Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham City thread

Admiral jimbob said:
Fuck that AA Croc level. Probably one of the worst gaming moments in years.

Well I didn't hate it THAT much but it was certainly dull compared to the rest of the game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Croc doesn't do anything in-game. But if you activate a switch in the sewers (remote batarang), he crashes through a wall. Croc doesn't attack as batman 'smells of death'. He decides to wait for batman to drop dead from his illness.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Not when you get Grapnel Boost and learn to Dive into updrafts. Batman gets a lot more fun when you're able to basically continually glide from one side of town to the other. Plus, Catwoman can't divebomb people.

Though I'm not saying that Catwoman's any less fun to play.

Assassin's Creed should take some notes from the travel abilities in this game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Mangoose said:

In before Asscreed Modern with built-in rokkit boots

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ulminati said:
Mangoose said:

In before Asscreed Modern with built-in rokkit boots
Actually I think I read that the latest Assassin's Creed has some sort of grapnel mechanic. I'm not touching that series til the next actual rendition because the only point is to explore cool new cities.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Off topic but, Its not like Batman's Grapnel gun. The hooked claw in AC:Revelations simply gives you a greater margin of success (longer reach) when making particularly long jumps and faster climbing. You made the right choice not getting it. As great as Kostantiniyye is, its just the same old shit at this point with some ho-hum additions.

Has there been any word of another batman game ? Judging from the ending, I'm guessing Joker ain't coming back, but what about Scarecrow ? Or Hush ?

anus_pounder

Arcane
:oops: Don't really know my batman. Is knightquest about JPV taking on the mantle of Batman and his subsequent defeat at the hands of Bruce ?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though the problem is that in the game Batman canon, Bane has already broken Batman's back. JPV is absent though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Though the problem is that in the game Batman canon, Bane has already broken Batman's back. JPV is absent though.
Orly.

Well I dunno. Azrael doesn't really bring any signature villains of his own (besides Bane) unless... the Order of St. Dumas is itself a villain?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Just re-reading Knightfall. I know how it ends, I know every single scene in the series, but I can't help but get depressed whenever I read that issue where Bane reveals the broken batman to Gotham.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Knightfall is literally the only full comic series I've ever read. I really like how Batman progressively gets weaker and weaker and gets broken both physically and mentally. The relationship that Batman has with Gordon (and Gotham City) is also something I really liked reading about. Apart from that, I've read a few of those x-men teenagers (evolution ?) comics that my brother bought and maybe an isolated comic of a bigger series now and then. I keep saying I'll read some more Batman but after looking at the vast content available, I always chicken out. Ditto Marvel, Ditto Superman. I prefer the DCAU which is extremely easy to get into.

Eyeball

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Fuck that AA Croc level. Probably one of the worst gaming moments in years.
Yeah, it was unfortunately pretty derptastic. I really liked the characterisation of Croc, however: that he seemed to have completely embraced his monstrous Croc persona and viewed himself as a predator seperate from the rest of humanity.

I particularly liked his audio tapes, with one part standing out to me.

"So Croc, where did you put the corpses of those gangsters you murdered? We haven't found them"
"Hmm, did you check the sewers?"
"You put the corpses in the sewers?"
"Eventually. It usually takes about six or eight hours, heh heh heh....."

The collectable audio tapes were a great touch in AA. I missed them in AC, although the running commentary by the thugs walking the streets below you were a pretty great touch that really served to flesh out the gameworld.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I think Hugo Strange interview tapes are available. You unlock them by doing riddler challenges. Alternately, you can just listen to them on youtube. You get a few from sidequests.

Vaarna_Aarne

You get an audio tape when you clear a row of Riddler Challenges in the related location. Most have around 3 or 5 audio tapes.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Fucking Riddler "fight" was anticlimactic too.

Much more fun just doing the riddles and side quest buildups for their own sake than finishing them. Meh.

Deleted member 7219

Completed the main story on hard, still got a couple of side missions to do and about 200 Riddler thingies to collect. Also I think there's some stuff I still need to do with Catwoman.

I don't know if I'll bother with the challenge maps, I got AC mainly for the story (especially Mark Hamill) and I wasn't disappointed. I do think it is overrated though, of the two it wins on boss fights but Arkham Asylum was much better in regards to keeping things moving and sensible (I mean, what the hell what was everyone doing while you're running around in AC? Joker? What was his plan? Two-Face? Etc etc).

Multi-headed Cow

abnaxus said:
Solomon Hulk, Ra's al-Ghul and Mr Freeze boss fights are fucking terrible.

And Zsasz... what a fucking joke after chasing after phones for God knows how long.
FUCK YOU MR FREEZE BOSS FIGHT WAS COOL

I'll agree on the pacing of AA being better, though I haven't finished AC yet. Still having a grand time since I enjoy the story/voice acting/graphics, and the basic gameplay is appealing since I enjoy just moving around the map and beating up random shitty thugs and collecting Riddler shit.

abnaxus said:
Solomon Hulk, Ra's al-Ghul and Mr Freeze boss fights are fucking terrible.

Lookie here, someone got his ass kicked.

Matt7895 said:
Also I think there's some stuff I still need to do with Catwoman.

You mean the sequence after the end credits? There's a section involving Two Face, not exactly an easy one too.
Started "plus" mode and still loving this. There are only a couple of upgrades left though, even after my ignoring most sidequests in first run. There should've probably been a lot higher exp requirements for gaining new levels. No big deal though, as this game is tons of fun even without leveling up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Just a tip for the Two-Face section Catwoman has: He has infinite mooks, the idea is to take out Two-Face himself.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished the game yesterday,pretty good although not as good as AA.
I agree the atmosphere and pacing were better in AA,the open world thing adds some stuff to the game but takes away some too.
The story was pretty damn stupid in some cases even for a comic book story(arresting one of the richest men alive and throwing him in jail without trial and without any crime being commited,arresting the mayor and throwing him in jail too for no apparent reason,bombing/killing the entire population of a prison with the apparent concent of the authorities,wtf is that shit).On the other hand I didn't see the twists at the end.
The bosses were generally better than AA but there were some characters thrown in just so that the developers could put every villain they could think of in the game(Solomon Grundy anyone?)

Deleted member 7219

Taking out Two-Face was easy, just went right, silently took out the two goons between me and him. Then it was just a matter of punching his face in.

I meant the ??? thing that appears in the stats menu, I am guessing that is some secret thing I need to discover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom