Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Part III Released

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think we were missing a thread for this fun-looking hack'n'slash game, which seems more and more promising with each preview.

Release Date: 22 May 2013

-> Developer Blog <-

IncGamers
NeoCore’s upcoming game is an action-RPG, so surely The Walking a Few Steps and Slashing at some Monsters with a Sword of Van Helsing would be more accurate?

Perhaps so, but during the three hour act that this single player preview build of the game consisted of, I conversed with a werewolf, did battle with mechanical soldiers dressed in Napoleonic era uniforms and chatted about archaeology with an aquatic fellow named Professor Frog. By most standards, each of those events would qualify as an incredible adventure. I got all of them.

Did I mention that your AI companion is a sharp-tongued, aristocratic ghost from a fictional Eastern European nation?

PC Gamer
Van Helsing is accompanied in his familiar ARPG questing, slaying, and looting by Lady Katarina. A unique story companion, Katarina is a female spectre who can help you in combat, store loot, and sell things in town while you continue to mow through the legions of darkness. She has her own equipment slots, attributes, and skill trees as well. You can build her to be a sturdy melee combatant if you’re more of a “hang back and pick things off with my crossbow” sort of player, or invest in more support-driven abilities if you’d rather remain in the thick of things.

Polygon
In Van Helsing, players will have access to two separate skill trees: the melee skill tree and the ranged skill tree. According to Toth, both skill trees can be combined, and players can strategically choose paths so that their skills from both trees complement each other.

"So say you're building a melee character, you can use the spells of the ranged skill tree with a melee weapon," she said. "So there are many different ways you can advance your character."

Toth told Polygon that players will not be able to unlock every skill in a single playthrough, so they will be forced to choose a path. Their choices will then be reflected in their character. The game doesn't have character classes, but the skill trees allow players to customize Van Helsing and his companion, Lady Katarina, in such a way that one player may have a ranged character while another has a melee character and another has a magic-focused character.

GamesRadar
The story kicks off in the country of Borgovia, as Van Helsing arrives at his destination with his ghost companion Katalina. Katalina is more than just an NPC that you'll have casual conversations with, she also plays a significant role in combat, acting as a pet character of sorts. She can take on different celestial forms that make her useful in either melee combat, ranged attacks, or support buffs and her skills and gear are customizable as you level up. Depending on how you wish to deck out Van Helsing with skills, you can use Katalina to compliment your build. For example, if you wanted to play a close-ranged melee fighter, you could outfit Katalina with ranged or support skills to lay waste to enemies from a distance.

EDIT: All preview links are shamelessly stolen from GameBanshee.

EDIT 2: Some YT links:

Katarina trailer

Pre-order trailer

Rage and power-up system trailer

"Hunter's Lair" Trailer

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It looks okay but I'm tired of Diablo clones at the moment.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
sounds and look incredibly dull.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From the descriptions I was hoping for something different. Like Thief with a combat focus, or a Bethesda style game done right, or a Dracula themed 3D metroidvania. Instead it's a Diablo clone.

Turjan

Arcane
It's a bit of a waste of potential, indeed. The way the game looks now, it could have any name.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It'll make for nice bundle fodder. I like Neocore but they made a mistake foraying into this already crowded (sub) genre.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
This seems good, I was bored of reading and so I watched a gameplay video. Reminded me of Torchlight 2 which is good. Thanks for the thread, without it I probably wouldn't even notice it. They didn't invest much in promotion it seems.
To be honest, I don't like the pre defined female companion. It's just like the latest Bioshock in that regard, something about neckbeard fulfilment fantasies. I'll try to ignore this, as it might have some good writing in dialogues between the duo.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
6x8-Dorian.jpg

DR. COX DISAPPROVES!

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This seems good, I was bored of reading and so I watched a gameplay video. Reminded me of Torchlight 2 which is good. Thanks for the thread, without it I probably wouldn't even notice it. They didn't invest much in promotion it seems.
To be honest, I don't like the pre defined female companion. It's just like the latest Bioshock in that regard, something about neckbeard fulfilment fantasies. I'll try to ignore this, as it might have some good writing in dialogues between the duo.
Van-Helsing-08.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
nohotlinking_aobg.gif

I'm quoting the image that shows up in your post. Maybe it's a Firefox thing.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks awesome. Will starve another two months to buy. Or would if my computer wasn't shit. :patriot:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think I'm going to try the... demo... and let that be the judge of whether I'll buy this game or not :)

It looks cool enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom