Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Golden Baby Is Back: Grimoire Superdemo Released!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Monty

Arcane
Well yes and no. This is technically trolling, but that person really exists and seriously made those points elsewhere. He even managed to get some people to agree with him and got the target of his anger to remove the demo link.
Links to teh drama plz :D ?

http://af.gog.com/forum/general/so_grimoire?as=1649904300

The drama will soon be over.
Yes, maybe in future that 'dirtyharry' retard will save his moral crusades for those who torrent completed games rather than those who help to generate publicity by posting links to free demos.

Or perhaps he just doesn't understand the concept of a demo.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Uh, I dont understand those people, all the Cleve drama aside, Grimoire looks like a pretty awesome game and one would be a fool to dismiss it on the basis that one heard some bullshit about its creator.

The first thing that struck me about the superdemo is how absolutely beautyful it is. It may be just me but I simply adore those colourful graphics that look like somebody draw them by hand. The graphics in Grimoire remind me of the graphics that were in Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2, which were completly stunning for me.

The game seems to be delightfully complicated, with a robust character system, abundance of items and spells and finally a combat system that is both simple and intuitive but still engaging like hell when you plan who should do what to whom in your turn.

Sure there are quirks, like the inventory being this row under the viewport (It took me a moment to find it, I was looking for it by clicking on the character portraits) but those are only "confusing" until you get use to them.

Admitedly, I didnt play much of the superdemo, just killed some sunflowers, opened a chest and walked around but I definitly liked what I saw.

ben_reck

Educated
Stayed up too late last night trying this out. Eschewing hand-holding, it deposits your party in a forest with little more than leather rags and sticks to bash insects. I enjoyed the level design in terms of the exploration (smallish areas with false walls and pushable bricks). It isn't just a lot of wandering around which Etrian Odyssey falls prey to.

On advanced, I plowed through the encounters until I stumbled upon a band of brigands who cut me down with bastard swords. Exploring further, I found a mini-boss I could handle, after a few attempts, a burrowing snake. Defeating it exposed further areas of one of the game's first dungeons, as should be expected.

Inventory management's a pain in the ass. I'd like to think I'm doing it wrong.

Brings to mind Underworld Gold as a contemporary game rooted in the 80's. But I tired of that one fairly quickly (large sprawling dull maps). It also didn't quite have the depth and complexity that Grimoire hints at having.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Another gog poster said:
Sorry, I don't think anybody else in the world is actually playing Grimoire seriously except for those people.

:cry:
Jesus only had 12 apostles bro.
Of course one of them stabbed him in the back, like Infinitron here.

You should be more concerned about the ACTUAL JudasIscariot...namely, whether he will arrange for the game to be available on GOG. ;)

I don't have any arranging powahs, sorry bro :(

Repressed Homosexual
Lol, brokenforum banned me for posting a Grimoire update, good fun. Thanks for making my day, I found it genuinely funny. Man, it will be so funny when Grimoire will actually be released and people who hated on Cleve for years, some close to 15 years from Usenet, will have to eat their collective hat, I can't wait for that day.

It's funny the number of places who don't want any positive discussion of that game, I know other Codexers who talked about the game had their threads locked as well. More than glad to take one for the team.

GOG and RPGWatch are the only two other places where Grimoire has a following I can think of. You have to give credit to the GOG Poles, they aren't hypersensitive manbabies.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Lol, brokenforum banned me for posting a Grimoire update, good fun. Thanks for making my day, I found it genuinely funny. Man, it will be so funny when Grimoire will actually be released and people who hated on Cleve for years, some close to 15 years from Usenet, will have to eat their collective hat, I can't wait for that day.

It's funny the number of places who don't want any positive discussion of that game, I know other Codexers who talked about the game had their threads locked as well. More than glad to take one for the team.

GOG and RPGWatch are the only two other places where Grimoire has a following I can think of. You have to give credit to the GOG Poles, they aren't hypersensitive manbabies.

What is brokenforum? Sounds like an alias :D

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

link plz Edit: that forum looks worse than RPS.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual

A forum where the average member can't sleep at night because a video game about masturbation doesn't include an option for women with penises since it's discriminatory toward transsexuals (real news). A gathering place for PC gaming veterans, weirdos who play queer and obscure Visual Novels from Japan, and enraged SJW Tumblr crowdmembers, with an extremely elitist/insular bent to it. Quite a few knowledgeable, veteran PC gamers who are genuinely nice and pleasant to interact with, but the more extreme crowd overshadows everything else as I ended up finding out.

More specifically it has a lot of people who know Cleve from his days on Usenet and have laughed at Grimoire for years and years. No one else despises Grimoire and wants to see it fail as much.

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

A forum where the average member can't sleep at night because a video game about masturbation doesn't include an option for women with penises since it's discriminatory toward transsexuals (real case). A gathering place for PC gaming veterans, weirdos who play queer and obscure Visual Novels from Japan, and enraged SJW Tumblr crowdmembers, with an extremely elitist/insular bent to it.

More specifically it has a lot of people who know Cleve from his days on Usenet and have laughed at Grimoire for years and years.
They seems more focused on bashing the shit out of Cleve instead of playing the superdemo. Definitely not a pleasant bunch. Also, i don't know if they banned you because of advertisement or because you stated that the forum is crap. Both reasons are shitty if you ask me.

Repressed Homosexual

A forum where the average member can't sleep at night because a video game about masturbation doesn't include an option for women with penises since it's discriminatory toward transsexuals (real case). A gathering place for PC gaming veterans, weirdos who play queer and obscure Visual Novels from Japan, and enraged SJW Tumblr crowdmembers, with an extremely elitist/insular bent to it.

More specifically it has a lot of people who know Cleve from his days on Usenet and have laughed at Grimoire for years and years.
They seems more focused on bashing the shit out of Cleve instead of playing the superdemo. Definitely not a pleasant bunch. Also, i don't know if they banned you because of advertisement or because you stated that the forum is crap. Both reasons are shitty if you ask me.

I replied to them over and over again that Grimoire was a souped-up Wizardry VII, which I thought was a favorite of many, but they just kept coming up with the most irrational reasons and insults towards me to dismiss it.

Sadly it made me realize that even veteran PC gamers now think Skyrim is genius and Wizardry is just needlessly complicated and outdated.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've always stressed that it's not only casual gamers who are responsible for the desolate state of gaming. An even bigger problem are veterans who played the classics but are perfectly happy with the popamole crap they are served today and believe it to be on par with or even better than the classics of old.

I know a few people in RL with 20+ years gaming experience and they couldn't tell the difference between a good and a bad game if their live depended on it.

UserNamer

Cipher
Sadly it made me realize that even veteran PC gamers now think Skyrim is genius and Wizardry is just needlessly complicated and outdated.

not only that but the decline and the popamole were probably conceptualized and invented by the older generations of gamers. The mainstream games we have now are mostly 100% faithful adaptations of what gamers (unwisely) envisioned 10-20 years ago. I remember people fantasizing about the stuff the rpg codex loathes before it was real; if you manage to find some older archived bbs board from way back you will realize people were imagining and defining the popamole 20 years ago or more

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I've always stressed that it's not only casual gamers who are responsible for the desolate state of gaming. An even bigger problem are veterans who played the classics but are perfectly happy with the popamole crap they are served today and believe it to be on par with or even better than the classics of old.

I know a few people in RL with 20+ years gaming experience and they couldn't tell the difference between a good and a bad game if their live depended on it.
Same here. I knew many Fallout fans who embraced popamole. More, I knew one girl that grew up on Wasteland, Goldbox, etc. that was a fanatical fan of Oblivion.

not only that but the decline and the popamole were probably conceptualized and invented by the older generations of gamers. The mainstream games we have now are mostly 100% faithful adaptations of what gamers (unwisely) envisioned 10-20 years ago. I remember people fantasizing about the stuff the rpg codex loathes before it was real; if you manage to find some older archived bbs board from way back you will realize people was imagining and defining the popamole 20 years ago or more
More like the classics being a result of people liking the classics still being able to make games. Popamole always existed. It just became so dominant at some point.
In old times one could play FMV shooters one day and complex cRPGs on another day. Then the complex cRPGs simply got axed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom