens back to an earlier age of CRPGs, when they were created by a small number of people, sometimes even a single individual, and thus shared the peculiarities of their creator(s), for better or worse. This comes through not just in gameplay, but also in numerous minor touches in the writing, such as references to paintings of dogs playing poker, or the use of the word "man-boon", which must be a first for a CRPG.

Not a great game, but a good game despite bugs and imbalances, and almost certainly the best CRPG of 2017.

The best moment of Grimoire below the spoiler:

1eUrQEV.png

Killing a Jabberwocky with one blow from a Vorpal Blade = :love:

This is why a weaboo Pokemon millennial like FelipePepe will never, ever understand games like these.

You are SUPPOSED to get the mega victory over the Jabberwocky if you are smart enough to equip the Vorpal blade. You are SUPPOSED to kill him with a single whack because that is what happens in the Lewis Carroll poem to the Jabberwocky. In order to appreciate Grimoire you will need to possess a SOUL which has NOT officially been contributed to Satan yet. This is why FelipePepe was left so frantic when he completed it. He realised some of the magnitude of the game he had just finished and realised that without a soul, he would never be able to appreciate any of it. Realising he was a sad weaboo destined for hell he decided instead to obsess on MUH BALINSE because it was the only thing he could hang the hat of his hollow psyche on.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, I'm gonna make a game that would be finished in 30 years from now. The final boss would be cleve staked on a seven hundred feet tall cross. He'd attack by shooting lances that comes out from a wound on his stomach. You can't attack him except if you equip a flying horse with the head of felipepepe. In which you'd instantly win because hell cleve's dying on a cross and you poked him another hole. Also the felipepepe horse is a carnivore.

If you don't understand the allusions you are a MLP fan.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I had no idea there had been a major drama regarding people who had completed this game and cleve. Thanks for providing the highlights ITT :salute: , but pls try to refrain from derailing the thread too much, lots of varied opinions with not too much rabbit hole'ing is what makes these kind of threads interesting for modern convenience and posterity IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom