Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

deuxhero

Arcane

I wonder if this was intentional and another example of goons thinking they're funny, or horrible programing/forgotten placeholder.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The amount of weeaboo pandering in this game is so pathetic.
Well, technically it's otaku pandering. As if Japan cares about the west amirite?

I wonder if this was intentional and another example of goons thinking they're funny, or horrible programing/forgotten placeholder.
Ah, I see they were inspired by the thrilling dialogue in Final Fantasy 8.

It's intentional.

There was a support conversation in 1st GBA game, technically the 2nd for GBA game for japs, that was exactly like this between the horse archer and the assassin character you get later on in the game. I have no idea if the conversation in the GBA fire emblem was by the original jap devs or the localizers. What also makes this fucking retarded is that the later support conversations continues on like the original C conversation happened. What should they should of done if they wanted to be meme loving fucks is to scrap the rest of the conversations entirely or added the original C conversation to the B conversation so you wouldn't lose the context.

Said GBA conversation:

Siveon

Bot
There was a support conversation in 1st GBA game, technically the 2nd for GBA game for japs, that was exactly like this between the horse archer and the assassin character you get later on in the game. I have no idea if the conversation in the GBA fire emblem was by the original jap devs or the localizers. What also makes this fucking retarded is that the later support conversations continues on like the original C conversation happened. What should they should of done if they wanted to be meme loving fucks is to scrap the rest of the conversations entirely or added the original C conversation to the B conversation so you wouldn't lose the context.

No there wasn't, on the description the guy was just messing with the rom. Jaffar even never had a support with Rath. Though he did say a bunch of nothing.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Jaffar/supports

/I played way too much Fire Emblem 7.

So, I guess they just wanted to refer to an old FE meme?

Incredible how the "lead writer"'s excuse is that 4chan mistranslated, as if that somehow justifies cutting the entire dialogue out.

That's just a shitty goon trying to damage control, and attempting to mine salt, they do shit like that a lot. On another note have you noticed that SA goons really, I mean really go out of their way that to state they don't care about something. Like when Lowtax made a fucking reddit account just to state 'he didn't care' to some subreddit that was talking about him, when just stating it on fucking twitter would of done the fucking job.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's intentional.

Said GBA conversation:

GBA one is not real. It's fanmade. He clicks on a character for the support who is not involved in it at all.

Wait. The NoA translator is a goon?

I think someone just called the translator a goon and people started repeating it. I haven't heard anything about it.

Wouldn't surprise me though.

Last edited:
Actaully I just assumed that goon wasn't even an nintendo employee at all, and just stated that he was just to say 'look at these cis-scum getting mad at me just because i said i was a writer of a shitty game'.

Although it is a safe assumption that treehouse is filled with goons that's because most of the nintendo translators have been goons for over a decade.

• Pokémon Diamond and Pearl has several references to Something Awful as a result of the translator, Nob Ogasawara, frequenting the forums under the pseudonym Douglas Dinsdale. For example, a female trainer with a Wooper is named "Roxy" after the name chosen for the main character of a Let's Play of Pokémon Crystal that decided to get rid of her Totodile because it was evil, and replaced it with a Wooper. Also, after you fight an Artist trainer, he tells you he's been inspired to paint a picture called "My Pokémon is Fight!", a reference to Zack Parson's book My Tank Is Fight!
    • The writer of said Let's Play became aware of this. His response? "Still one of the best things ever and I'm still grateful for/astonished by it"
    • The references are still there for Pokémon Black and White: In that Let's Play from Crystal, Roxy finds a Pikachu and names it Gesundheit. The only non-Unova Pokémon before the National Pokédex is a NPC Pikachu in Castelia City, more specifically in the Name Rater's house. The name? Gesundheit.
      • Nob Ogasawara has actually been part of the translation teams of the franchise since the beginning, but Diamond and Pearl was the first time he actually started putting memes into the translation.

Siveon

Bot
The hell is a "goon"? Isn't that like a criminal or a minion?

Last edited:
A user from SomethingAwful, basically they were talented jackasses, and now they're SJW jackasses that are talented at being manipulative. Anytime you've wondered 'why did x become SJWs?' or 'how did SJW get control of x?' nine times out ten it's because of a goon. I cannot stress this enough.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Anyway, on Hard Classic, there is very little room for error. I'd almost completely finished Chapter 7 (or was it 8), having defeated 16/19 enemies, but accidentally allowed my Songstress within range of the enemy leader. She was at full HP, and he killed her in one hit. Replaying battles because you moved a unit one square too far one time is a bit annoying, but it's better than playing on Normal because even GameFAQs posters are complaining that Normal is too easy.

I've always hated this aspect of the series. The way the games are designed, you are never supposed to allow any of your units to die. I remember reading a Q&A with the Awakening devs where they confirmed it.

It's dumb for story reasons, which is bad enough. But even worse is that it pushes the combat in the direction of puzzle game design, which is really not the same thing as turn-based tactics.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I've always hated this aspect of the series. The way the games are designed, you are never supposed to allow any of your units to die. I remember reading a Q&A with the Awakening devs where they confirmed it.
I feel like this is a "new direction vs old direction of Fire Emblem" thing though - hell, the original Fire Emblem intentionally forced you to sacrifice 1 unit in the early game (many people did Jeigan if they knew what a Jeigan was at the time)

Eventually they realized none of their players apparently play that way tho and changed it.

Siveon

Bot
Sounds about right. The amount of characters in say, Sacred Stones, were so few compared to the rest of the series. I think it was in the 20s range, which is pretty small considering a full team is usually about 8. There were lot of clone characters in the first few games, with similar personalities with only slight changes. The most depressing ones were these characters you get in Genealogy (I think) if you didn't have certain characters make kids. As replacements they're essentially the same, except their stats are lower and they feel like they're dragging the team down because they're not special. At least that's what I remember when browsing the wiki.

---

Never knew there was a name for those types of characters. Though I suppose knowing about the Cain and Able archtype, it isn't exactly surprising.

Archibald

Arcane

It's dumb for story reasons, which is bad enough. But even worse is that it pushes the combat in the direction of puzzle game design, which is really not the same thing as turn-based tactics.

I think every player in every game tries not to get his guys killed?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

I think every player in every game tries not to get his guys killed?

Depends. I never mind sacrificing knights in FE games for example. There are very rare missions where they're actually useful. Too slow, too low damage and their upgrade isn't as sexy as some other classes. Don't give two fucks about upgraded chars as well in later levels. And when i'm given a red cavalier and a green one, I usually care only about the one who gets the best first levels up.
I optimize shit.

ps : i'm talking about fe games before the gamecube one. Haven't played any after this one (including this one).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pfft, what kind of weak leadership is that. Pawns are there to be sacrificed.

In the old Fire Emblems, you pretty much had to. Literally in the case of FE1. It wouldn't let you proceed in the campaign without sacrificing a unit during the introduction. To teach the player the maxim you have just expressed.

In Fire Emblem 4 the individual chapters were so huge and time consuming that restarting to save a single unit was almost unthinkable, representing the loss of entire days of game play.

But, much like players forging ahead without the sword in Zelda classic, gamers embrace emergent challenges. Too many people didn't want to concede that the artificial intelligence could scratch them.

Zetor

Arcane
The FE games I palyed so far (6, 7) cultivate a very cautious playstyle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Relying on metagame knowledge to avoid complete bullshit like FE6's reinforcements that spawn and attack on the enemy turn is not good, however.

Speaking of which, has anyone here played Conquest? Is it gud, even (especially) on a blind playthrough?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm starting to sort of (but not really; occasional annoyance is preferable to the game being too easy) regret choosing Classic this time around (playing on Hard). I'd nearly fought off an invasion of largely higher-leveled enemies, but the enemy leader was on a flying mount and had shitloads of attack power. My attention flagged for a moment, so the leader flew right on over and one-hit my Songstress, who was at full HP. That's the second time I've had this exact thing happen near the end of a battle. I'd used a (permanent) +5 HP item on her a while back due to just these sorts of scenarios. She hasn't gained a single hit point naturally for 9-10 levels.

What's really annoying is that everything was pretty much easy street up until that very moment, although I suppose I still had to think, plan, and be careful, so I can't complain too much.

I'm going to turn off battle animations to save time when replaying battles.

Also, after a year off from playing any, I forgot how cancerous Japanese portable games have become. The wireless/Internet feature insinuation has become yet more integral to what could otherwise easily be single-player games. In FE: Fates, the cancer comes in the form of having to visit and fight in other players' castles in order to gain resources, inherit extra skills, and earn a long list of substantial rewards.

Said castle, by the way, is the most ludicrously implemented player stronghold in my recent memory. This is how you get your stronghold: An evil sword, which is being psychically controlled by Emperor Palpatine, yanks you down into a chasm after a battle—but a girl in your troupe leaps in after you, transforms into a cute cat-sized dragon, and then teleports the both of you into another dimension which is apparently tailor-made for building your own perfectly square castle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom