Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Revenant

But but they all look so out of place in IWD
To the contrary, the rugged and shaggy adventurers depicted in the portraits look just like they should after crossing the Spine of the World into the harsh and unforgiving lands of Icewind Dale.

And some (if not most) of the females are actually beautiful.

none have anime spike hair!

Oh, so you're trolling, nevermind then.

BBMorti

Arcane
Just sarcasm not trolling. Though I did import some pics, specifically for a male druid, also imported Laxroix voice from Vampire the Masquerade (it works surprisingly well).
Why would you admit doing something like that.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Whats the best way to play this.

A) Widescreen mod, but tiny characters and zoomed out map.
B) No widescreen, but blurry UI and graphics.
C) Windowed mode.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I have no problem playing the game in the original resolution, without any widescreen mods. I don't find it blurry either. So I'd take B

Exar Kun

Scholar
Agreed, after trying it out I prefer to just play 800x600. Widescreen just changes the feel of the game too much, and 800x600 is not even that blurry.

Revenant

With the Heart of Winter expansion one can use other mid-to-high resolutions such as 1024x768 and higher, so it could be possible to find the optimum point between zooming out and bluriness, so to speak.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I use widescreen mod for all IE games, 1280*720 on a 24" (1080p capable) display. This seems to be the best compromise between having a correct aspect ratio and things not being too small on the screen (for me and my setup, at least).

800*600 stretches the graphics horizontally on 16:9 displays and is therefore, for me, intolerable.

Another way is to use GPU scaling and "maintain aspect ratio", in this way you have the game running fullscreen with black borders on each side (4:3).

Cenobyte

Prophet
Anyone read the Drizzt novels, especially the Dark Elf trilogy, by Salvatore?
Do they provide any background story or "lore" relevant for the Icewind Dale games?

I seem to remember that the evil cristal that appears in IWD1 (Crenshinibon or something like that) was introduced in a Drizzt novel.

Yep. But other than that there's not much connection to Salvatore's novels.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
I've created the best party ever.
34nmqdw.png

I spent forever (twice) rerolling to get 18/00s and then I remembered I could have just used an editor to get them. Oh well, time to kill all men.

Whoa, even the Priest of Color?!

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I know its heresy but I kinda dig the IWD2 npc mod...its good to have a little banter now and then related to in game events and between party members who dislike each other. It really adds a bit of fun to an otherwise dry game.

As for the characters themselves I'd recommend optimizing them in DaleKeeper, there are 10 of them so every class but Ranger (which is shitty anyway) is covered. I'd also recommend going with the pre-made party "Sir Nord's company" lest you be subjected to some creepy ass eunuch falling in love with you (yeah, the mod has Romances but they can be shut down banter 1 and are non-existent in the pre-made party)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That is indeed awful, NPC mods have never been even remotely passable in IE games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That is indeed awful, NPC mods have never been even remotely passable in IE games.

I liked BG1 NPC Project, especially what they did with Monty and Xzar.
IWD1 NPC Project was pretty bad, with too juvenile and feminine writing for my taste, and it had voice acting.

Cipher

As the gentlemen noted, the BG1 NPC project rules. It's true that most NPC mods seem content to imitate the very worst aspects of Biowarian writing -the cutesy 'random' style, the strangely effeminate sensibility- but this one succeeds in elaborating on the very cool but stripped down character ideas of the game, fleshing out the parts in which the original was lacking for storyfag tastes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, ok, ok.

I finally restarted my campaign. Luckily, I still had my early savegames so I didn't have to recreate my party. Unluckily, I did have to closely reexamine my party so I'd know wtf type of party I'd built before. Anyway...

Just finished up with Easthaven and entered the cave beyond the wolves and killed the first few groups of orcs. Ok, liking this so far! Thinking I'll be getting into this for a bit today as I've done all the shit this weekend I'd planned on already. Sweet!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Yeah, Icewind Dales are nice experiences overall. Combat is way more fun compared to BG, due to almost no magic resistances and no auto-lol buffs on mobs. Second being bitter sweet, because of the story behind it's development and because you know it's the last IE game.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Heyheyhey.

Quick question: Does time matter in this game? Re: Resting taking 16 hours per, traveling taking 8 hours, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heyheyhey.

Quick question: Does time matter in this game? Re: Resting taking 16 hours per, traveling taking 8 hours, etc.

Not really, no. You can LARP and try to play though the game without wasting lots of time.

Tigranes

Arcane
"You took four years to stop the threat?"
"Yeah, we had two days of sex orgy rehabs in the local inn after every two fights."
"What were the enemy doing, then?"
"The same, except the 'two fights'."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom