Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Actually I had long conversation #43267123461234812 with two friends about "should we search for a new MMO to play" one of these days and eventually one of them decided "oh screw this I'm downloading GW1 again". Told us later the game's not actually dead, supposedly it has much more people than a couple years ago even. Kamadan had 4 districts this last weekend.

I'll probably download it again eventually. The only reason I quitted GW1 was to jump to 2 yet after I noticed it's an irredeemable piece of shit I never went back to the first thinking it was likely dead.
Well in terms of player count, there was a good amount of people when I played. The problem was they updated heroes so you could have your entire party made of them so barely anyone ever played with other people. Plus like Excidium said, a lot of people were just grinding titles for GW2 before it's launch. I haven't played it since GW2 but they fucked it up for me gameplay wise so I didn't care anymore. What a shame.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, another four zones?
I'm fairly sure that "we've" (the player base) expressed our disdain at the 'content' that they released for the HoT expansion. They haven't been stingy with adding new zones now a days though, with each of the latest living season episodes (4 so far) they've released a new zone to accompany it. I'm somewhat positive that they will be adding a number of new zones (more than 4) and/or a possible new continent.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Some of these machined weapons are f*cking huge!

6982Y1g.jpg

Drakortha

Liturgist
I've been playing a lot of HoT lately and I just got to say, the soundtrack is spectacular. It was recorded by live orchestra, and results are gorgeous, and overall, exceptionally powerful. You really notice with a good pair of headphones.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I've been playing a lot of HoT lately and I just got to say, the soundtrack is spectacular. It was recorded by live orchestra, and results are gorgeous, and overall, exceptionally powerful. You really notice with a good pair of headphones.
Too bad they didn't outsource the gameplay to a better company too.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This guy called WoodenPotatoes put together a rather extensive review of Heart of Thorns and general state of the game in 2017. Them 13 parts, though.

DramaticPopcorn

I quite hated the left/right hand slot thing, the lack of skills, the heal slot, the dodge
... None of those have ever been touched or even remotely been acknowledged as controversial/ineffective or whatever. They are literally CORE mechanics of GW2, so it's kinda stupid to go in expecting them to change.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I quite hated the left/right hand slot thing, the lack of skills, the heal slot, the dodge
... None of those have ever been touched or even remotely been acknowledged as controversial/ineffective or whatever. They are literally CORE mechanics of GW2, so it's kinda stupid to go in expecting them to change.
Well, they could get rid of the personal story and spend the rest of their time making actually fleshed out public quests.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Seriously, was there any article or preview about Personal Story before the game was launched? I seriously don't remember. Unfortunately not only took away time and money that could've spent on PVP/RVR/PQs... The personal stories were crap.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They said that instead of giving the player choice of what kind of person they wanted to be, they just streamlined the dialogue into a cutscene to save time and money.

Zetor

Arcane
Seriously, was there any article or preview about Personal Story before the game was launched? I seriously don't remember. Unfortunately not only took away time and money that could've spent on PVP/RVR/PQs... The personal stories were crap.
I remember a fair bit of hype, especially about the choices you can make in the personal story (both on a story level and the type of answers you use in conversation, ie charming/honorable/brute) and how your homebase will be tailored to you based on those choices... and yea, we all know how the system turned out in the end.

Here's an example article

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I remember a fair bit of hype, especially about the choices you can make in the personal story (both on a story level and the type of answers you use in conversation, ie charming/honorable/brute) and how your homebase will be tailored to you based on those choices... and yea, we all know how the system turned out in the end.

Fuck.

I'm not reading that because I don't want to get triggered.

Edit: I really Camelot Unchained works out because I need mah 3 faction RvR.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

The hype was real. Everyone thought that GW2 would shake up the MMO market somehow, since GW1 was so successful.

sp220a.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
30€ for the most basic package? Not bad. I expected them to go full Jew like not!Turbine is with LotRO's Mordor expansion. Then again Path of Fire is bringing no new professions or weapons.

Zetor

Arcane
They're claiming it's going to be a content-focused expansion -- and it's also going to take place in Elona, so GW1 Nightfall comparisons are inevitable.

... i.e. Koss better come back, or ELSE. /angryface

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom