Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the interface/solid HUD threaaaad

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
dunno right now if that works in poe, or if there's also equipping through double click. either way this option doesn't save the user from clicking the item in the first place. the whole inventory management of the infinity engine games is dreck, and in no way better or more efficient as poe's gui.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
@Grotesque I really like your UI design and hope someone finds a way to mod it into the game. I even made a smaller version of the original UI you posted.

My suggestion is that you make the portraits a bit smaller and since the left side of the screen is being used up anyways, might as well make the buttons bigger for the sake of symmetry. I think you should also move the select all button and another one(stealth maybe) in the space under the portraits. Basically how the BG games did it.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
@Grotesque I really like your UI design and hope someone finds a way to mod it into the game. I even made a smaller version of the original UI you posted.

My suggestion is that you make the portraits a bit smaller and since the left side of the screen is being used up anyways, might as well make the buttons bigger for the sake of symmetry. I think you should also move the select all button and another one(stealth maybe) in the space under the portraits. Basically how the BG games did it.

No, the portraits should definitely have the previous size Grotesque made, taking up almost all space on the right-side bar. Your alternative sucks balls, badly. Like small teeth spread too thinly in a mouth - fucking ugly.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get what you're saying. It's the same as what Grotesque posted, only scaled down.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get what you're saying. It's the same as what Grotesque posted, only scaled down.

Zaza_3.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

My redesigned main interface

This is just amazing, seriously, it is very well done. My only critique is that in the last picture the dialogue box obscures the middle of the screen if expanded. But I don't know how could you make an expanding UI without obscuring the view. Who cares, somebody mod this into the final game. :D

In the mockup I'll make for 4:3 monitors, the log will be positioned like in Baldur's Gate.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I like the UI that guy posted a lot, but also thought it was too obtrusive, so I made it a bit smaller.

M3CV3ue.jpg

I cba asking for permission, hopefully he doesn't mind.

That is the first version I made. Since then I made another revised version based on Adam Brennecke feedback:

"Just for fun, I want to point out some of the hell we have to go through when designing UI. Thanks for being a good sport! I encourage people to keep making mock ups because it might show something that we haven't thought of yet. If Kaz showed me this I would give him these notes to work on:

1. Combat log wouldn't resize properly in that position. It would quickly overlap the camp and stronghold buttons, and it would be even more problematic if you made the backing solid - probably not ideal. It might work better if you made the log look and work like BG2 and it expanded the entire length of the middle and could be resized up and down.

2. There's many more abilities that can be displayed that what you have room for (remember you also need to account for quick items and items that grant abilities). There's no room on the right to expand it. I'm not sure of the ability count that you need account for. First level priests have nine spells.

3. Our general policy is any mock up needs to display status effects, chants, focus, wounds, animal companions, etc. These are pretty important to display on the HUD. You have the room for it, so it's not that big of a deal, but I thought I would mention it.

4. You are missing the formation and stealth buttons. Again not that big of a deal since you have the space.

I suggest making the portraits larger, just to see how it looks since you have the room for it, and move all of the middle elements to the left side and make them smaller.

Kaz would have to show mock ups for varied resolutions include high and low res 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 to see how things fit together. This can be a pain in the ass, but it will save hours of time down the line if he finds things don't fit in a particular resolution or aspect ratio.

I really like the look of it. It's a great start, and thanks for sharing!
original.gif

-Adam"

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
a good layout manager can resize that log fine when the resolution scales up/down.

polo

Magister
Looks awesome man. I don't even have a problem with PoE UI, but after seeing yours i really wish to play the game with it. Also, was going to say its kind of too thick on both sides, but didn't know PoE could be zoomed out that far.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
What does everyone think of non-symmetrical sidebars? It feels like the left size takes up a lot of space which could be minimised (reduce formations to a single button with a popup; run the other icons in a column down the side) - but I really like the large portraits. Otherwise it looks great.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What does everyone think of non-symmetrical sidebars? It feels like the left size takes up a lot of space which could be minimised (reduce formations to a single button with a popup; run the other icons in a column down the side) - but I really like the large portraits. Otherwise it looks great.
I think with monitors that have a resolution of 1080p or 1680x1050, we don't lose much with a thicker side bar. The view area is still quite large, especially with being able to zoom out.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Cumulus.png

The spell/ability UI section depending on selected class: Fighter, WIzard and Chanter

The dark blue gems depict the number of prepared chants (3/4 in this case) with the second prepared chant being the active one.

Three invocations of level one are available for casting in this case.

Arkeus

Arcane
You should post that UI on the obsidian forum when it's completed.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
You should PM the devs and offer them all your assets so they can go through how you've constructed it and copy it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Grotesque Your newest version is so massively superior to the currently existing solid UI, I hope OE seriously considers it.

My only concern is: what does it look like when you minimize the left vertical bar? This is the classic way some of us played the IE games, with the reverse-L interface.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grotesque Your newest version is so massively superior to the currently existing solid UI, I hope OE seriously considers it.

My only concern is: what does it look like when you minimize the left vertical bar? This is the classic way some of us played the IE games, with the reverse-L interface.
You could minimize the left bar in the IE games? O.o Guess you learn something new every day. :D

Seaking4

Learned
Turning off the left bar is the first thing I do. I can't remember ever needing the buttons on the left side when I can just use the keyboard.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

no_left.png

You should post that UI on the obsidian forum when it's completed.

This last UI is a redesign based on Adam Brennecke's feedback regarding the first version on their forums

You should PM the devs and offer them all your assets so they can go through how you've constructed it and copy it.

I will not PM them because it would be arrogant.
Adam saw the redesigned main UI (I saw him active on the post reading it) but he chose not to comment on it this time which is too bad because he could pointed at its flaws in its current form.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom