Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm rather pleased; Hard Classic Hoshido Chapters 10-12 have fairly been tactically challenging/interesting... however, each stage seems to introduce successively extreme gimmicks, such as Ch. 11 in which all opponents are flying type and there are a total of twenty (count 'em, twenty) reinforcements. Better bring both of your archers. You didn't lose or class-change either of them, I trust?

Also, there are some rather annoying flaws or quirks in pretty much every map. For example, Ch. 10 is full of enemy ninja and traps, but the traps barely do anything to either friend or foe and so it's mostly just a hectic slog.

Aside from gimmicks, I've also noticed that there are more and more enemies and reinforcements and that obstacles like choke points are becoming more and more frequent. The end result is that battles take fucking forever, especially on Hard Classic where if you don't read every enemy skill, check their weapons, monitor their attack ranges at all times, and meticulously position your units every single turn, they're probably gonna gangbang your healer or songstress. It's fucking exhausting. Good thing you can fold the little fucking thing up and come back to it later.

The Hard difficulty stat growth handicaps on top of the distinct possibility of bad RNG (like a unit getting only a single +1 twice in a row, then 2 +1s and so on) continues to annoy the shit out of me. Units can become borderline unusable in important battles due to this, for no reason other than the shit-tier Japgarbage character stats system.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Yeah "growths" are stupid. A simple point buy system with a flat stat gain per level would eliminate the frustration.

The end result is that battles take fucking forever, especially on Hard Classic where if you don't read every enemy skill, check their weapons, monitor their attack ranges at all times, and meticulously position your units every single turn, they're probably gonna gangbang your healer or songstress.

Does the AI still just target whichever enemy it can do the most damage to? It's very basic but usually effective, going back to the whole "nobody dies" motif. Since buffs, debuffs, and holds are barely even a thing in FE, I'm thinking the only way they could probably make it tougher is if the enemy could choose a kill whenever it has one available, even if it could do more damage to another character.

Such amazing dialogs getting butchered. Pity.

:shittydog: Yeah, they're your usual japanese "yay friendship" or cool-guy-brooding contest, but I'd rather have the original if the substitute is going to be just as silly, plus it can create inconsistencies if something that looked pointless turns out to be important later on (such as the two assassins' conversation). I feel like localization should be saved for stuff that really needs it like those untranslatable "you wanted a sponge? I thought you meant assault rifle" kanji puns.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I like how you are "rather pleased" and then list bunch of negatives :D

I could list more. For example, the AI is often either leashed or scripted (meaning it either waits to attack the first of your units that moves within its range, or charges mindlessly forward to attack once your units fulfill certain conditions such as moving past a particular tile), very predictable, and very stupid. Let's say an enemy archer is leashed to a certain spot, and I move my diviner (and only my diviner) into its attack range. Scroll > bow, but sure enough, instead of stalling or falling back to join its comrades elsewhere on the map, the archer will stupidly attack the diviner.

It will do this even if its weapon will deal 0 damage to its target and if it's guaranteed to die in the process. A great knight will attack my cavalier wielding an Armorslayer, earning certain death for itself, et cetera and so on.

The challenge is there and it's pretty good, but it stems entirely from the rock-paper-scissors weapon system, RPG stats (which, for your units, are handicapped in Hard), tons of enemies with better stats than your gimped units, maps that squeeze you through chokepoints and gimmicks to the AI's advantage and often force you to use very particular strategies, etc.

Does the AI still just target whichever enemy it can do the most damage to? It's very basic but usually effective, going back to the whole "nobody dies" motif. Since buffs, debuffs, and holds are barely even a thing in FE, I'm thinking the only way they could probably make it tougher is if the enemy could choose a kill whenever it has one available, even if it could do more damage to another character.

Maybe. Quite often, they'll target your most vulnerable characters like healers and singers, if they can reach them... but that's in all probability because those units will take the most damage. When it comes to "direct combat" units, I've been absolutely sure that one of my characters was about to die if two particular enemies attacked it next turn, only to watch the first of those enemies veer off to attack a different unit instead; the AI then fails to kill any of my units that turn, and I'm able to heal up.

It's likely they just target whichever unit they can deal the most damage to most of the time, although there may be caveats.

Edit: One caveat I'm sure of is that enemies will often prioritize attacking characters who cannot retaliate. For example, melee enemies will very frequently choose to close in and attack your archers, who can only attack two spaces away.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Intelligent Systems always makes one map that makes me consider quitting the series. In Nohr it is Ch. 10 hard mode. By the time I beat it I'm sure I'll have spent more time on this single map than the rest of the game combined.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be fair to the team, people asking for fan translations can and usually become entitled nagging assholes. From those that kept asking ETA, NoA knights who criticize the translators because they think "localization" is better, to people that make several pages of post just to complain that "if you can do it like paid professional than fuck off and don't touch muh game", I wonder why the hell fan translation scene is still alive. It is especially worse in game with big community like this (FE), legend of heroes, etc.

Archibald

Arcane
I think that translation scene is still alive because vast majority doesn't give a shit about drama and just downloads translations to play games.

deuxhero

Arcane
How do you stop your references from being dated by the time the game comes out? Why you make them references to 15 year old shows so they're dated by the time you were first hired!
nwygkzfrnf.png

honestly while more timepasses, i think that Fire Emblem is only shit and the only reason it is something popular and someone cares about their existence is because Smash Bross.

a very linear strategy game, with a ultra very basic combat, and a shit weaboo story

The only way I see fire emblem work , is with a good story and all Fire Emblem has a shitty pathetic melodramatic story.

Archibald

Arcane
I think it is possible that Smash is one the reasons why Blazing Sword was released in the west, but after that its popularity grew only when they dumbed it down and introduced waifus.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was popular well before their cameo in Melee, at least in Japan and in the importing community (iirc). For the west Melee definitely spurred an interest, but I believe it was the sales of Advance Wars that tipped Nintendo over.

The best Fire Emblem games are great strategy RPGs, I don't know what you're blathering on about.

Amn Nom

Learned
honestly while more timepasses, i think that Fire Emblem is only shit and the only reason it is something popular and someone cares about their existence is because Smash Bross.

a very linear strategy game, with a ultra very basic combat, and a shit weaboo story

The only way I see fire emblem work , is with a good story and all Fire Emblem has a shitty pathetic melodramatic story.

Genealogy of the Holy War. It came out before Smash and has one of the better JRPG stories.

Malpercio

Arcane
It was so popular that Awakening was going to be the last one because of poor sales. And less is said about FE GC/WII sales the better it is. They are not pretty.

Personally, linearity is one of the thing I like the most about FE and why it's one of the few tactic series I can get behind. No grind, you play map after map. The ability to grind is one of the reasons why I dislike Awakening/Birthright/Fates (The other is that Awakening is absolute shit).

Conquest is very good, especially the map design.

Amn Nom

Learned
It was so popular that Awakening was going to be the last one because of poor sales. And less is said about FE GC/WII sales the better it is. They are not pretty.

Personally, linearity is one of the thing I like the most about FE and why it's one of the few tactic series I can get behind. No grind, you play map after map. The ability to grind is one of the reasons why I dislike Awakening/Birthright/Fates (The other is that Awakening is absolute shit).

If you liked Conquest buy Revelation. It has an option to grind I like to pretend that doesn't exist, the selling point is its map design is about mid-tier Fire Emblem looking at the series as a whole. Its much closer to Sacred Stones then Awakening or Birthright.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you liked Conquest buy Revelation. It has an option to grind I like to pretend that doesn't exist, the selling point is its map design is about mid-tier Fire Emblem looking at the series as a whole. Its much closer to Sacred Stones then Awakening or Birthright.

Worth knowing. Thanks.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So far main story + all sidequests.

They are working on support which are partially translated but they are redoing them from stratch as many of them were poor quality translations and are much more robust due to NoA/NoE cutting most of content.

The main story + sidequest was done along time ago by the main team. Like not too long after the western release. The main team got burned out and the team working on the support is different. Last time I went to sereneforest they actually need more people to help them.

Vagiel

Augur
I just bought conquest hoping I can zone out the story and just play it for the gameplay.

I can't do it... Real waste of money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom