Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Perkel

Arcane
So far main story + all sidequests.

They are working on support which are partially translated but they are redoing them from stratch as many of them were poor quality translations and are much more robust due to NoA/NoE cutting most of content.

The main story + sidequest was done along time ago by the main team. Like not too long after the western release. The main team got burned out and the team working on the support is different. Last time I went to sereneforest they actually need more people to help them.

They are actually making progress on supports while original team left supports completely.
supports are the hardest from game because there is simply a lot more talk in there than in whole game

i'll wait for If translation.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
Fire-Emblem-Sacred-Stones_GBA_US_ESRB.jpg

The Fire Emblem game that sold me on the series. Granted it's not for the casual gamer... there's way too much thinking, positioning, and potential for loss to give this to a child or someone who only plays games on the side as a time waster.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Funnily enough, general opinion suggests that Sacred Stones is the easiest game in the series, as far as I know.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Sacred Stones can be pathetically easy. Enemy monsters almost never gain stats with levels and you can grind yourself silly for both weapons and xp. The LP on LP Archives has a character from the first couple of chapters put to the side then brought back on the last level and he held his own just fine with an exception or two. I like it but the difficulty is a serious weakness.

Fire-Emblem-Sacred-Stones_GBA_US_ESRB.jpg

The Fire Emblem game that sold me on the series. Granted it's not for the casual gamer... there's way too much thinking, positioning, and potential for loss to give this to a child or someone who only plays games on the side as a time waster.

This is going to backfire spectacularly. Sacred Stones is easy as shit. Stop trying to be an edgelord, this is a game that's beatable by 8 year old kids without much trouble.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
This is going to backfire spectacularly. Sacred Stones is easy as shit. Stop trying to be an edgelord, this is a game that's beatable by 8 year old kids without much trouble.
I'm not one of those hardcore gamers that likes to spend half a year on one game perfecting it. I don't understand why Americans treat everything like a sport. Sports run peoople's lives so that's why they train vigorously and make the big bucks. I don't play games to be Babe Ruth, I play games to have fun and relax. If I have to work at it or constantly study angles and rigorously check walkthroughs to advance, that's neither fun nor relaxation now is it?

It's more so an indication of America's ultra competitive hyper-masculinity issues... That's why Dark Souls is considered a humiliatingly bad game outside of the states.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not one of those hardcore gamers that likes to spend half a year on one game perfecting it.
The Fire Emblem game that sold me on the series. Granted it's not for the casual gamer...
So, wait, which are you?

It's more so an indication of America's ultra competitive hyper-masculinity issues... That's why Dark Souls is considered a humiliatingly bad game outside of the states.
A Japanese game is only considered good in the states. Hmm, there's something wrong here and I don't know what.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Frankly, these games were never that hard to begin with. We perceive them as hard because we all want to keep everyone alive while attempting to give everyone a place during a first playthrough, which is a cool challenge. But when you start to optimize the use of certain characters and accept to sacrifice the rest, you can fare to the end without much trouble.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Frankly, these games were never that hard to begin with. We perceive them as hard because we all want to keep everyone alive while attempting to give everyone a place during a first playthrough, which is a cool challenge. But when you start to optimize the use of certain characters and accept to sacrifice the rest, you can fare to the end without much trouble.

Pretty any game is only hard for such reasons though. :M

Archibald

Arcane
Thats dynamic difficulty level selection. If you suck at game you can still win it by pretty much sacrificing anyone and winning last battle with surprise turbo recruit that with some help can win last map on his own. If you don't suck then you try to get to the end without losses.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
It has nothing to do with being good or not. Although being good at a game like Fire Emblem pretty much means using the weapon triangles and avoiding archers with your flying units and other stupid obvious shits like that.
Saving everybody, in itself, isn't even hard. Just don't put them on the field. Done - they're alive at the end, congratz.
The usual challenge is to keep everyone alive and keep everyone operational otherwise it's pointless.

But this being the usual challenge people set themselves doesn't mean it's the only one at all. You can go the solo challenge and be like "let's see how far I can go by getting everybody killed but this guy and this guy" etc. There's a ton of possibilities because, in the end, the only thing that matters is that if the heroes reach the end and beat the final boss, then you win. That's the only condition and, to get my point back to where it was : it isn't hard.

Pretty any game is only hard for such reasons though.

There's actually a lot of games that aren't hard whatever you set yourselves as personal goal so, not really. Although there's the lot of games that are hard but not enjoyable so they're to be scratched too. What's cool with FE is that this kind of challenge is fun. And yeah farming kind of kills it completely - effectively removing the illusion of difficulty as well.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I would like to see a FE style game that was more like X-Com. Instead of each unit being a hand-crafted character, make them generic and provide an easy way to gather and train new recruits.

Then you can ramp up the difficulty and set the expectation that as a player you will inevitably lose people. It would make for a different type of experience but one that is probably more tactically interesting.

Delterius

Arcane
I would like to see a FE style game that was more like X-Com. Instead of each unit being a hand-crafted character, make them generic and provide an easy way to gather and train new recruits.

Then you can ramp up the difficulty and set the expectation that as a player you will inevitably lose people. It would make for a different type of experience but one that is probably more tactically interesting.
Basically old school fire emblem except without this faggotry of losing generic characters.

Mozg

Arcane
I thought the FE7 ranked thing in Hector hardmode was fun enough. It encouraged all the tactical sperging (spreading XP, using rescue tricks to speed up chapters, getting all the treasure) without throwing out 75% of the game like full speedrunning does.

You had to hit certain thresholds of levels gained (which encouraged you to mix in using shitter characters to at least get them a few cheap levels, and to recruit everyone), net money gained (which encouraged you to be stingy and to collect all the loot you could), and to stay under a set number of turns (which was low enough to prevent most grinding - in fact it was buggy and unintentionally low, which accidentally made it low enough to make it interesting).

How does the ranking shit in the post-GBA games work?

Zanzoken

Arcane

so... FFT?

Yeah but even FFT had a lot of "companion" type characters, and it was limited to fairly small party sizes.

Zanzoken

Arcane

Basically old school fire emblem except without this faggotry of losing generic characters.

What's tough about letting your guys die in FE is that they can't be easily replaced from a tactical standpoint. For instance in FE7 let's say you let Erk die -- I'm pretty sure you won't get another Anima mage until Pent joins, which is pretty late in the game.

I mean the designers themselves have said that most of the challenge in FE comes from trying to make it through without letting anyone die. It just seems kind of silly to me though. I know they will never change it for FE because the series basically survives now because of anime fags jerking off over the characters. But I'd like to see a new series where it's a little more realistic.

Maybe Battle Brothers when it gets finished will be able to fill that role.

Delterius

Arcane
You should check the oldest FEs, one of them (can't remember which) won't even let you advance past the first few chapters without sacrificing a childhood friend or something like that. The games were balanced for the sort of play you are looking for.

TigerKnee

Arcane

so... FFT?
What the hell, what FFT are you playing? You aren't expected to let anyone turn into Crystal in FFT and mostly use the same batch of 4 generics throughout the game unless you want to use any of the story characters.

You should check the oldest FEs, one of them (can't remember which) won't even let you advance past the first few chapters without sacrificing a childhood friend or something like that.
It was the very first game.

Everyone who knew what they were doing sacrificed Jeigan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom