Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

MapMan

Arcane
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/manif ... 9?type=flv

Looks pretty good. I only dislike the robot/gnome whatever thing. Rest really looks good, especially the environments. Whatcha think?

Also: New Q&A

Finally we have dialogue trees for players who want to go more in-depth with the story. These dialogue trees make heavy use of our personality system to provide role-playing opportunities for players who want that sort of experience.

:incline:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwar ... slot;img;2

roll-a-die

Magister
INNERGFXHOR: "FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP"
ME: "Shut up proof is in the pudding/gameplay!"
INNERGFXHOR: "FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP"

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Uh is it still a party-based game i.e. you can't sologrind shit and you must play with stupid casual carebear assholes and the whole world is instanced so there's really no real PvP?

MapMan

Arcane
Zed said:
Uh is it still a party-based game i.e. you can't sologrind shit and you must play with stupid casual carebear assholes and the whole world is instanced so there's really no real PvP?

Redding is teh hard. Also PVP was the best thing about GW unless you sucked at it and got smashed everytime.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Zed said:
Nope. There's actually a much bigger focus on a non-instanced world, so much that very few details about PVP have been mentioned yet. Remember that the biggest draw of GW1 was arena PVP.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, I did read it.

We have two types of PVP in the game. The first is a small, team-based competitive style which places everyone on equal footing. Our second type, or "world vs. world," is a massive game type that takes place between multiple worlds (or servers, as other games call them). WVW features battles with hundreds of players, keep sieges, resource gathering, and a lot of map-wide strategy. We haven't released a ton of details on PVP yet because we're still very much working on it. Our basic policy is to not talk about things until they're in the game and we've had a chance to iterate on them. You can expect to hear more about PVP in the coming months.
1. Small team-based blah blah okay not interested. Maybe something fun to kill a few hours after raidtime.

2. Hundreds of players? I somehow doubt that. AoC claimed the same and they pretty much limited players to 20v20 or something. Will probably be like WoW's battlegrounds, though, and I guess that's okay.

3. ??? No world PvP? No griefing? No revenge? No real satisfying or involving (emotionally engaging :lol:) PvP?

Unless I can easily kill someone, 1 on 1, in the open world, with the advantage of gear I've been getting with my überguild raiding content which casuals can only dream about, I'm not interested. Not because of the specific scenario, but for what allows it.

They say they want to bring Guild Wars into a persistent world. Well they better share some precise info on end-game content because that's the deciding factor if it will stay alive for 2 months or 5 years. And of course guild support. Everything to pull hardcore gamers in, because casuals ($$$) follow like sheep. It's the hardcore gamers that make real history in the game, like guild killing a certain boss first, or guilds having epic battles. WoW did this for a time, but games like Eve support this fully. I mean who the fuck plays games like Aion, Age of Conan or Guild Wars 1 anymore (who is also not a retard?).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
1. Small team-based blah blah okay not interested. Maybe something fun to kill a few hours after raidtime.
:roll:

2. Hundreds of players? I somehow doubt that. AoC claimed the same and they pretty much limited players to 20v20 or something. Will probably be like WoW's battlegrounds, though, and I guess that's okay.

3. ??? No world PvP? No griefing? No revenge? No real satisfying or involving (emotionally engaging lol) PvP?

Well they better share some precise info on end-game content because that's the deciding factor if it will stay alive for 2 months or 5 years.

I mean who the fuck plays games like ... Guild Wars 1 anymore

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
In other words:

Zed said:
They better share info on EVERYTHING even though they said they won't tell us until they're ready! But if they tell us something GUESS WHAT I DONT BELIEVE IT. Also they don't have open world PVP even though Guild Wars 1 is famous for its competitive team-based PVP, so the game sucks because I am picky like a motherufcking retard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I guess the difference between you and me is that I am selective in what I invest hundreds of hours into.

I'm personally not interested in playing the next Tabula Rasa or the next I don't know what it's called that fucking superhero game. Or any other of the dozens of failures that have followed WoW.

All they tell you about GW2 is "We focus on story and this RT quest shit we're doing". That's fantastic but it's not enough for a persistent world. Story can be exhausted.

Mangoose said:
I mean who the fuck plays games like ... Guild Wars 1 anymore
You forgot (who is also not a retard?)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I guess the difference between you and me is that I am selective in what I invest hundreds of hours into.
No, the difference is that MAYBE Guild Wars focuses on types of gameplay that you don't like. Retard.

Anyways, since there is no monthly subscription again for GW2, I don't need carrot-on-the-stick raiding gameplay to make me play 100 hrs a week to justify paying $15/month.

I'm personally not interested in playing the next Tabula Rasa or the next I don't know what it's called that fucking superhero game. Or any other of the dozens of failures that have followed WoW.
Wow, why don't you list another genre of games you are not interested in. Then you can go to that forum and tell everybody how you are SOOOO not interested in that game that you bother to post about it.

At least the typical Codexer will drivel out "lolol mmorpgs suck" and then go away.

In the mean time I'm going to go to an Adventuring gaming forum and complain about Symphony of the Night because I hate platformers.

Retard.

All they tell you about GW2 is "We focus on story and this RT quest shit we're doing". That's fantastic but it's not enough for a persistent world. Story can be exhausted.
Yeah, no shit, because they're not ready to tell you about the other parts of the game yet. Just because they haven't told you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You quoted this said:
Our basic policy is to not talk about things until they're in the game and we've had a chance to iterate on them.
Retard.

You forgot (who is also not a retard?)
People that like competitive team-based PVP, retard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sorry for inducing butthurt.

Mangoose said:
No, the difference is that MAYBE Guild Wars focuses on types of gameplay that you don't like. Retard.
What type of gameplay do you like in Massive Multiplayer Online games then?

I prefer elements that takes advantage of the persistent world and the massive amount of player which you are sharing the world with.
That involves crafting, trading, player economics, guilds, social interaction, raiding, world pvp and solid end-game among other things.

Mangoose said:
Wow, why don't you list another genre of games you are not interested in. Then you can go to that forum and tell everybody how you are SOOOO not interested in that game that you bother to post about it.
What exactly do you mean? The games I listed were just a couple of games that I know have died out because they were shit. They were MMOGs. This is a MMOG. They are reliant on having a steady playerbase. Even if it's F2P, GW2 they still need players. Doesn't matter if they're FPS or TB card games.

Mangoose said:
Yeah, no shit, because they're not ready to tell you about the other parts of the game yet. Just because they haven't told you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
That's true. I was shooting down what I have been told (by the article which you started the thread with) and continued by stating what I wish they'd tell me more about. Followed by motivations why.

Mangoose said:
Retard.
Retard.
Retard.
retard.
Idiot.
I know you're angry because I indirectly insulted you with my remark and for that I apologize.

By the way, do you really sell into hype so easily? Don't you think it's healthier to be critical until proven otherwise, than act like a fanboy and be disappointed later? This is an MMORPG, one of the most challenging type of games to create in the world. GW could get away with some of its shortcomings because it didn't have a persistent world nor a monthly fee (which kind of reduced it's MMOG-ness). GW2 however seems to have the whole "it's GW in a persistent world!" as the main, well, selling point (as stated by the founder-guy in the trailer). If it doesn't do anything with the persistent world, and is simply GW without as many instances and secluded areas - what does it achieve? After all they're now after people like me, the bitching hardcore crowd. Why should I and my guild of 40+ people sign up for GW2? The things they've shown so far wouldn't convince anyone I knew from WoW. As you said they don't show stuff that aren't finished so that's why I'm a huge vagina until they do - because they're already trying to sell the game to me.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for inducing butthurt.
Nah, was already butthurt IRL.

[quoteI prefer elements that takes advantage of the persistent world and the massive amount of player which you are sharing the world with.
That involves crafting, trading, player economics, guilds, social interaction, raiding, world pvp and solid end-game among other things.[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that.

Meanwhile, there is a focus on team-based PVP because that was the main strength of GW1, so naturally GW1 players will want it in GW2.

As for crafting, trading, economics, etc... Please point out where they said there is NOT any of that.

Except for world PVP, which apparently makes or breaks a game even though it just might have crafting, trading, player economics, guilds, social interaction, raiding, and solid end-game.

That's true. I was shooting down what I have been told (by the article which you started the thread with) and continued by stating what I wish they'd tell me more about. Followed by motivations why.
No, you didn't shoot down, you nitpicked like a woman. Two things that you personally aren't interested in but many people won't mind. And then omg they must be wrong bout hundreds of players bc one game lied.

By the way, do you really sell into hype so easily?
By the way, note where I praised GW2 at all.

Yeah. There goes the rest of your post.

As you said they don't show stuff that aren't finished so that's why I'm a huge vagina until they do - because they're already trying to sell the game to me.
A huge retarded vagina. You only gain the right to complain about their marketing when it's 1 week until release and they still haven't said anything about hardcore shizz. Until then, free game.

You're also a huge vagina because you like to raid against A-non-I.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You don't praise GW2 but you defend it like Christ's chalice.

Mangoose said:
Except for world PVP, which apparently makes or breaks a game even though it just might have crafting, trading, player economics, guilds, social interaction, raiding, and solid end-game.
Pretty much. Look at WoW. As they introduced Arena PvP and more battlegrounds, people stopped the world PvP. Now they're trying to control world PvP by making zones like Wintergrasp. Huge failures. People have nowhere to show off their PvE gear. Which was made obsolete with the introduction of resilience, anyway.

Mangoose said:
You only gain the right to complain about their marketing when it's 1 week until release and they still haven't said anything about hardcore shizz.
Oh sorry I didn't know the sheeple-code for being fed hype. Thanks now I know.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Nice vid. The devs seem to criticise the same stuff about mmos that I do. I just doubt they give the same answers ;)

And this thread is more hype for me than any trailer. Thanks Zed, whenever some retard behaves especially stupid in GW2 I just have to think of your posts here and it will not seem so bad.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm incredibly hyped for GW2, especially the steampunk Charr, and the fact that it seems to have kept the mechanics of the first one just with some adjustments here and there. Not to mention that teh graffix give me a raging boner. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they don't fuck it up, since some of the things I've read previously raised an alarm in my head, but I guess I'll have to play it first for proper judgement.

WHERE'S MY GODDAMN OPEN BETA, ANET?!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Shannow said:
Thanks Zed, whenever some retard behaves especially stupid in GW2 I just have to think of your posts here and it will not seem so bad.
You're gonna be thinking of me an awful lot then. :oops:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You don't praise GW2 but you defend it like Christ's chalice.
I mostly don't like retarded arguments. If you praised it for stupid reasons I would argue against you just the same.

Pretty much. Look at WoW. As they introduced Arena PvP and more battlegrounds, people stopped the world PvP. Now they're trying to control world PvP by making zones like Wintergrasp. Huge failures. People have nowhere to show off their PvE gear. Which was made obsolete with the introduction of resilience, anyway.
Yeah... So PVE servers and games like FFXI didn't exist, eh?

Oh sorry I didn't know the sheeple-code for being fed hype. Thanks now I know.
Common sense, numbnuts.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hardcore crowd don't play PvE servers if there's PvP available.
I don't think you know what perspective I'm seeing this from, you're an entirely different type of player. No wonder you think the arguments are stupid you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Man GW EotN looked stunningly beautiful, and it seems that GW 2 is going to be just the same. God damn that city looked great. All I could ever wish for while I was playing GW was a persistent world, so that I could find other players easier while I was questing, not just in towns (that is if I wasn't playing with guildies or such), and now I wished it would also have raids/events, and it seems GW 2 will have all of that and more.

Warriors will have more toys to play with, mages, from the few new spells I've seen so far, seem to have way more interesting and imaginative spells in their arsenal, and the combat will seem to be influenced alot by the environment (as seen with those archers' arrows being burned by the flaming ground, very interesting).

Shit man, they're telling me all I want to hear, and it seems that the game hasn't gone in no way asian yet, so so far I'm pretty much sold. Plus it's only going to be like 40 euros or so, so no biggie.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Zed said:
Hardcore crowd don't play PvE servers if there's PvP available.
I don't think you know what perspective I'm seeing this from, you're an entirely different type of player. No wonder you think the arguments are stupid you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Lol yeah WoW PVP is so much more hardcore than FFXI.

MapMan

Arcane
I dont care enough to read all the zeds rant but for me GW1 was all about GvG and Tombs of Primeval Kings(What is it called now?). It was the most entertaining and demanding PVP experience ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom