Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "I've completed Grimoire" thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Thread for people who have completed the game to provide spoiler-ridden or spoiler-free reviews [please spoiler spoiler-ridden stuff]. Including those who've had to quit and why [pls insert spoilers where necessary].

It must have been 600 hours since it was released by now and I've been keeping an eye out for a thoughts upon completion/quitting thread since release and since I haven't seen one and have no idea which Grimoire thread people might bury this kind of useful info into I thought I'd make a thread for it.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Are you mentally challenged? All that shit is in the release thread. You should read it, it's like the third best thread on the codex after the Sir-Tech bankruptcy thread and the Grimoire pre-release thread.

tl;dr: Multiple people have completed it. It didn't take 600 hours. It's a pretty good game.

deama

Prophet
I heard the game sucks (outside the codex) from people who apparentely enjoyed the wizardry series (and maybe blobbers in general), is this true?

v1rus

Arcane
Are you mentally challenged? All that shit is in the release thread. You should read it, it's like the third best thread on the codex after the Sir-Tech bankruptcy thread and the Grimoire pre-release thread.

tl;dr: Multiple people have completed it. It didn't take 600 hours. It's a pretty good game.

How long does it last, for realz?

Mortmal

Arcane
I heard the game sucks (outside the codex) from people who apparentely enjoyed the wizardry series (and maybe blobbers in general), is this true?
No, but you start to lose interest when all the fights are either shoot first or die. Also solving some riddles is like trying to understand how a lunatic like cleve might be thinking, kudo to the one who found exemplar vault key without reading spoilers.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How long does it last, for realz?

About 105 +/- 20 hours is probably close. Although that was before the balance fixes; I don't know if they add to the playtime.

It took me personally about 127 hours, but Grimoire was my first blobber, so it's possible I spent some of that time learning things that are obvious to Wizardry veterans.

PEACH

Arbiter
No, but you start to lose interest when all the fights are either shoot first or die.

Which fights are those? That claim doesn't apply to trogs, dark faeries, ninjas nor any boss or mob I've seen up until the 7th tablet. Sounds like hyperbole from people who don't precast party buffs and brute force everything they see.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I thought the 'entertaining' thread was the one that involved all the not-released-yet gags, not the release thread. I thought the release thread was just one big spoiler/fanboy train, hence...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, it's nowhere near 600 hours? I literally haven't been less surprised in my life.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I take it that by 600 hours Cleve meant to say "600 hours doing everything there is to do in a single playthrough".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since Morblot said he completed it in 127 hours, he can say if there's 500ish hours of content he didn't do. Morblot?

PEACH

Arbiter
I haven't even finished it and I can assure you that there's no way you can miss out on anywhere near 500 hours of content unless "content" is playing with random encounters every square. At 57 hours I have 60%+ of the map and 98% secrets. I highly doubt there's that much more than 80-120 hours in a given playthrough.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I take it that by 600 hours Cleve meant to say "600 hours doing everything there is to do in a single playthrough".

No, he forgot to subtract the time he took breaks to repair and improve his bunker.

mondblut

Arcane
So, it's nowhere near 600 hours? I literally haven't been less surprised in my life.

Ultrasmooth movement and onslaught random encounters are the key. Also, don't hold down enter while fighting.

Consider 150 hours a good estimate for a noob not deliberately using stuff that slows the entire thing down.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I haven't even finished it and I can assure you that there's no way you can miss out on anywhere near 500 hours of content unless "content" is playing with random encounters every square. At 57 hours I have 60%+ of the map and 98% secrets. I highly doubt there's that much more than 80-120 hours in a given playthrough.

Hmmm. I have no idea how much replay value does Grimoire have, as in, what actual replay value does Grimoire have. "Does playing with this race have any significant impact in the game?"

Then again, it is a blobber where you handle multiple characters, I really do not see a considerable amount of replay value to justify "600 hours!!!" of content.

PEACH

Arbiter
Well, if one were to be pedantic, I'm sure you could say there's technically 600 hours if you were to do multiple playthroughs where you use each race and class and starting location. Based on my experience however, I doubt much would truly change between each run unlike something like age of decadence or fallout for instance where you make distinct choices that determine your experience.

Very little can't be done in one play through of grimoire as far as I can tell, and as much as I like it I can't see 600 hours holding water unless you think 5 playthroughs with incredibly minute differences would somehow count toward that excessive and honestly ridiculous claim Cleve made.

I plan to play it again circa V2 but not because I missed more than a couple things, just because I like it enough to play it again with more polish and content.

TL;DR - adding a wizard and a bard instead of a thief and sage (for example) is highly unlikely to change much at all outside of basic approach to combat.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thread for people who have completed the game to provide spoiler-ridden or spoiler-free reviews [please spoiler spoiler-ridden stuff]. Including those who've had to quit and why [pls insert spoilers where necessary].
I'm not particularly a fan of Wizardry-likes. For combat, I prefer games with a more tactical basis that makes use of individual movements, as in the Gold Box games (or Jagged Alliance 2, if you consider that an RPG). For exploration, I prefer Dungeon Master-likes, as you might have guessed from my user-name. Nonetheless, despite its rough edges, I found Grimoire to be quite enjoyable, primarily for the exploration-related aspects. It harkens back to an earlier age of CRPGs, when they were created by a small number of people, sometimes even a single individual, and thus shared the peculiarities of their creator(s), for better or worse. This comes through not just in gameplay, but also in numerous minor touches in the writing, such as references to paintings of dogs playing poker, or the use of the word "man-boon", which must be a first for a CRPG.

Not a great game, but a good game despite bugs and imbalances, and almost certainly the best CRPG of 2017.

The best moment of Grimoire below the spoiler:

1eUrQEV.png

Killing a Jabberwocky with one blow from a Vorpal Blade = :love:

Morblot

Patron
Since Morblot said he completed it in 127 hours, he can say if there's 500ish hours of content he didn't do. Morblot?

Late answer, but I agree with what people have said: no, of course there isn't 500 hours of content I missed. I saw about 80% - 85% of what there is to see now + 100% of the secrets.

Kayerts

Arcane
Finished this last week and got all four endings. Additionally, I might have the distinction of having made the first legit player-created jester. (Balaxander the Great, once a mighty crusader, now just a clown. Stays above water, though.) 81% of the global map explored, 100% of secrets found, 1 NPC recruited (the one you need to complete a quest; she was immediately dismissed on completion) and 7 miniquests completed (really 8, but the journal's bugged). Spoiler-heavy thoughts:

* Did not find any grimoire of note. (It's just the name of the game system, right?)

* Didn't herald shit. "Heralding: not even once" was my party's motto.

* Not sure what our relationship with the Winged Exemplar was.
Some of the starting scenarios imply that the party members are mindwiped Reality Hijinx agents assigned to grab the Seed and kill the Owl, but the Owl seems to treat you as his own agents when you meet him. They could as easily be locals transported to an RH base; did anyone get one impression more strongly?

Three of four endings can be completed without interacting with the Clock. Does that imply that the saucer ending is the true one? In the other three, you can optionally reset it, but it doesn't seem necessary. That'd also makes sense in view of the Entity's presence in the sequel, and his absence in the other three endings.

I'm not clear on what are the effects of the seed vs. the clock's malfunction vs. Hyperborea being a hellhole.

The seed seems to have caused great wars and to have been there for a while, based on the fact that there's a full memorial to said wars under the Cathedral. (Side note: are the Haunted Wastes where you find it the same as the wastes that the bards in the Tabernacle mention? Are they also the same as the ones in the Eerie Wastes start?)

The clock's malfunction seems to have allowed the existing order to deteriorate, but I'm not sure what concrete consequences are attributable to this. Maybe Ahriman never would've risen to power if it were working properly?

The tablets seem to have been given to their bearers intentionally, long in the past, before the clock started to malfunction. Does that imply that Knossos, Grendel, the Samhain Horror, the demon-worshipping trogs, the murderous druids, and the spider queen who serves the cosmic horror are all cases of Hyperborea working as intended? "Nothing is really wrong with Hyperborea" vs. "Hyperborea is completely broken:" which is better, and why? Discuss!

* I think the toughest enemy in the game is the
Astral Stalker, who gives 16k XP. His function was never clear to me; Ahriman summons him and sets him on you as retribution for killing the Kraken, but he doesn't actually attack; he just says hi to you once per trip to Dominion Exemplar, even though he doesn't respond to any subjects. You can kill him without consequences, but his regeneration rate is pretty gross. Based on comments in the data file, it looks like he was originally planned to hunt down and kill NPCs, but I'm guessing that's a feature for V2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom