Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the interface/solid HUD threaaaad

Rake

Arcane
Cool story. With access to the sources, a matter of 2-3 hours in reality.
If that's is true why are we even having this discusion? Why Obsidian doesn't make 7 different UI's and let everyone chose his favorite? I would personaly mail Feargus the money a programmer costs for 2 days work.
Could you implement Grotesque's UI in 3 hours?

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If that's is true why are we even having this discusion? Why Obsidian doesn't make 7 different UI's and let everyone chose his favorite? I would personaly mail Feargus the money a programmer costs for 2 days work.

That's why we need $500 for his UI guy, because it's just a simple 2-3 hour job :roll:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

That's why we need $500 for his UI guy, because it's just a simple 2-3 hour job :roll:

You guys are really confused.

It takes a UI artist at least a few days to draw the UI.
It takes the programmer a few hours to implement it when you have access to the source project.
It would take a modder a few days to implement it with the modding framework.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nothing about the original UI was done with modding in consideration. The Solid HUD has *some* things done with modding in consideration, as it was done after Bester produced his mod.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
It takes the programmer a few hours to implement it when you have access to the source project.

I see you keep spewing your bullshit still.
The really sad part is that somebody really believes you when you eat all that crap like Cheerios

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

The really sad part is that somebody really believes you when you eat all that crap like Cheerios

What is your Unity experience again? Oh that's right, you're just a butthurt kid who explodes into nerdrage and calls retards anyone who doesn't like your shit paint skills or says things that hurt your feelings. You can fuck off now.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

What is your Unity experience again? Oh that's right, you're just a butthurt kid who explodes into nerdrage and calls retards anyone who doesn't like your shit paint skills or says things that hurt your feelings. You can fuck off now.

As a matter of fact I am very calm and slightly amused when I see fucked up slags with an overinflated ego such as yourself.
The lead programmer of PoE says that implementing this would take a lot of time of programming. ("It could be a couple of weeks of programming to implement this.")
A nobody from the internet says it would take him/it 2-3 hours tops!

Step 2: Bester, the wonder programmer boy, unveils the Obsidian conspiracy!

PS: calmly GTFO

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Actually, that couple of weeks estimate probably includes both art and programming.

Even if it would take Adam two days of programming to implement a similar UI, the fact that this schmuck said it would take him 3 hours still stands as premium distilled bullshit.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
As a matter of fact I am very calm

So calm that after reading my posts you have to run to another forum with your ass on fire and talk shit about me there. :lol: To the point of people not even understanding what you're raving about.

grocon.png

this schmuck [...]
stands as premium distilled bullshit.

:lol: :hero:

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

So calm that after reading my posts you have to run on another forum with your ass on fire and speak shit about me there. :lol: To the point of people not even understanding what you're raving about.

grocon.png

this schmuck [...]
stands as premium distilled bullshit.

:lol: :hero:

Oh, that's right! Let's focus the discussion on if I am calm or not instead of unearthing your bullshit.
Yeah right! The ravings!!!
The fact remains that even if I am raving or not, you're still nobody who brags on the internet of doing impossible feats for whatever reasons.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I assume everone in this stupid pissing match where no one can be proved right or wrong anyway realises that there's a difference between a modder getting a functional but untested UI using premade assets working and Obsidian needing to discuss, mockup, design, code and test a custom UI for the <1% of backers who even give enough of a shit to think about this. There's a very good chance Obsidian would spend Bester's allocated 3 hours of a couple of people's time just working out what the UI would look like and where everything would go before anyone even starts designing the elements of it.

And I say this as someone who wants a U-shaped UI.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yes, of course.
Keep shoveling your bullshit around

Of course, I'll keep talking on the forums if that's what you mean. I do recommend you see a neurologist before that vein of yours bursts and you find yourself drooling over your keyboard for the rest of your life, moving your mouse spasmodically in Paint and mooing something like "youee... blaaaaawwwghghhh...", before the nurse takes you away for diapers changing :P

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Yes, of course.
Keep shoveling your bullshit around

Of course, I'll keep talking on the forums if that's what you mean. I do recommend you see a neurologist before that vein of yours bursts and you find yourself drooling over your keyboard for the rest of your life, moving your mouse spasmodically in Paint and mooing something like "youee... blaaaaawwwghghhh...", before the nurse takes you away for spoon-feeding :P

2-3 hours

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't understand why you think that statement is ridiculous. In Unity, to do a lot of the UI Programming - you can use the GUI editor rather than having to work in code 100% of the time. If a U shaped UI was implemented, you would mostly just have to move the selection boxes around to match the new buttons, while using the same code. Vertical portraits and a few other things would require some additional work under the hood.

A good (fast) programmer could have it done pretty quickly, subject to testing for bugs.

Rake

Arcane
I don't understand why you think that statement is ridiculous. In Unity, to do a lot of the UI Programming - you can use the GUI editor rather than having to work in code 100% of the time. If a U shaped UI was implemented, you would mostly just have to move the selection boxes around to match the new buttons, while using the same code. Vertical portraits and a few other things would require some additional work under the hood.

A good (fast) programmer could have it done pretty quickly, subject to testing for bugs.
So you are positive that implementing something like Grotesque's UI will be fairly easy and it will come soon after PoE's release?

Sensuki

Arcane
The key to what Bester was saying was "the source project". We do not have access to the source project, we have Bester's modding framework - so it will take a fair bit longer to implement that UI.

Rake

Arcane
The key to what Bester was saying was "the source project". We do not have access to the source project, we have Bester's modding framework - so it will take a fair bit longer to implement that UI.
I'm not talking a couple of hours here, i meant more something like a month or so. Because i would be perfectly willing to delay my first playthrough in order to have a good UI

Sensuki

Arcane
I am not a very good programmer and I have only developed in Java 7,8 and Perl. Bester would have a much better idea than me. I'm quite happy to go by what he says.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think the timeframe Adam was talking about was overall time. Bester may very well be able to knock out the coding in that time, but it's only piece of the puzzle. Design, implementation, resource allocation, coding, testing, and feedback all take time and would have to be shoehorned into what I suspect is an already packed schedule for the folks remaining on the project. The bureaucracy of an actual company by nature is going to make something take longer, but it keeps the project from becoming a chaotic mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom