Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Game

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Hey guys this been bothering me for a while. Back in 2001 I read an article in magazine about a game made by Old Computing World in 1992 called "The Great Game" the interesting thing about it is that at that time it had 4 genres combined within it Turnbased strategy/ FPS/ Fighting and aqua racing. Magazine talked about how rare that game was mostly due to its huge size for its time, and that its had insane price of 400$. From what I understand even in 2001 it was hard to track down a copy since OCW closed down.
Today I accidently stumbled on the old magazine and I saw that article again, so I tried googling for this game but nothing came up for it or OCW. I am wondering if people here with much better retro knowledge ever heard of this game and know where can one get a copy.

mugarod

Liturgist
Me be stupid. Yeah it is april 1st issue. I thought it was a real one since screenshots looked real enough and I guess I was very naive back then and didnt really think it could be a joke. Oh well.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
http://www.igrograd.com.ua/article/996
Muz02.jpg

Uhhh... these are graphics directly ripped from Lords of the Realm 2, minus the toolbar and GUI.

Norfleet

poocolator said:
Uhhh... these are graphics directly ripped from Lords of the Realm 2, minus the toolbar and GUI.
Everything else is ripped from Age of Wonders. This is an obvious fake.

mugarod

Liturgist
Well they got me, haven't played either so I couldn't tell it was fake. Are the games any good?

mugarod

Liturgist
Dont be hatin bro. Back when I got that issue it was allready past 4/01 and I dont really look at the issues date that often. yeah description of the game was over the top, and the name was also laughable, but fuck that magazine introduced me to some of my favorite games and since I havent really played PC games all my life, how am I suppose to know that someone didnt really make it?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
mugarod said:
Well they got me, haven't played either so I couldn't tell it was fake. Are the games any good?
Try it out if you haven't already. The economy system is easy enough to get a hold of, and the battles are top-down in real-time. Plus, there are castle sieges, ohhhh yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7UtlWTW2g

I don't know how you could get a hold of it without torrenting it (probably as a part of an DOS-/old-games collection). You could try scouring abandonware sites, but I'm not certain that it'll be fruitful.

You could think of it as a poor man's Stronghold.

hanssolo

Educated
I am a very big fan of Old Computing World's other hit, Brains & Brawn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom