Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Flash

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Duraframe300, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I just remembered this guy:

Tempus!
    [​IMG]

Sounds like a ready-made LOT season villain.

"The future is a boring utopia, fuck this shit."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    I'm only speaking on business terms. There's a huge generation that watched the Static Shock show. In terms of ratings, Static is the better pick. Also The Brazilian Slaughter did you ever watch the JL(U?) episode where we see old Static? (Best fan-service episode btw).

The only reason I can think of is that Black Lightning was the first black DC hero (I think) so maybe it's a SJW thing.

^ Top  
  3. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    in terms of being able to be a main villain that can "carry a show"
    Show Spoiler
    Actually I thought Thawne would be immediately creamed because he just gathered a large number of himself using the speed force. He's lucky Zoom didn't break out of Star Labs, because even futuristic technology is not as powerful as the Speed Force. (Why? Because it's the fucking Speed Force. On that note, you ever read Flash: Rebirth? Not the current Rebirth one, but the one semi-TPB from the last decade. Like, it was cashing in on Green Lantern: Rebirth)

On a separate note:

Clearly Arrow and Legends are benefiting from new cast members. Arrow, we've already discussed. For Legends, IMO Nate's actor is surprisingly good. Granted Legends somehow casted some of the really good TV actors around (Stein is from Alias, Scofield and Mick from Prison Break, Routh actually a film actor, obviously the Season 2 villains also take the cake with Malcolm being from Deadwood).

But Flash is a quandary because the plot currently doesn't have the room for new cast. I thought for a while about that, and concluded that they need to play up the Vibe vs. Killer Frost subplot. Maybe even make it a significant secondary plot for the next season. Cisco and Caitlin are decent enough actors to carry a show. The problem is that the actor for Wally, while a decent actor, doesn't have the "presence" to lead the show
    Show Spoiler
    you know, after "something" happens involving the Flash during the Crisis on Infinite Earths (key reminder about the "Red Skies" in the future newspaper, btw)
    and unless Wells becomes the main character... Well, that could make Flash the best show ever lol.

Seriously, though, I think they should escalate subplot(s) about Cisco and Caitlin, they may not be actors like the other shows, but they're decent and act just as well as Curtis if not better.

Also S2 Legends was :incline: also because the villains were great and acted great. Savage was fucking terrible, he's supposed to be the epitome of the sin of Pride, he basically has never been killed, and he sure as hell doesn't do shit for love. Or at least that's how he's been portrayed both in the comics and in animated JL. You could say that S2 Legends has been the best season of these DC shows, with S2 Flash being the lagging behind second because of how seriously fucking menacing Zoom was. Zoom actually humiliated Barry by going full Bane mode. Savitar is just... doesn't do anything interesting as a villain except killing Iriis. Not to mention that Savitar barely even appears because they decided the episodes should be about Barry and co changing time. (Unless... Savitar for some reason has an ulterior motive with the Flash)

Grodd and the like (excepting most of the Rogues), just don't have the personality to run the show. Or at least hasn't been able to - he's always felt like monster of the week, and I mean more than just literally being a monster of a week). Like the show's rendition of Savitar. And the problem with the Rogues is that Barry has already faced most of them and they've already been shown to be weak even working together. That is, in terms of being able to be a main villain that can "carry a show." Besides Cold, and Heatwave. Actually, I just had the thought that if Vibe or Frost turn sides and join the Rogues and possibly lead them, then a Rogues Gallery season would possibly work. They could bring in Bart (obviously to bring in Inertia to lead the Rogues and... do something terrible that the Rogues would never do on their own)... but they can't because Wally is still in development stage, his subplot isn't going to be ending anytime soon.

BTW Bart arriving in Young Justice was fucking hilarious!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I am not sure what you are talking about when talking about good actors. All 3 shows are very lacking in good actors. Wells actor in only one that commands your attention when on screen, everyone else is kind of between average to terrible (iris, wally, black part of firestorm, most of arrow cast).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    If you notice, I'm talking about specific seasons. And I already said Flash is the one lacking in acting.

So for Arrow I mean the new ones in this current season. Well. Okay it's just Wild Dog now. And Anatoli. Ragman's actor was decent, don't know why he left.

Also I included villains in terms of actors, not just the good guys. (Which is why Savitar makes S3 suck and Savage made S1 < S2 of Legends)

For Legends we got:
    Ray Palmer/Brandon Routh was Superman in Superman Returns (but he's better as a nerdy character clearly).
    Victor Garber from Alias.
    Scofield and Burrows from Prison Break.
    Malcolm/Barrowman from Doctor Who, who was good enough that they made a spinoff show for Barrowman (Torchwood).
    And I guess you can add in Crixus from Spartacus.

Moreover, good acting doesn't necessarily mean you command attention. Now obviously, you need actors like that. But you also need side actors that don't overact or underact.

^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    None of those are good actors. Malcolm likes to overact all the time (didn't watch him in Dr Who, I don't like that show). Prison Break boys are just as bad as in that terrible overrated POS show. The flame gun dude has a couple of entertaining lines that are above average but his acting is far from good.
    Brandon Routh is not that good as a nerd and he wasn't good as Superman.
    Garber is OK but nothing special.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    ^ Top  
  7. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Looks like someone doesn't know about skyway.

^ Top  
  9. J_C A Long Road Home Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I know this is not the TV show, but just wanted to show how cool the Flash can be when he utilizes his powers to its full potential. That time travelling finisher at the end looks sick.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Injustice 1 was a fun game. MK devs, a universe where only half the Justice League go Injustice (as opposed to Earth-3/Earth-Three). I'm no fighting game adept, and I don't really like the type of fighting game with secondary/tertiary resources (my mainstays as a adolescent were Virtua Fighter 4 and Soul Calibur. But man it was entertaining to watch it on Evo tournaments streamed. Green Arrow's reliance on (a variety of) trick arrows was really necessary but when the mechanic was used by an experienced player, man it was like having really interesting long-ranged combos of variety. Aquaman was just entertaining in how intimidating he was because his spear kinda made him a melee monster (without being OP). Green Lantern actually had more than just shooting green blasts - he (or I) actually relied on doing things like grabbing an enemy from about mid-range and knocking them down. Also Flash was really fun to play. Probably because his "special resource" was switching into speed mode.

MK devs know their stuff I guess. I mean, obviously not top-tier fighting game style, but they are good at making things "fun" without being button mashing.

That being said I need my Soul Calibur/Virtua Fighter non-resource type of game. I still remember which characters I preferred in each.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    That being said, I have completely ignorant of how Injustice 2 is, so what I said only recommends the first.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Netherealms have been making good games since MK9. I only played them in campaign mode and a bit of 1v1 vs a friend but I watched a fair bit of tournaments on twitch. Always fun to see top players do crazy comboes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Yeah I've heard good things about the latest MKs. Injustice is fun to watch because you can do combos from a variety of ranges.

Still, I like the Soul Calibur-esque or Virtua Fighter-esque fighting game more... but they aren't ported to the PC. Only thing on the PC there is is Virtua Fighter 2 lol. I guess I could emulate.

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I grew up on Mortal Kombats and Street Fighters for PC. Never liked these other console fighting games.
    But I spent most time playing this mechwarrior like FG for PC where you would compete in tournaments vs AI and then upgrade your pilots or Mechs with winnings.
    I hope one day someone makes a more complex version of it.
    Edit: it was called One Must Fall 2097

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    ^ Top  
  15. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    I don't mind MK but as for SF I'm just not a big fan of secondary resources like super bars and stuff. It's not that I dislike the micromanagement, but I would rather have the micromanagement just on the fighting.

I grew up playing the emulated SNES games (Chrono Trigger, FFVI), and as for fighting games I played Japanese DBZ fighting games, and then after that I played Soul Calibur 1 on the Dreamy Dreamcast. Also Skies of Arcadia when I got the Dreamcast. Oh yeah, and a shitload of Dynasty Warriors (because I was staying summers with my cousins so we co-oped).

^ Top  
  16. Max Stats Educated

Max Stats
    Parrots:
    Caught up to it last night, and thought it was mostly dreck. Liked the SuperFriends mention, though the song was (like all the songs here) pretty cringy.

^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    S05's ending promises to be EPIC

• incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Parrots:
    Wade! :bounce:

^ Top  
  19. HoboForEternity Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    Ay fucking death fucking stroke

^ Top  
  20. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Arrow would've died if not for impeccable (or moderately good but outrageous like Darhk) actors. It survived past S3 because it fell into a Lazarus Pit.

It's trending to the point where I'd have my best actor be the villain. Perhaps this is because each of these are team shows. An idea that is supported by the current season, where the addition of Wild Dog actually makes me interested in Team Arrow scenes. I was unhappy that they didn't use Ted Grant much, but I'll take a different kind of street fighter with a 'tude. A good guy who can't tell when he slings insults and feels sorry afterwards.

Hoss.

Also, Chase's actor did a great job hiding it all, like I really believed he like Gotham's Star City's White Knight. At worst I thought he was Vigilante. It was only when the plot had him snag a piece of Vigilante's visor when RUH ROH

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Not one scene with Vigilante eh?

^ Top  
  22. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I don't think its Roy. Vigilante doens't seem to know who Oliver Queen really is. Roy does. Unless somesort of amnésia?

Heh, I see what you did there.

I like how Arrow is bringing the spotlight on non-Bat street vigilantes. I want to see The Question or Manhunter so bad next season.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

^ Top  
  24. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Actually they said it was someone recognizable.

Anyways, I really can't think of any "good guys that kill with tech and weaponry" besides Guy "Warrior" Gardner, and Roy as Arsenal.

The funny thing is he brings Bat-like vigilantes. Like Prometheus is, well, in the comics, closest to Batman in terms of MO.

Did you get the double joke there? Hell, the Spear of Destiny probably somehow shot him into a Lazarus Pit.

The only problem with Roy is that his actor does not seem at all good at playing a vicious gray-area vigilante. But you never know, as Arrow is quite shitty at casting characters. Like Laurel, who was so fucking good as a villain in Supernatural.

Or the Spear of Destiny could've brought Tommy back, with Tommy actually having the justification to be a character like Vigilante because of Laurel dying. But that might be jumping the shark.

I really can't think of anyone else because basically Team Arrow and allies were always there when Vigilante was around. Besides the fact that nobody of significance has tried to kill Oliver with guns beside Slade I guess.

Fake edit: I just checked on Roy and apparently he already named himself Arsenal and then was blackmailed into working for the Calculator. And that he was not always in agreement with Oliver, and not in the Diggle manner. The problem, again, is that he never really seemed angry. I'm not sure the actor can do it. Like how the actress for Vixen had no idea how to make a realistic reaction or expression. She would slightly raise one eyebrow and that's about it. Funny thing is that I'm no misogynist (I am too lazy to care) but Sara was the next weak link, she seemed rather... cardboardy/2-dimensional at times. But still a lot better than Vixen, and by the end of the season she was pretty good at being a non-overacting or underacting captain.

I dunno, man, there are not a lot of "good guys going overboard" in Arrow besides Oliver himself. Or I guess Felicity's subplot but obviously its neither of them, too many alibis. Incidentally, Felicity is a lot better to watch with this shit going on. I guess the producers finally decided to make things dramatic/dynamic without being a soap opera like S1. Killer Cold for example.

^ Top  
  25. MaskedMan Sex God Patron

MaskedMan
    Parrots:
    Gonna be Black Police Captain cause he's basically the only character on the show that doesn't know oliver is the arrow [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)