Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Fighter: Dwarven Defender: It's like the best of Barb & Berserker. But the inability to Grandmaster means it "only" achieves 9 ApR. Boo-hoo!

Wait what

I thought IE only supported 5 or 6 attacks per round max. Was this modded in some way?
I think that was with haste?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Fighter: Dwarven Defender: It's like the best of Barb & Berserker. But the inability to Grandmaster means it "only" achieves 9 ApR. Boo-hoo!

Wait what

I thought IE only supported 5 or 6 attacks per round max. Was this modded in some way?

What? It was an animation issue IIRC, so even with haste + grandmastery + dual wielding + whatever you couldn't go above this number of ApR.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wait what

What? It was an animation issue IIRC, so even with haste + grandmastery + dual wielding + whatever you couldn't go above this number of ApR.
Oh. My bad then. I thought you were talking rule-wise.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I remember in the original I used web spells on the lizard things and it worked

pippin

Must be something with the EE. My scrublord tactic is to use Web and Entangle together just in case, then use AoE spells and that handy little rapid fire bow you find somewhere there.

Must be something with the EE. My scrublord tactic is to use Web and Entangle together just in case, then use AoE spells and that handy little rapid fire bow you find somewhere there.

Max scrublord is simply casting web 10 times, because IE lets them stack when they shouldn't.

Laugh as demigods get critical failures on their saving throws while you are immune.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
My god- IWD1 is gay as shit. For the past 2 weeks ive been 100% focused on completing this game. I bought this game day 1 launch and for what seems like decades ive tried and failed to stay interested enough to play through.

This time is better. I was desperate for a party based RPG. I have got as far as I ever have. But shit, my fellow negros, things hit a wall as soon as I got to that severed hand place.

WHY THE FUCK with the goblins and orcs again? Who's idea was this? I don't even know to say. I'm level 8. I keep loading the game up but in 10seconds I loose interest. Shadow goblins... What a gay ass joke. Fuck.. I cant do this.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
We need an Icewind Dale 3, Baldur's Gate 3, Neverwinter Nights 3

We want it now Obsidian, Bioware, Atari, Black Isle, Interplay, Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro, whoever owns the rights in this confusing mess of games RIGHT NOW

pippin

We want it now Obsidian, Bioware, Atari, Black Isle, Interplay, Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro, whoever owns the rights in this confusing mess of games RIGHT NOW

Everything should be owned by Hasbro now. While you're waiting, go play Knights of the Chalice.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

Everything should be owned by Hasbro now. While you're waiting, go play Knights of the Chalice.

That game actually looks pretty decent, prolly won't play it right away but it is noted. Thank you

pippin

ogi-lucsgreatrobe.jpg

holy shit men

Modron

Arcane
My god- IWD1 is gay as shit. For the past 2 weeks ive been 100% focused on completing this game. I bought this game day 1 launch and for what seems like decades ive tried and failed to stay interested enough to play through.

This time is better. I was desperate for a party based RPG. I have got as far as I ever have. But shit, my fellow negros, things hit a wall as soon as I got to that severed hand place.

WHY THE FUCK with the goblins and orcs again? Who's idea was this? I don't even know to say. I'm level 8. I keep loading the game up but in 10seconds I loose interest. Shadow goblins... What a gay ass joke. Fuck.. I cant do this.
Eheh, the Severed Hand is the best part of the base game in terms of lore and actually having some content beyond pretty looking areas; so if you can't stomach anymore you're in for a rough ride. The expansion content was a step up from the base game's emptiness if I recall correctly been a long time since I played through IWD. In a similar fashion I tried to get through IWD 2 on two separate occasions but couldn't manage it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I.e. we need another 3/3.5E party-based game. Neverwinter Nights 2 didn't have anything to do with 1, except being set in Neverwinter again, I haven't played IWD2 in ages but I don't recall it having anything to do with 1 except being in a frozen wasteland again. Soooo, yeah, just give us another 3/3.5E party-based game, they can name it whatever they want. Don't use a retarded engine this time *cough* NWN2 *cough*.

pippin

I.e. we need another 3/3.5E party-based game. Neverwinter Nights 2 didn't have anything to do with 1, except being set in Neverwinter again, I haven't played IWD2 in ages but I don't recall it having anything to do with 1 except being in a frozen wasteland again. Soooo, yeah, just give us another 3/3.5E party-based game, they can name it whatever they want. Don't use a retarded engine this time *cough* NWN2 *cough*.

Hasbro won't allow it. If anyone's going to release a completely new game, it has to use the current DND edition.
Siege of Dragonspear was never meant to be a "new" game.

Isn't that what Knights of the Chalice did?
Yes, but I'm not sure exactly how it all works. My understanding is that some fluff like locations and creatures isn't all allowed to use, and Hasbro still has a lot of leverage to fuck with you if they want, so a big name commercial product drawing their ire by diluting their focus on 5E might have problems. And of course no developer or publisher wants to start a game if there's even a 10% chance that you'll be 90% done and then face a year of litigation.

EDIT: Think I've found another problem too. Seems to me that OGL means you have to give away certain rights as well. For example I think users could sell mods or create a Blunder's Gate 2 or w/e. Not a problem for a small indie game but something which probably scares the hell out of the bean counters who lust over having full dictatorial control of their own popular IP.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Part I of my in-depth IWD retrospective has been posted. This is for 1.06 IWD, pre-HoW expansion.

It is written in a similar style to my ongoing Baldur's Gate retrospective, with which the reader is assumed to be acquainted.

Part I is basically just an overview of Setting & Scope and Chargen, but there is a section on ApR. Most of the retrospective is to be given over to a dungeon-by-dungeon analysis like the one I wrote for Durlag's Tower.

Enjoy!

purpleblob

Savant
Part I of my in-depth IWD retrospective has been posted. This is for 1.06 IWD, pre-HoW expansion.

It is written in a similar style to my ongoing Baldur's Gate retrospective, with which the reader is assumed to be acquainted.

Part I is basically just an overview of Setting & Scope and Chargen, but there is a section on ApR. Most of the retrospective is to be given over to a dungeon-by-dungeon analysis like the one I wrote for Durlag's Tower.

Enjoy!

Another interesting read, keep them coming! I really loved IWD1 as well. Btw, did you abandon your BG2 playthrough?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Another interesting read, keep them coming! I really loved IWD1 as well. Btw, did you abandon your BG2 playthrough?

Thanks, purpleblob. And no, I have not abandoned it. Just taking a long break after getting a lil' bored. Still have the savegames and 50% of the next post written (the next post is massive because it introduces Athkatla).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom