Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham City thread

Ezekiel

Arcane
Working on the remaining Arkham City Riddler challenge maps and campaigns years later. I have to do Robin's campaigns and Nightwings maps and campaigns. Controls are for stupids and kind of trash. Especially hate accidentally using my only smoke grenade that I need to use on an enemy. It is activated with right click when the enemies are alerted, but there are so many other context sensitive actions that use the right click. You also need it to aim/ready weapons.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Hugging walls whenever you want to dodge is annoying too. If I had my hands on this series, I'd redo the entire control scheme.

Working on the remaining Arkham City Riddler challenge maps and campaigns years later. I have to do Robin's campaigns and Nightwings maps and campaigns. Controls are for stupids and kind of trash. Especially hate accidentally using my only smoke grenade that I need to use on an enemy. It is activated with right click when the enemies are alerted, but there are so many other context sensitive actions that use the right click. You also need it to aim/ready weapons.

The games are definitely meant to be played with a controller, but yeah, they’re weirdly clunky to play upon revisits.

Ezekiel

Arcane

The games are definitely meant to be played with a controller, but yeah, they’re weirdly clunky to play upon revisits.

Does a controller fix any of the problems? I might use a controller when I play through the story again, eventually. More for the TV and speakers. I never did a third playthrough after New Game Plus in 2014, so I barely remember what happened. The keys and mouse buttons are conveniently placed. Main problem is the conflicting assignments. Another of those is the Spacebar (A). Do I want to crouch against a railing, hang from the railing or go under a grate that is in the same spot?

It's upsetting to me that there never will be a great Batman game. Property is too popular, so it has to check so many of those boring AAA boxes.

Progress has been slow going. Maybe after I'm finished with Robin (Did all the most complicated campaigns already.) I'll leave Nightwing off for another couple of years. Never spaced a game's completion out quite like this.

Twice Nightly
Complete New Game Plus
Unlocked Aug 15, 2014

Robin Revenge
Obtain 78 medals on the original Arkham City and Robin Bundle Pack maps (as Robin)
Unlocked May 1, 2015

Campaign Kitty
Obtain all 108 medals on the original Arkham City campaigns (as Catwoman)
Unlocked May 3, 2015

Perfect Knight - Day 2
Complete every challenge in Arkham City - Main Story, Side Missions, Upgrades, Collectables, New Game Plus and Riddlers Revenge (as Batman)
Unlocked Jan 7, 2017

Does a controller fix any of the problems? I might use a controller when I play through the story again, eventually. More for the TV and speakers. I never did a third playthrough after New Game Plus in 2014, so I barely remember what happened. The keys and mouse buttons are conveniently placed. Main problem is the conflicting assignments. Another of those is the Spacebar (A). Do I want to crouch against a railing, hang from the railing or go under a grate that is in the same spot?

The game plays better with a controller, imo, but all of those issues are still present to some degree. Movement in particular is much easier with an analogue stick than with WASD though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Movement in particular is much easier with an analogue stick than with WASD though.

This really doesn't matter. Your hand is always on the mouse, so you can always adjust between the eight directions of WASD. Unlike the right stick, that makes the player move their thumb off to interact with the face buttons. The combat and stealth are fairly automated anyway. I mean that the game will target the enemy or object for you as long as you are within about two feet, which makes analog less important.

I tried it with a controller again out of curiosity an hour ago and found that there doesn't seem to be any way to quick fire/use any weapon immediately. You have to select it with the D-pad first? With a keyboard, you can just double-tap the buttons on the number row.

Movement in particular is much easier with an analogue stick than with WASD though.

This really doesn't matter. Your hand is always on the mouse, so you can always adjust between the eight directions of WASD. Unlike the right stick, that makes the player move their thumb off to interact with the face buttons. The combat and stealth are fairly automated anyway. I mean that the game will target the enemy or object for you as long as you are within about two feet, which makes analog less important.

I tried it with a controller again out of curiosity an hour ago and found that there doesn't seem to be any way to quick fire/use any weapon immediately. You have to select it with the D-pad first? With a keyboard, you can just double-tap the buttons on the number row.
It’s been a while since I played AC, but I believe there are gadget quick fires by holding the left shoulder button and using the other buttons on the controller.

My point about movement is more about precision placement of Batman in the sections that require platforming. With m+kb I found myself doing a lot more circling around, accidentally hanging down off ledges, and otherwise being fairly derpy. It still happens with controller to some degree, but not as bad. And the ability to control movement sped while crouching is nice.

Ezekiel

Arcane
you'd have to be completely retarded to try to play a game like that with keyboard/mouse and not expect it to control like shit

The device makes little difference. Explain how it would. You're still choosing between clumsy context-sensitive actions in the same way: trying to shift the camera to choose the wall hug or grate, for example. I do fine with a mouse and keyboard.

batman-bored.jpg

It's a shallow system whose flaws are built into the mechanics, not the keyboard or controller specifically.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished Robin. Tried Nightwing's campaigns, but I'm fed up again. I don't know how people have the patience to immediately do it all over again with another character. Hours of more work. Fun at times to figure out, the Predator maps, but as a whole still work. Yeah, think it will be a long while before I bother with Nightwing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just want to point out if you play these games with keyboard and mouse you are autistic to some degree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom