Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "Indiepocalypse" is now a thing

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller If you had launched a couple of years ago at peak time on steam you prob would have walked away with millions.
Did Vogel walk away with millions? I don't think so.

All this indiepocalypse thing simply means that before it was easier to get noticed with very little effort and now you have to work for it. However, getting noticed and making tons of money are two different things.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Did Vogel walk away with millions? I don't think so.

You really should invest more into the Lore skill, especially as its dirt cheap now. Including the very good handheld sales of the Avadon I, Vogel definitely had at least two millions, maybe two and a half. For a guy of his scale and business attitude that's more than he could ever dreamed of. That's why he started shitting all over his old fans - because he thought he was no longer Jeff "Bottom Feeder" Vogel, he now was the Jeff "BigIndieCock" Vogel.

And while his success was relatively shortlasted (mostly due to him acting like a greedy fucktard & refusing to invest anything in his games' quality) and his Avernum 2 once again sold the whopping 7k copies (compared to the 80k of Avenrum I), considering it hardly cost anything, both resource & time-wise, to make it... Yeah, Vogel is the guy who shat all over the world and walked away with millions, we can be legally envious of him.

Telengard

Arcane
You really should invest more into the Lore skill, especially as its dirt cheap now. Including the very good handheld sales of the Avadon I, Vogel definitely had at least two millions, maybe two and a half. For a guy of his scale and business attitude that's more than he could ever dreamed of. That's why he started shitting all over his old fans - because he thought he was no longer Jeff "Bottom Feeder" Vogel, he now was the Jeff "BigIndieCock" Vogel.

And while his success was relatively shortlasted (mostly due to him acting like a greedy fucktard & refusing to invest anything in his games' quality) and his Avernum 2 once again sold the whopping 7k copies (compared to the 80k of Avenrum I), considering it hardly cost anything, both resource & time-wise, to make it... Yeah, Vogel is the guy who shat all over the world and walked away with millions, we can be legally envious of him.
Vogel actually has employees, so he actually also spend six figures a year, just with that.

Or to be really crazy about it, that mom and pop store down the street from you that got ate up by WalMart the other day, it probably did over a million turnover in goods every year. But the profit margin was 2%. Which translates to an okay five figure income, but secretaries earn more.

Telengard

Arcane
Plus, people should stop being such Steamtards. There's less games on the market every year for years now. It's actually easier to get noticed now than it was before.

Only difference, when Steam was curated, if the mighty hand of Lord Gaben chose you to be on Steam and on their front page, you got huge notice. Notice that didn't always translate to sales, but it was notice. Still, you first had to be noticed by the might hand of Lord Gaben, which was not a simple process, so most indies languished in obscurity away from Steam, just as they do now on Steam.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Pope Amole II

Avadon sold whooping 215k copies but the price is unclear (the current price is $2). Not to mention that Avadon was sold in at least 3 bundles:
http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/Avadon:_The_Black_Fortress

I have no idea how many copies were sold at full price or even at $10. At one point Legend of Grimrock developers disclosed that 400,000 copies (2/3 of their total sales at the time) were sold via bundles, so it's nearly impossible to estimate sales looking at the number of copies on steamspy.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Vogel actually has employees, so he actually also spend six figures a year, just with that.

Of course he doesn't. For most of his life, the entirety of his income was coming from selling 4k copies of $25 games on a yearly basis - even with 0% taxes, that would be 100k, the lowest six figures number that there is. And because taxes obviously exist, he'd died of starvation if he had expenses like that.

You're just talking about what you don't know - his "team" consists of one accountant (who is definitely part-time - there is this type of accountants who aren't tied to anything big but help a number of small businesses instead) and one part-time artist (because his games just don't have enough fresh art to make the artist busy full-time). They cost him 10-15k tops - anything bigger than that and he'd sunk. And after his success, nothing has changed.

so it's nearly impossible to estimate sales looking at the number of copies on steamspy.

Dude, you just look at the overall steamspy stats for his games and you know that he's earned 1.5-2kk. Bundles or not. The numbers are way too big - even if he was earning $3 on the average, for old and new stuff combined, he'd make it. And that's even without accounting for the tablet sales (which were the initial huge success of avadon - not the steam).

That was simply the power of ploughing through the virginity of indie market during 2011, when she was fresh, young and beautiful. Not now when devs are fucking the old, worn-out syphilitic whore and they don't even have the dubious luxury of doing this alone - they have to share.

It's probably (definitely) unfair that the "proud-of-being-a-hack" Vogel took that (especially with the hackiest project he's ever released, the one that was 100% hack, the pure crysallization of it) and not some more ambitious, artistic and well-thought project, but, well, history is full of shitty examples like this one. First come, first served.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's probably (definitely) unfair that the "proud-of-being-a-hack" Vogel took that (especially with the hackiest project he's ever released, the one that was 100% hack, the pure crysallization of it) and not some more ambitious, artistic and well-thought project, but, well, history is full of shitty examples like this one. First come, first served.
Why is it unfair? He kept making RPGs when nobody else did and made quite a few memorable games (with shitty graphics). If he did make a killing, it's not because the field was empty in those days but because he had a shitload of games to sell and made new ones faster than anyone else in the business. Not a single game is a smashing success by Steam's standards, not a single game was sold without the bundle crutches, but he had many games to offer and it does add up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Vogel made some of the best rpg's out there, in the form of exile and geneforge, then he became old, lazy and greedy and hasnt made anything worth while.

I actually enjoyed parts of Avadon, but its far from his best work.

Telengard

Arcane
Of course he doesn't. For most of his life, the entirety of his income was coming from selling 4k copies of $25 games on a yearly basis - even with 0% taxes, that would be 100k, the lowest six figures number that there is. And because taxes obviously exist, he'd died of starvation if he had expenses like that.

You're just talking about what you don't know - his "team" consists of one accountant (who is definitely part-time - there is this type of accountants who aren't tied to anything big but help a number of small businesses instead) and one part-time artist (because his games just don't have enough fresh art to make the artist busy full-time). They cost him 10-15k tops - anything bigger than that and he'd sunk. And after his success, nothing has changed.
Unless you are declaring Vogel a liar, since the six figure cost is from his own mouth, and can even now be found on his blog, then no.

EDIT: I'm home now, so for the intellectually challenged:
Vogel said:
Spiderweb Software has three full-time employees, including me.
Even if he was crass enough to give everyone minimum wage (when the average programmer earns 75k), that would still amount to $45k in direct salaries, or roughly $47.5 in employer expenses. For those who don't know about business (most of you, I come to reckon), the owner drawing a salary is a very common business structure. Put that together with two full time employees, and it's hard not to hit the six figures. After all, secretaries earn an average of $33k, and - speaking generally here - people with college degrees want to earn more than secretaries.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sergey "SteamSpy dude" Galyonkin weighs in: https://medium.com/steam-spy/on-indiepocalypse-what-is-really-killing-indie-games-3da3c3a1ea76

On #Indiepocalypse:
What is really killing indie games

As you might have heard, indie games are heading towards the extinction, despite the fact that we’re now seeing more indie games released than ever.

By now you’ve probably seen this graph a million times. It shows median ownership of games released each month on Steam in the last few years and as you can tell it has been dropping steadily since Greenlight introduction. Take a good look again, will you?

1*eWQoMi-ZKPfpXb6NTEJiyQ.png

Ooh, scary!
Is it the first time?
Games industry has been experiencing “apocalyptic events” every few years since the first Pong machines hit the market. In fact the first video games crash happened five years after this memorable date and was called “Pong crash” back then.

What happened is that many companies began to produce and sell their own Pong machines — clones of the original one. Market got flooded with the same games, competition became fierce and gamers (they didn’t call them gamers back then) got tired of Pong and went on to play something different. So, the overcrowded market of Pong machines crashed.

But the games industry, of course, didn’t.

In 1982 Atari, driven by incredible demand from stores, printed 2.5 million copies of movie tie-in game “E.T.”. Unfortunately for Atari, retail stores vastly overestimated the demand and sold only 1.5 million copies. Well, not “only” — 1.5M copies sold made E.T. the best selling game of 1982. Even today this number looks very impressive: GTA V for PC sold less in the same time frame.

But of course Atari had to eat the expense of the remaining 1 million copies and it was almost enough to sink the company. That’s why contracts between retail stores and game publishers have been changed to only allow for partial return of unsold copies.

But, again, games industry didn’t crash. In fact, 1983 was very healthy year for the game sales, and most developers in 1983 didn’t suspect that we’d later call this “The big video game crash”. Because it wasn’t neither big, nor crash at all.

1*5kUIQIQRDIxxtbS1vKtAtw.png

After that apocalyptic events continued to wipe out gaming industry every few years. Remember home computers crash, when ZX-Spectrum and Commodore games just disappeared from stores? I do, I was a hobbyist developer back then, working on games for ZX-Speccy.

Then, of course, was death of 2D games heralded by the arrival of PlayStation and now infamous death of PC games, when in 2002–2005 many retail stores in US stopped selling those. That’s why we have Steam now, but back then it was apparent to every observer that PC games are no more and we should just move to whatever Nintendo has in store.

General gaming audience might have missed the death of casual games with the arrival of social networks, when older female audience stopped buying hidden object games about sexy vampires and moved on to farm virtual land in Facebook games. Those are dead now too — thanks Apple and Google, you’ve killed a whole industry!

And now we’re here, at the dawn of #Indiepocalypse, that is sure to wipe every indie game and replace them with Clash of Clans clones.

What causes this?
Mirko Ernkvist detailed three key drivers that lead to changes like this. Of course, he wasn’t talking about Indiepocalypse, but all his three factors apply here as well.

Disruptive technology — Unity, Unreal and many other ready available professional-grade tools made developing games seem easy. Even my son managed to make a simple platforming game in Unity when he was 13 years old.

That leads us to the second horseman of the apocalypse — low barrier of entry. Because everyone now has access to necessary tools and education, everyone can, theoretically, develop a game. It leads to the flood of aspiring game developers, trying to create something new.

The flood creates the third key driver — lack of differentiation. How many retro-style action platformers do we really need? Do we actually want this many bad-looking games with fake “8-bit” graphics? I mean, some of them are good, brilliant even, but how can you hope to find a great game when they all look the same?

Are we facing unique challenges?
Now let me take a detour from all this apocalyptic talk for a bit and brag about my hobby.

I’m a photographer. I love taking pictures, I take my camera everywhere and my friends are kind enough to let me snap a photo or two when they’re doing something interesting.

I hate everything else about photography. I’ve stopped developing my film the moment Kodak labs arrived, I was one of the first people to switch to digital cameras at cost of the picture quality and I’m so lazy that I only use presets in Lightroom, never ever going into manual adjustments or trouble of launching Photoshop. I don’t even have it installed, despite buying it couple of years ago.

Oh, but I love the bragging part.

I’m not great, but I’m good enough, so you might have seen my pictures. Here are Anna Bashmakova and Sergey Orlovsky trying the first Oculus VR Dev Kit. Quick snaps, but press seems to use these pictures a lot.

1*CvY2RMJDvxUgjQperThdMA.jpeg

Fun fact: Anna isn’t amazed by virtual reality on this photo. She is trying not to fall down, because Oculus isn’t plugged in yet.

1*N6QibyBvUVlXVNOyB1K1yg.jpeg

I even sold some of my pictures and was printed in Forbes, Wired, Official PlayStation and on cover of Chinese edition of Chip (they haven’t paid a dime though).

But because I don’t treat my photography as a business, it can’t financially sustain me or my family. I like taking pictures, it’s a great rewarding hobby, but I would never dare to call myself an indie just because I’m not taking it seriously enough. I’m not an indie, I’m an amateur.

Now, ten years ago, when digital cameras started to popup in every single device available (mostly in mobile phones, of course) photography was doomed.

You’re complaining about 6 thousand developers on Steam?
Try competing with 2 billion photographers taking
tens of millions pictures every single day!
And, despite that, or, actually, thanks to that, professional photography strives. There are more professional photographers than ever and art of photography was elevated, leading us to better and more visually interesting pictures than fifty years ago.

Amateur or indie?
I would go as far as to claim that I’m taking better pictures than an average professional photographer back then — I have access to better tools and I’m building on the knowledge and practices those amazingly talented people established.

As an indie or, let’s face it, amateur developers, you also have access to better tools than Sid Meier or Richard Garriot had back then. And you are also building on works of titans, using forty years of great games as a foundation and inspiration for your own.

But you’re not competing against Sid Meier of 1986. You’re competing against him (and many other talented developers) in 2016, where everyone has access to the same tools, knowledge and distribution platforms.

The fact that your game is better than most games in 1984, 1994, 2004 or 2014 doesn’t mean anything. Your game has to be better than everything that is going to be released this year or, preferably, next year as well.

1*uIBPsCAXT_L-4foSPR45FQ.jpeg

This little device has doomed an entire industry. Or didn’t.
Triple Indies
and other new terms

That is the reason I don’t buy into “triple indie” argument that suggest that indie developers have to become bigger and make more expensive games. I mean, it might be a sound strategy for some developers, but it’s not the only solution.

I think it boils down not to “Indie vs AAA” or to “Indie vs Triple-I vs AAA” but to “Hobby vs Business”.

Many indie developers love making games just for the sake of making games. They don’t want to do marketing, because it’s distracting, they don’t want to do financial planning, because it’s boring and they don’t like calculating ROI or analytics, because it’s not why they’ve started developing games.

And you know what? It’s fine. I’m one of those people when it comes to photography. I understand them and I’m doing exactly the same. But I’m not mistaking my lack of business approach to my hobby for the oppressive environment that’s killing my attempts to make money. I’m the one responsible for not making money on my photography, not 2 billion people with pocket cameras and smartphones and certainly not Google Image Search.

So if you don’t want to treat game development as any other business, don’t call yourself an indie. You’re an amateur and people like you are moving our industry forward, but you’re probably not going to make a lot of money (if any) doing so.

If you treat game development as a business, do your homework, research the market, talk to the press and plan your finances, you’re running a business. And then it doesn’t really matter if you’re one guy in his basement hiring freelancers when needed, or a full team. Because you know how much money you have to spend and earn so you don’t go out of business. You don’t have to become “Triple Indie” if you don’t need that many people or games that big to survive.

Of course, you still might fail as any other business might. But your chances of surviving will be way higher than for amateurs that aren’t treating business as expected and only here to have fun making games.

The discovery problem
Steam is no longer a discovery mechanism. And even when it was, it wasn’t really a good one, because it would only allow you to find handful of new games available on a single digital store. Do you think people could find League of Legends on Steam? But it didn’t stop Riot.

You shouldn’t treat Steam as your main promotional tool. It still could be useful in this regard, but Steam today is more like bookstore than classic games shop. When you walk into a bookstore, you wouldn’t probably be able to find a good book for you. I’ve just checked the bookstore nearby and all it had on “New and Top Selling” shelf were books about light spanking and bondage with young attractive millionaires and about surviving office politics. Both topics are probably related.

To buy a hard copy of “The Martian” by Andy Weir I had to walk to the back of the store and literally dig through hundred or so of sci-fi books. Works of Robert Heinlein, Arthur Clarke, and even Lee Harper for some reason are stacked in one place. You can’t find a book you want unless you know exactly what you’re looking for. That’s Steam today.

1*mciMxRkjHOxUqVTZtFclhg.jpeg

Seriously, this is Steam right now
Steam provides the means of selling the game and it also offers you some basic customer relations tools for free. But it by no means is a complete solution for game development, publishing and marketing and never claimed to be one.

So you’re left with your own means of marketing communications, which are plenty. Not only you have dozens of magazines, thousands of websites and blogs at your disposal, you also have access to hundreds of video programs — so called Youtubers. Imagine how hard it was getting your game in front of million viewers twenty years ago!

It’s not easy to market your game and it never was, but it’s now easier than ever: you no longer have to buy an expensive two-page advertisements in printed magazines or throw an all-expenses paid press events on Hawaii. Just get some of many thousands gaming enthusiasts with an audience interested in your game! If you can’t get any of them to pay attention to your game, why do you think gamers would?

Here is a graph about Youtube views and game sales for all paid games released in August, 2015.

1*g6JlbqO9YcQ4y-Il8TsyZw.png

Please note that both scales on this graph are logarithmic
As you can see YouTube exposure strongly correlates with sales even in the first month after game release. The correlation becomes stronger as the time passes.

Of course, it might also mean that Youtubers are more likely to cover good games that are more likely to sell well.

Back to that scary graph
Remember that graph from the beginning of the article that you’ve seen a million times? I’m going to show it again, sorry.

1*eWQoMi-ZKPfpXb6NTEJiyQ.png

I honestly have a point to prove here, just go with it
Now that we’re aware about difference between business and hobby, let’s take a look at top 10 selling games each month and what does it take to be at least #10 on Steam?

1*qBt0Rk4jgZxYT2yl5yGCGA.png

Not so scary now! Some falloff is attributed to recent games not being bundled yet
Hey, not so bad! It seems that nobody is dying and monthly top ten games aren’t affected by the influx of three hundred new games every month. Who would have thought?

Let’s take a good look on developers entering the market vs developers creating their second or third game. Unsurprisingly developers with at least one game published on Steam, have better sales on average than newcomers. And this effect increases over time.

1*DW2HhxexlBtqw8yiKPJWDw.png

Of course we can’t tell who is treating their gaming company as hobby and who as a business.

But here is another finding — it doesn’t really matter if your first game sold a lot of copies or not. There is no correlation between the sales of the first game and chances of releasing the second one. All it matters is that you survive your first game, learn from it and have enough resources and willpower to continue.

1*Kdhk4sCV-ycy7mEq9d7q_w.png

It is harder for first games than before.
Yes, established developers have an advantage over newcomers. It’s true in every business environment — that’s why we have brands, loyalty programs, customer support and many other things that do not really help our first product (or the first sale), but lay a foundation for continued relationships with our clients.

Summary
So, what is really killing indie games and are they dying at all?

It would seem that the main culprit are indie games themselves.
The rising quality bar leads to more indie games failing, but it also leads to better games and that’s ultimately is what we’re here for — to create amazing experiences for our customers.

Steam did what everyone wanted — it stopped being Arstotzka-style border guard between game developers and gamers, allowing everyone to sell their games.

It was always your responsibility to create and market your game. You can’t expect some automated discovery algorithm or third-party service to just bring you money and fame. And while it is in fact harder marketing the games in the “holy 2013” way (put your game on Steam, receive money, brag on Twitter), it’s now possible to market your game in many other new ways that, of course, involve a lot of work.

If you want to stay in business of making games, you should treat it as business.

Destroid

Arcane
At least steam used to give you some nice exposure in exchange for taking 30% of the revenue.

Thane Solus

Arcane
At least steam used to give you some nice exposure in exchange for taking 30% of the revenue.

USED TO. Now the exposure they give you and the conversion is almost equal to nothing, but it depends on the game, the gimmick of the month... "hahha, meme game", "hahaha, mobile port awesome from big publisher", "hahaha, another horror game","oh gawd, my waifu".

Its still better than other worthless shops, but it wont get you too far, unless the game is pleasing some certain part of the gamers.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://archive.is/h3me2

The mobile games market is an absolute mess,
thanks to you

Consumers and developers must work together to bring back the golden age of mobile gaming
Tweet
Opinion
bf31fde53ac8be45fe85aae5d56f27e86e30eec7.png

Follow Polygon Now!

Ă—
597f950a3f26f56b67118202d57925a47fbd2284.jpg
Opinion by Aksel Junkilla on Oct 19, 2015 at 3:50p Click for more on how Polygon writes opinion pieces.
A mobile game my team and I poured our hearts and souls into is receiving rave reviews from users. The game, Battlestation: Harbinger , was featured by both Apple and Google as one of the best new games in their respective marketplaces.
You may think that congratulations are in order. You might think that my team and I popped some Champagne and headed out on a well-deserved vacation. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Even with these successes, my company and I are in the red, desperate to bring in more money before we have to lay off our workers and close our doors for good.
The problem with mobile
You see, we have a problem in the mobile gaming sector, thanks to you. You would rather buy a pumpkin spice latte a few times a week and enjoy it for a few minutes than buy a game that you can play as long as you would like. In order for creative games to be made, there needs to be a major culture shift. We need to be willing to spend a few dollars on a quality app, rather than for a few extra lives or other in-game purchases.
Being a mobile game developer for four years has made me realize a lot of things that are wrong with the market. First, only certain games can bring in money for developers. Second, only certain types of players will find it easy to find games suitable for them. Third, classical conditioning makes a lot of players feel entitled to have everything for free and punish developers for asking money.
Even apps that find success in their marketing campaigns cannot make up the money spent on development because people would rather spend $5 on a latte every other day than on the app. Why? Because the most popular games are free-to-play, with a monetization model that lets most players play for free while milking some customers for thousands of dollars.
Most players have become conditioned to feel entitled to free content more and more. The price of a game is not compared to a latte; it is compared to the price of another game.
Essentially, these customers who pay thousands, these "whales," pay for the fun for everyone. Throw out a game with one free episode and the rest to unlock for $5 and you will have a problem on your hands. This model — one that many old-school players find very fair, a try before you buy — is not a model that works well these days. Users see a $5 price tag for more content and they quit the game and go back to sipping their lattes.
Players have a very real power to impact the sales of a game through ratings. With many of our mobile games, we have users blackmail us with ratings. They will rate the game with one star, and then send us a message demanding the game be made free for them in order for them to "correct" their review.
It's extremely frustrating for us. On top of this, there is no way for us to request the removal of these reviews on either Apple or Google's marketplaces, so if we refuse to give in, these negative reviews remain for the lifetime of the game. Unless we have hundreds of reviews already pouring in, these initial negative reviews can be a game-breaker for small companies like mine.
The whole market is heavily focused on the mass-market spectrum, and it all stems from one thing: To make money as a mobile game developer you have to have your game high enough up in the top lists. If your game isn't there, you will not sell enough units to make ends meet. On the surface, that may seem to make sense; these app store lists work on certain algorithms to promote what is already popular. But there is a problem with this: Games that appeal to the masses have a clear advantage over games for niche markets.
Since the difference in income is so huge, it makes the decision for a developer almost binary. Either we make a mass-appealing game — the Clash es of Clans or Candy Crush es — and have a chance to make a living, or we make a niche game and have no chance at all.
One game developer alone cannot change this, but many together can
At the end of the day, all these factors make creating good content for mobile devices more and more difficult.
Is it really this black and white? From my experience, yes. We released Battlestation: Harbinger on Aug. 13. Despite being featured by both Google and Apple, the game isn't selling enough to make up for development expenses. A few niche games manage to make a little bit of money to support a small studio, but it is very rare. This all leads to a situation where only a certain type of game is viable to make business-wise; the market is forcing every developer to act in the same way.
This can change
There needs to be a twofold culture shift. The first step is one I already mentioned: Gamers need to learn to vote with their money. This will allow developers to build the great games that everyone wants to see on the expanding mobile platform.
Many serious gamers complain about all the casual games coming out for mobile, but don't support the serious game developers that build the games that they want! Remember when you would fork over $40 for Zelda or Pokémon games on Game Boy? Imagine the amazing games we could play on our phones if we paid developers enough to create them! One such game that you can support is Battlestation .
The other shift needs to be from the developer side. Game developers are fighting against each other, when they should realize that we are allies as well as rivals. While we are rivals in achieving visibility, we are allies against the classical conditioning, the market today and the undervaluing of our hard work.
One game developer alone cannot change this, but many together can. We as game developers did this to ourselves by competing so fiercely against each other that we lowered the price of our work more and more, so much so that now a consumer won't pay even a few dollars for a game. We have created a mess that can only be solved by working together.
As the industry stands, there is no room for creativity anymore, no room for the passion projects. There is only room for those who want to build games that milk their customers without making them angry, because that is the only way we can survive. It is not about making good games right now — the consumer doesn't care enough. I hope that we can come together to enact change in the industry, before the effects become irreversible.
Aksel Junkilla is the founder and CEO of the up-and-coming BugByte Ltd, in Turku, Finland. Junkilla and his team created Battlestation: Harbinger , which will be ported to PC/Mac/Linux early 2016, and has a Kickstarter you can help out with .

pippin

There was a golden age of mobile gaming? Or it's just them pretending the Game Boy is "mobile gaming"?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
TL;DR I made a bunch of bad decisions and it's the customer's job to fix it so I can be successful like I deserve, you fucks.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Remember, if you were pleased Steam began offering refunds or were upset over Bethesda wanting to charge for mods, you're an entitled piece of shit, but indie developers are owed success regardless of their decisions about the aspects of the process they control.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Players have a very real power to impact the sales of a game through ratings. With many of our mobile games, we have users blackmail us with ratings. They will rate the game with one star, and then send us a message demanding the game be made free for them in order for them to "correct" their review.

:lol: God damn mobile market is shit.
And he still expects some kind co-operation from customers.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The mobile market is pretty bad, and Firaxis and HBS realized that it's not sustainable for the kind of games they make. It's not only the audience, but also the companies controlling the app stores, which don't really care and therefore support sustainable development. Like you can't even give discounts to current owners if you release a new version.

I checked the trailer for the game, and it didn't seem really interesting. If you compete with thousands of free titles, which are "good enough" for a couple of minutes of distraction, you really have to stand out.

Gerrard

Arcane
the golden age of mobile gaming

The what now?

Can someone tell me why the FUCK does clicking "Reply" not include the quotes from the post you're replying to?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Can someone tell me why the FUCK does clicking "Reply" not include the quotes from the post you're replying to?
I like it better this way, before we had idiots making huge quote pyramids because they couldn't be fucked to delete earlier posts in the conversation.

Mozg

Arcane
Indivisible has an obviously high quality ~30 minute prototype and it is failing hard as balls on indiegogo

Granted it is in a genre no one actually wants (Valkyrie-Profile-like; mixing up an abstruse combo-based control scheme with dull JRPG gameplay) but they pretty much did it right (not passing off bullshit funding levels, being up front with publisher involvement, complete prototype) and it's not gonna happen.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
the golden age of mobile gaming

The what now?

Precisely. I tried to think of mobile games that have done more than just being media sensations or have become known outside of the "mobile gaming" genre.

I came up with two games: Angry Birds and Candy Crush.

There's a difference between handheld gaming and mobile gaming. The former is a firmly-established genre with a 25-year history, the latter is used to describe games that work on mobile devices and have a roughly 10-year history (if you don't count pre-installed games on the old cellphones like Snake) on platforms like the N-Gage.

I'll admit that I like the concept of games that put the mobile device's geopositioning to good use, but beyond that it's just a rehash of everything that's come before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom