Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How does the ranking shit in the post-GBA games work?
After Sacred Stones they got rid of that mechanic. According to a wiki, Path of Radiance only counted kills and had some trial map thing with a similar display.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
FEESoV_Feb112017_01.jpg
FEESoV_Feb112017_02.jpg

FEESoV_Feb112017_03.jpg
FEESoV_Feb112017_04.jpg

FEESoV_Feb112017_05.jpg
FEESoV_Feb112017_06.jpg
FEESoV_Feb112017_07.jpg
[
FEESoV_Feb112017_08.jpg
/spoiler]

Siveon

Bot
Ooh, Dungeon Crawl mechanic. I really hope they dropped the stupid pair-up and MyCastle shit, but considering this is another game with changed classes... I doubt it.

I don't think I could stand another grindtastic Sacred Stones/Awakening map either.

Zetor

Arcane
That's nice and all, but what about the new Fire Emblem game released last week?! I'm sure it has unmatched tacticool depth. /troll

seriously though, this is the point where I gotta get a 3ds, right? dammit

Ooh, Dungeon Crawl mechanic. I really hope they dropped the stupid pair-up and MyCastle shit, but considering this is another game with changed classes... I doubt it.

I don't think I could stand another grindtastic Sacred Stones/Awakening map either.
This is a remake of Fire Emblem: Gaiden, so the real question is how close this is going to be to the original, since that bit them in the ass with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Fire Emblem 1), that they didn't even release the FE3 remake outside japan.

Siveon

Bot

This is a remake of Fire Emblem: Gaiden, so the real question is how close this is going to be to the original, since that bit them in the ass with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Fire Emblem 1), that they didn't even release the FE3 remake outside japan.
No, at this point I'm just hoping for a decent Fire Emblem game, whether it's close to the original or not. At least the art is better (then say, Awakening/Fates).

Here's Elmer's weeaboo son reviewing FE2 so use this as a baseline once we get more info about FE:Echoes.

I think they're going to put in the rock paper scissor system like the other games have, may remove the magic using health mechanic, put in some more shit in the explorable sections and i'm sure about if they're going to add more waifubait.

Siveon

Bot
Okay, I get it, FE Gaiden is different (or basically just Shining Force).

I don't expect most of that stuff in, but considering they kept (not added) some version of dungeon crawling means something.

Zetor

Arcane
3DS and FE:Fates acquired. I started with the birthright campaign -- yeah I know, decline etc, but I need to learn how all these new systems work, get a feel for the new classes/abilities, etc, plus this way going into the real campaign (conquest) will feel like an upgrade. I also decided to skip all optional / side content to avoid characters becoming too powerful.

The writing and overall story is kinda terrible, but - at least on hard difficulty and permadeath - there are some good times to be had. Like that fucking boat map with 23947823479 fliers that all converge on the party by turn x -- ended up having to do a lot of offensive pushing to thin them out ASAP alternating with bunkering up (+ dragon vein things) to avoid the constant reinforcements gibbing squishy party members, while that new flying archer took care of half the map by herself (seriously, she's a goddamn solo murder machine with the HP regen on kill). I should probably start using those level 10+ characters I picked up recently, they have waaaay better stats than most of my core team...

e: also, I assume you change classes close to level 20, right? At least I seem to remember promoting at low levels to be a bad idea in earlier FEs.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
while that new flying archer took care of half the map by herself (seriously, she's a goddamn solo murder machine with the HP regen on kill).
Be careful about prepromotes - they tend to have lower stat growth and higher EXP requirements than unpromoted starter units, so they tend to lose out in the long run (except against very bad characters)

Unless they're a Royal, in which case they're usually top tier.

e: also, I assume you change classes close to level 20, right? At least I seem to remember promoting at low levels to be a bad idea in earlier FEs.
It's still a bad idea. You generally want to be promoting at the level cap. In certain situations, sometimes you might have to promote a bit early in order to pass a tough spot, but never on your main units and even then you probably want it to be like level 17+, not level 10.

Zetor

Arcane
The funnysad thing is that now in the endgame, that prepromoted flying archer (Reina) has become one of the best units in my army and definitely the best one to kill fliers and/or mages with -- really high str/speed, and the other stats are pretty respectable too. I also use an illusory yumi for killing mages so she takes barely any damage only to heal it back immediately anyway. Takumi would probably do better... except I killed him when he attacked me in an earlier mission (whoops). The other archer, otoh, is just really really bad.

Same with axe users: I basically had two options, Rinkah and Scarlet (prepromoted wyvern rider). Even though I kept Rinkah in my party since day 1, she's completely outclassed by Scarlet in every way... plus, since Scarlet can fly AND use lances, there's just no point in keeping Rinkah around.

e: also, the story was pretty bad before, but holy FUCK does it get even worse in the mid-endgame. I'd make a bullet-point list, but basically the entire storyline is just a sequence of clumsy plot devices and staggering incompetence. Also, for a 'modern' FE game that seems to focus on the characters, they sure feel like a bunch of bland cardboard cutouts to me (there are like 3 characters that are barely 2-dimensional, and the rest can be 100% described with a single character trait).

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also, for a 'modern' FE game that seems to focus on the characters, they sure feel like a bunch of bland cardboard cutouts to me (there are like 3 characters that are barely 2-dimensional, and the rest can be 100% described with a single character trait).
By "focus on characters" they just mean "you can marry your favourite waifu"

Also you're going to "enjoy" Conquest's plot.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most vestiges of literary-ness has been drained out of the Fire Emblem series.

The GBA games were the high point, even the worst one (Sacred Stones) felt like a decently written epic war fantasy novel more than a crappy Shonen anime.

Don't think it is coming back, but I always have hope.

Siveon

Bot
Also, for a 'modern' FE game that seems to focus on the characters, they sure feel like a bunch of bland cardboard cutouts to me (there are like 3 characters that are barely 2-dimensional, and the rest can be 100% described with a single character trait).
Yup, it's exactly like that with Awakening. I don't know if Intelligent Systems fired a bunch of their writers, or it's the terrible Treehouse localization, but the character interactions really took a nose dive.

The saddest part is that a lot of people are into it. They really like these one-note characters, and I just don't see it.

Red Rogue

Learned
Yup, it's exactly like that with Awakening. I don't know if Intelligent Systems fired a bunch of their writers, or it's the terrible Treehouse localization, but the character interactions really took a nose dive.

The saddest part is that a lot of people are into it. They really like these one-note characters, and I just don't see it.

That's an understatement. People lose their minds over Awakening. I see it heralded as not only one of the best games on the 3DS, but as one of the best JRPGS of all time, quite commonly.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, that's understandable, in a way.

Awakening is sort of like medieval art or pre-ROTJ Star Wars toys, it has a charming simplicity. "Charming simplicity" may have been its only meaningful design parameter.

Fates has to conform to a higher standard because it is based on a grander concept.

Zetor

Arcane
Also you're going to "enjoy" Conquest's plot.
Yea, I'm only on the early chapters, but it's already pretty rage-inducing. Either the PC is a level 99 puppetmaster with their scheme resembling a 53D chess match already in progress OR s/he is just really stupid, naive and easily manipulated... gee I wonder which one is more likely. Or, to extend this to the story itself, the Conquest plot is either a clever deconstruction of why most villain lieutenants in jrpgs tend to be super dumb, or... just a bunch of really bad writing.

Good thing about the 3DS though is that I can just go and play some EO or something as a palate cleanser. And hey, the Conquest battlemaps are pretty good!

RuySan

Augur
I rescued my DS (actually my wife's) from the bottom of a drawer, to make sure it was still working, and lo and behold. Addicted to Fire Emblem again.

Started first with FF tactics A2, but that game is ridiculously slow. While the DS screen just feels to small, and I get hand cramps from playing 30 min, it's worth the pain to be back to the slickness and pace of FE. Shadow Heroes is great, and the extra screen really helps.

Siveon

Bot
Shadow Heroes is great, and the extra screen really helps.
Are you talking about Shadow Dragon or the sequel Heroes of Light and Shadow (or just New Mystery of the Emblem)?

If it's the former I recommend getting a flashcart or something to play the fan-translated sequel.

Vorark

Erudite
Yep, FE12 is really good. Boogles the mind how Nintendo didn't bother to bring it over. I heartily recommend it to anyone traumatized by Awakening/Fates.

Siveon

Bot
Yep, FE12 is really good. Boogles the mind how Nintendo didn't bother to bring it over. I heartily recommend it to anyone traumatized by Awakening/Fates.
Well, of course I'd say play the first (Shadow Dragon) just so you'd get a bit of context - but yeah it is a palette cleanser.

RuySan

Augur
I liked shadow dragon also. FE is like pizza. Unless those Awakening relationships were the pineapple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom