Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Part III Released

circ

Arcane
Ok looks like enabling high shaders upped all graphical fidelity - including 2d art - and lowered fps a bit. Well that didn't make much sense.

circ

Arcane
Thread hijax. So any other recent games in the ARPG iso-kinda-metric genre? Other than DS 3, VH, TL 2, Path of Exile? Not mentioning Diablo 3 because well, that's just never going to happen. Oh yeah, fun bonus if protagonist uses muskets/other antique firearms.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thread hijax. So any other recent games in the ARPG iso-kinda-metric genre? Other than DS 3, VH, TL 2, Path of Exile? Not mentioning Diablo 3 because well, that's just never going to happen. Oh yeah, fun bonus if protagonist uses muskets/other antique firearms.

You could try this, though I never played (no muskets as far as I can tell though).

circ

Arcane
Got RAW, will try it out later. Doesn't seem to be all too popular on the internets though.

Also, what was that one ARPG called, single hero running around in iso-landscape, sort of Disney fantasy? Fairly recent, thought it was Kingdoms of Amalur but that's not isometric-y. Came out around the same time though I think?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Deathspank? It's more of an adventure game that uses Diablo mechanics to explore. RAW is mediocre to poor with a lot of fundamental design flaws. Sacred 2 was recently on sale at Amazon but that's more than a few years old at this point.

circ

Arcane
No not Deathspank, art isn't quite THAT cartoony. Possibly a multi-part name like Kingdom of Amalur. I guess it looked like Torchlight without the cel-shading. I saw some youtube video of a guy playing it and he was in some dungeon at one point where there were water nymphs (?) or something doing poison damage.

EDIT: lolol. It was Kingdoms of Amalur, I just kept looking at some zoomed in screenshots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBnosHo5BE DODODODOH

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I hate episodic games. Makes even less sense for an ARPG.

Name

Cipher
New DLC is coming. I can't get their DLC scheme: releasing small DLCs that add new classes? skill trees? The whole thought school seems to be stuck at Strategy Game DLC money grinding school. They did release two new campaign DLC for King Arthur. But for a RPG? Let's release more units and factions! classes and skills!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
King Arthur had nickel and dime DLC, too. Not a surprise.

Name

Cipher
The good side of episodic games are that developers can really iterate the whole feedback and improve thing in a shorter cycle.
The bad side is that it can get less coherent and consistent as a whole, like a TV series. What else do you hate?

Anyway it's like a hybrid of Sequel and Expansion Pack. Considering we are getting more and more expansion pack masquerading as sequels, I'd say that episodic games are just modern day expansion packs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anyway it's like a hybrid of Sequel and Expansion Pack. Considering we are getting more and more expansion pack masquerading as sequels, I'd say that episodic games are just modern day expansion packs.

Or a pay-for beta.

Name

Cipher

Or a pay-for beta.

Not really. I think Episodic games have the same possibility to end up as a pay-for beta as a compete release. Anyway nowadays we have a sure way to get a pay-for beta, it's called Early Access lol. The world..

Eyeball

Arcane
This is currently on sale for 5 euros, 6 euros if you want all the DLC including the 2 other character classes.

I quite like it, frankly. I didn't expect the World from it and honestly didn't get it, but it is, weirdly enough for a game about shooting vampires and werewolves in the face, quite humourous and even charming. Your ghost Sidekick Katarina has some good lines and your interactions with her are often funny and makes it feel at times like a buddy movie with werewolves. The game mechanics are also above average, with a lot of different crafting options and the ability to buff your skills through rage RAEG mechanic (which I don't like, but is quite nice to have anyway). I imagine that the somewhat sloggy melee combat might pick up later in the game, but at the early levels it certainly is a bit awkward and chaotic.

The best part of the game is the challenge - playing on Normal, I actually die quite regularly! A very nice change from the kiddiefest that was Torchlight 2.

It's probably like a 7/10 game or so. Worth spending 5 euros on, but not anything that will change your life.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's an ok game if you have some free time to burn*, and it is much harder than its genre contemporaries. I was actually forced to run away to the town and cry like a little girl while playing on normal. And Katarina is a cool character.

*I don't, so I'm breaking my promise of buying it when it reaches 75% off.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played the Van helsing II beta yesterday for an hour, will give it more time later today. Seems same as the previous game, just larger in scope with expanded quests, skills and so on. You start at level 30, was funny criting people for 2k damage at the first minute of the game.
As a bonus, VH2 is now also a game that features "took an arrow to the knee" joke. Lol

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It was striking how much more fun the DLC classes were compared to the default class in VH1, even though they accomplished this by cutting out a big chunk of the stat system - the default build had to decide between ranged and melee and between weapon and spell damage, while the DLC classes were locked into ranged spells and ranged weapon damage, respectively. That meant that the DLC classes could effectively use every skill in their trees, while the default VH locked himself into a pretty narrow selection of actives depending on his stat layout.

I wonder whether they bothered to address that with the three classes in VH2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom