Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Part III Released

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there any worth review of that game? Like blog dedicated for cRPGs/h'n's games? I didn't read any review since 2007 because reviewers are mostly worthless and mentally numb.
Just to find all differences between first game and sequel.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any worth review of that game? Like blog dedicated for cRPGs/h'n's games? I didn't read any review since 2007 because reviewers are mostly worthless and mentally numb.
Just to find all differences between first game and sequel.
You'll probably have to wait for GameBanshee review, or at least RPGWatch one.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Part III of this is coming later this month. Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359900

Here's a rather short preview (by a Diablo 3 fan to boot) that I just came across: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/4268-the-incredible-adventures-of-van-helsing-iii-impressions

The opening scene in this third and final installment of NeocoreGames’ The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing trilogy quickly sets the tone of the game in an eerie but familiar 19th century European city, a la Penny Dreadful (the wonderful series on Showtime). Van Helsing and his ghost/specter companion Lady Katarina are traversing the city of Borgovia in an attempt to figure out its secrets and put an end to its most dangerous monster yet - which just so happens to be none other than Van Helsing's arch nemesis. The sequence explains the events of the previous game and works adequately as a primer for those that are playing this series for the first time.

In this preview build, Protector became my class of choice.

The final game will feature a total of 6 classes at launch (Bounty Hunter, Protector, Elementalist Umbralist, Phlogistoneer and Constructor), but this Preview Build only gave the option to play as a Protector or Elementalist. Much of my time in VH3’s world was spent as a Protector mainly because the Elementalist proved to be a bit squishy unless I kept him at a distance during these early levels.

When creating a new character in this preview build I spotted a button that offers a character import - currently unavailable, but of note and something that leaves me curious as to how it'll function in the full version.

The Protector class is beefier and thus properly equipped to withstand my desire to run up and start slashing away at a group of enemies. I found myself giggling every time I used the Smite skill to rush in and knock down a group of baddies in my path. Using AoE skills (Spike Swing) would leave my character open and more vulnerable to enemy attacks, while the main attack (Smashing Blow) is fairly strong.

Keeping the main attack button pressed releases an automated combo which does significant single mob damage. Rather than being primarily defensive, the blocking skill in the game added a nice bonus to damage if timed correctly.

Like many other action RPGs, levels come via experience points from completing quests or slashing your way through hordes of monsters. Ability points are gained through level progression, and are often awarded when completing quests. The ability points can be used to unlock and upgrade the many active and passive skills offered to your character and spirit pal, Katarina.

Each skill can be upgraded multiple times to enhance its potency. Cool-down timers or mana regulate active skills. Each active skill has 3 buffs that once activated will deplete your rage, which is gained by defeating monsters. Not only do you have the option to customize Katarina’s set of skills but also her play-style (Defend, Assist, Weakest, Vulnerable), her appearance, and you have the choice of tasking her to collect all of your loot.

The UI layout changes whether playing with keyboard/mouse or a gamepad. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the preview build has gamepad support (I was quick to jump on that!).

Equipping armor and weapons on your character, as well as Katarina, is done via a very familiar-looking wheel, segmented by the armor/weapon slots - a system with positive similarities, it has to be said, to Diablo 3's console version.

The keyboard/mouse layout meanwhile is pretty traditional with the active skills, health, mana, and rage bars centered along the bottom of your screen. Additional menus, including your character sheet, skills, journal, and more, pop-up when clicking the corresponding icons located on the lower right of the screen.

This preview build marked my first encounter with the Van Helsing series, my nearest recent basis for comparison being Diablo 3. As a newcomer I was pleased the storyline didn’t require me to have knowledge of the previous games, while the gameplay feels familiar - easy to pick up and jump into with a very minimal learning curve. The dialogue is witty and cheekily features some fun pop-culture references, my favorite being a dig at Wesley Snipes’ Blade.

As a fan of Diablo 3 my short time with this title's preview build was enjoyable - and at a $14.99 price point, it appears it'll be a solid value as well as good fun. I'm looking forward to fully exploring this action RPG come its release later this month.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I liked the first one, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel compelled to buy the second one, especially because reviews said that they put more emphasis on the tower defense which is a genre I don't like.

Renevent

Cipher
Wow, I heard this was coming but didn't realize it was 4 days away. I'll probably pick it up, especially now that I've decided to skip TW3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I got the first in a bundle. Generic as fuck. Couldn't play more than thirty minutes. The Derpablo clone era has come and gone. I might suffer Grim Dawn when it's 75% off but the rest of these budget arpgs aren't worth it.

Renevent

Cipher
I liked the first one, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel compelled to buy the second one, especially because reviews said that they put more emphasis on the tower defense which is a genre I don't like.

I believe in the second one there were more opportunities to do tower defense missions, but I believe they were also optional. With that said I thought the first one was better than the second. For one I thought the level design in the second game was much poorer, and my favorite parts of the first game were the outdoor areas especially the first town and all the quests. The second game felt much more urban focused, and I didn't think those levels were as much fun. The other issue for me was the leveling system. They added a bunch of new skill but it really felt poorly thought out and disjointed. In ARPG's usually more is more, in this case the implementation felt sloppy.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I just ran the carbon copy of Grim Dawn's Nightblade class through levels one to twenty six in VH3.

Basically, it can be summed up as a competent cash-in. Six distinct classes, some of which have unique mechanics, but a few are carry overs. For example, the standard Van Helsing class has been split up into Protector (melee defensive), Nightblade-equivalent (melee offensive) and Bounty Hunter (ranged). The Thaumaturge has become the Elementalist. The Arcane Mechanic is now the Phlogistoneer (whatever; power armour guy) and the Constructor (summoner). You get roughly eight skills a pop, with four passive modifier skills for each each skill and three power-ups. The gameplay remains pretty fast and snappy, and some of the skills are pretty satisfying to use. I don't know how it holds up over sixty levels, because in VH2 you were always starved for skill points. Instead of getting more advanced skills later in the game, you just have five more levels to scale your starting skills (0-15).

The item game is the same as it ever was, but, to me, remains a net zero added value. It's not bad, but it's not compelling, either.

VH2 was a monster sized ARPG masquerading as a budget game. This is a budget game masquerading as its successor. Small wonder they put zero effort into promotion, there's just not enough meat on the bone to justify any serious time investment. Nonetheless, a decent distraction for a few hours.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Aye, a lot of people are calling it a cash-in. Kind of a stupid move on the devs/publisher's part since they might have been able to roll this into a legitimate franchise like Torchlight did - or maybe the license is just running out? :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Funny enough I believe the Torchlight 'franchise' is dead. That is, Runic isn't going to make anymore and is working on a slightly different genre.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Last I heard they were working on an MMO-type/lite of Torchlight. A pretty terrible idea at least on paper, IMO. Maybe they realized that, too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They've long since abandoned that. At least two years ago right around the time TL2 came out (they were actually hinting at the MMO instead of TL2). The little information floating out there is some kind of crafting oriented rpg but who knows at this point. I'm amazed they can sustain themselves for so many years on one game.

Renevent

Cipher
I just ran the carbon copy of Grim Dawn's Nightblade class through levels one to twenty six in VH3.

Basically, it can be summed up as a competent cash-in. Six distinct classes, some of which have unique mechanics, but a few are carry overs. For example, the standard Van Helsing class has been split up into Protector (melee defensive), Nightblade-equivalent (melee offensive) and Bounty Hunter (ranged). The Thaumaturge has become the Elementalist. The Arcane Mechanic is now the Phlogistoneer (whatever; power armour guy) and the Constructor (summoner). You get roughly eight skills a pop, with four passive modifier skills for each each skill and three power-ups. The gameplay remains pretty fast and snappy, and some of the skills are pretty satisfying to use. I don't know how it holds up over sixty levels, because in VH2 you were always starved for skill points. Instead of getting more advanced skills later in the game, you just have five more levels to scale your starting skills (0-15).

The item game is the same as it ever was, but, to me, remains a net zero added value. It's not bad, but it's not compelling, either.

VH2 was a monster sized ARPG masquerading as a budget game. This is a budget game masquerading as its successor. Small wonder they put zero effort into promotion, there's just not enough meat on the bone to justify any serious time investment. Nonetheless, a decent distraction for a few hours.

Been playing it as well and I don't totally disagree with this. I actually like the classes better than in VH2 (playing the protector), but really more for than the aesthetic than anything. I also personally enjoy the levels/quests over the 2nd game even if it will turn out to be shorter. With that said, overall the game doesn't seem as well developed as VH1 (my favorite of the series). To my knowledge there isn't 60 levels this time around I believe the character level caps out at 30 and I've already maxed out Katrina at 25 which is a bummer.

Anyways agree, I'm enjoying it but it's not great. If you like the first 2 it's probably worth playing just to finish up the series...if neither of them were enjoyable I think it's safe to skip. Either way it's $15 not a big deal.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"In a Gothic-Noir Action-Rpg" ... also known as "Release the same game for the 3rd time". Fuck this shit.

Why is this in the RPG discussion forum?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Everything considered, I'm guessing that the Final Cut is what they really wanted to release, but needed an injection of funds in the interim and so we got VH3.

Renevent

Cipher
Final Cut is the previous 3 games all tied together, with the improvements/additions integrated from the sequels throughout, and with some new features as well. Higher level cap, new end game mechanics, randomized levels, re-worked skill system...stuff life that.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, I know.

But the state of VH3 tells the tale. Thirty levels (compared to VH2's sixty), shortened story, slapped together classes and skill trees... felt like a cash-in and still does. They probably needed the funds to complete development of the Final Cut over the homestretch. It certainly didn't take them long to announce the FC after the release of VH3.

Renevent

Cipher
I don't think VH3 is as good as the first game, but I also don't think it's quite as grim as you make it out to be. It's still a pretty long game, especially considering the $20 price point. There was some nice additions over the previous games as well and a better end game, though it's still not great. BTW they've been saying they're were planning to tie all three games together for a while now, prior to even releasing the third game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom