Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Indie Bundle Mega Thread

Kitako

Arcane
Any comment about SpaceForce Rogue Universe? Never heard of it. From the video can't say if it's a Freespace wannabe (instabuy in that case), or just another pewpew button masher.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played it a few years back. I don't remember much about it except that I ditched it after only a few hours. That could only mean I didn't enjoy it.

It seems the space sim genre (like the space 4X genre) is filled with mediocre garbage and the old classics remain the only ones that are really worth playing. I don't know what it is, but it seems developers simply can't do either space sims or space 4X games right.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Magical Diary is a lesson in game design... one girl made by herself a anime-inspired romance visual-novel that has a more interesting implementation of magic than any virgin neckbeard sitting on a throne of RPG rulesets and old-school game boxes ever did.

Also, she likes Fallout:

Georgina Bensley once had a ColecoVision, and it gave her a lifelong fondness for games that are small and simple but well-designed and fun. Some of her (slightly) more recent favorites include the classic Quest adventure games from Sierra, the never-officially-released Princess Maker, and the excellent Fallout RPG series. She prefers a good story to a twitchy-trigger-finger challenge, and feels that the world does not need yet another 3D action game. She is also a fan of anime, which is reflected in the company name and graphical design of games.
:desu:

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Magical Diary was honestly a huge influence on my life in the past year, it's one of those games that you need to absorb in its entirety to actually empathize with the characters. I don't believe you can go into Magical Diary with the idea of "this game isn't going to be good" and still expect to come out enjoying it. Hard-on Hoagie, this isn't a game so much as it is a journey. A journey through the life of one misguided girl who has to come to terms with her introduction to the magical world, while also dealing with the trials and tribulations of a high school girl. If you truly understand the game world, you cry when Ellen cries, you laugh when Virginia laughs, and when Grabiner yells, you feel his rage. You must go into the game with an open mind and an open heart, ready to experience the all-so-familiar struggles that you'll deal with in your new life as a witch. When you start up Magical Diary, your first thought should be along the lines of, "How will I, Dong Sub, immerse myself into the world of Grabiner, Ellen, Virginia, and the rest of the cast today?" In making this (fantastic) game, Hanako Games truly took their time to hide intricate messages and references within the text, and skipping past all of the text ruins the novella that Hanako Games worked so painfully to create. You see, ♥♥♥♥ Hero, the world of Magical Diary is what you make it. You don't go into Magical Diary looking for "a laugh." You enter into the world looking for a journey unlike any other in modern videogaming. You come for a vacation from the tropes that plague 21st century writing. You come for an adventure far away from the FPS-dominated market that is videogames. You come for an experience. You come for a journey. You come for Magical Diary.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Don't agree, you were probably playing it wrong. I played with the aim of always completing the battle with max difficulty, going with the easier levels if I failed to pass. Furthest I had to go was 4-5 battles ahead. The difficulty curve was pretty solid for me, the few show stoppers being clearly "puzzle levels" that required a specific solution on highest difficulty.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I played with the aim of always completing the battle with max difficulty, going with the easier levels if I failed to pass.
That's the problem. Max difficulty is not always doable, no matter how good you are. You will have to level up and come back later, something I feel that cheapens it... you didn't git gud at it, you just got better stats.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is just clearly designed for that. Some max level rewards would trivialize otherwise difficult fights, while the new spells/units you unlock allow new solutions for revisiting old fights. As long as you were able to recognize when a fight was unwinnable for your current state, the game felt just about perfectly challenging for me. As with any RPG, balance can be broken by grinding too much, but I've long since learned not to go into that pitfall.

I wouldn't have liked the game nearly as much if it'd had the traditional one-difficulty-level approach. Now I could complete the game in one playthrough.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a Sim bundle on Groupees, with stuff like a farming sim and even a cop sim, which looks like it will be somewhere in the vicinity of lulzy.

Angthoron

Arcane
There's a Sim bundle on Groupees, with stuff like a farming sim and even a cop sim, which looks like it will be somewhere in the vicinity of lulzy.
There was some hilarious youtube video of amazing gameplay and AI of this one, I think it was even posted in BTE, but can't be sure. It's like a more mature take on Goat Simulator.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The "pc + android 9" bundle is rather good.

I bought this for "Syder Arcade" a fun shmup. It also contains two excellent adventure games I already owned namely Broken Sword 2 and the Shivah. I don't know the other games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm trying to avoid Humble Bundle since the last time I purchased it, it gave me a single Steam key for all the games offered. I was hoping to just purchase the couple games I wanted and send the Steam keys for the rest to others. I don't like the idea of having games I'll never play just sitting there in my Steam account.

If Shivah shows up on another GOG sale or in a different bundle, I'll probably jump on the purchase then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom