Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

_

We should return to the Court as quickly as possible. We must catch up on everything we've missed and try to put the perpetrator of our kidnapping off balance.

I propose 1D:

Approach the palace with as much subtlety as we can muster, disguised if we can, and definitely avoiding the entrance through which we were kidnapped (we know the guards there were bought for sure. If guard rotation is a thing, avoid whichever places those guards are likely to be posted at right now). Return to the Emperor and inform him of what happened, but do not request for bodyguard or any such indiscreet thing. THEN waltz into the council chamber, not horribly discreetly but without much noise and accusatory pointing, either (so a fine line between 1A and 1B, perhaps?). Whoever flinches at your return, arrange it so that the daedric necklace is found in their chambers (perhaps utilizing our much-abused handmaiden, or someone else), then point them out to the Emperor.

If that is too much, then do 1A. This is a good time to be bold, I think. We must steal the advantage away from the conspirators.

Fun Fact: Molag Bal is the Daedra of rape.

I'm glad you are continuing this (although it makes me feel twice as lousy for fridging my thing).

It seems that Varys is onto the same thing as we are, judging by his reaction. I think we might be birds of a feather. This arguably makes him more dangerous than anyone else on the Council, but I doubt that he is responsible for our kidnapping.

My money is that the Domitian is plotting something, but I doubt that he would have us kidnapped either. After all, he was counting on us to pitch the idea to strengthen the VI Legion to the Emperor.

It is unlikely that the old functionary is plotting against us, but not impossible.

So this leaves the Breton, the Nord, and the usurer. The latter flinched, and his "short war" prediction is naive at best or subversive at worst - both could be explained by the fact that he is just a man of money. The Nord, I thought, had been suspicious in the past but at the moment she is talking sense.

Right now, the only person acting out of character is the Breton. Previous he seldom spoke but always had something to say. Now he is spouting rather hawkish rhetoric and arguing tactics against the Marshal. He really wants us to go ahead with the attack. Why?

1B) - because I don't see the point of rushing the attack. We will find out if Ulfric and Robert are allied or not in due time if we wait. If they are not, there is a good change that Robert will attack Windhelm and not Solitude first. If they are, running our cavalry into ambushes will cripple the fuck out of our defensive effort. Remember, the Stormcloaks are rather good at guerilla warfare and that sort of thing.

2B) - investigate Amaund Motierre, the Breton. Trying to find the Twins is stupid - if we were going to do that, we should have done it before coming to the palace. Now that our return has been made public, they are probably going to lay low. So lets go after the person acting most suspicious in this situation.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry, got away from the 'Dex for a while.

1B
2B - Amaund Motierre

Hmm. Let's not discount the possibility that Varys may have been involved all along and that the poisoning/kidnapping has been botched on purpose, in order to scare us into moving to High Rock. Although his proposition was interesting. Our previous encounter with the Emperor was rather...enlightening. Looks like he is indeed wary and probably not a very good fit to be Emperor for much longer. At the same time, it seems that much of our own influence and rank is due to his favor, so loyalty to Him is probably more important than loyalty to the Empire, at least at the moment.

1a - the Penitus Oculatus are basically Praetorian Guard AFAIK, whose primary loyalty lie with the Emperor. I'd rather have them watching over us than some two-bit mercenaries that can probably be bought as easily as the Nord.
2a - speaking of the Nord, I really doubt we will have a use for him again seeing as how he will at the very least have to leave the city for a while, and more likely will not bother working with us again.

hello friend

Arcane
1a
2b - This is a guy that can take some punishment if there is a reward. He might turn for money, he might turn under torture - but imprisonment doesn't compromise his loyalty. That's good to know. He doesn't know who we are, and we should keep it that way. But we should arrange for a safe and mildly comfortable (not so much as to reveal our means) place to lay low, make him indebted to us. Assure his loyalty by being an asset to him as he is to us. Might be a while until we can make use of his services again, but a promising asset shouldn't be thrown away on a whim.

Thanks hello friend and yes, eventually coming back to it is the plan (hopefully). I mean, I set up a contrived whodunnit scenario so the least I can do is see it through, right? Also I have been (very) slowly hacking the system to accommodate a cyberpunk setting in my spare time, so that might be something else for the future.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1a
2b - Not a lot of reliable and resourceful agents around. Would be a waste.

eventually coming back to it is the plan (hopefully).
If you do, tag me plz.

The world is full of inspiration. One could go outside and marvel at the works of God, curl up with a good book, or become infatuated with someone or something beautiful.

Or one could be inspired to continue writing their interactive political drama by some Ukrainian retard who posted the shittiest thing in the history of the internet.

Not that I am unhappy at the result, just confused how we got here.

Anyway, sweet stuff, a lot of important implications. Will post an analysis sometime later. I would probably wait for the choices before suggesting a course of action, though.

Last edited:
Since most of you guys are probably nor familiar with muh TES lore (although, let's be honest, everyone still played Skyrim, with or without tasteful rape mods) I will do my best to explain the significance of some of these items and we can hopefully brainstorm some sort of next move from there.

Depending on the thickness of the cloth, the dagger's sharpness might be very impressive indeed. Since this is a setting which allows for magic in rare cases, perhaps the opening in the hilt is for a soul stone, removed during storage for the same reason one would remove non-rechargeable batteries from an electronic device.

Nightshade, of which there are four dried stalks in this folder, is pretty peculiar. Poisons can be derived from it, thus it is associated with assassins and, specifically, the Dark Brotherhood. If I remember correctly, it is also used for the ritual of Black Sacrament.

What's a Dark Brotherhood? It is a cult of assassins that, besides taking money for its contracts, kills to appease its patron deity, Sithis, who is basically the representation of enthropy and misanthropy. He supposedly impregnated some bitch and we call her the Night Mother now.

What's a Black Sacrament? It is a ritual involving a prayer to the Night Mother in order to summon a member of the Dark Brotherhood (one of her "children") and hopefully initiate a contract for someone's death.

The first letter is a report or maybe a letter penned by some constable or minor lord. It could be quite old. It describes who I can only guess is an ex-assassin from the Dark Brotherhood and his encounter with the writer of the letter. I assume that "I'm a loose end, yes, but you will tie me off" is an indirect plea for death, as people who desert from the Dark Brotherhood are inevitably slain by other members for being loose ends. Of course, the lord's involvement with the ex-assassin means that he, too, is going to get fucked. The reference to the "father" is a reference to Sithis, for the Dark Bros believe Sithis to be their father just as Night Mother is supposedly their mother. Metaphysically speaking. Maybe.

Second letter is obviously a copy of an original, meaning that Amaund Motierre is keeping incriminating documents on, in this case, the Domitian. Could it be the same Domitian that sits on the Council and marshal's the Empire's legions? Probably, because we know he is up to no good. His secret plan to bolster a legion in the heart of Cyrodil always smelt like a coup d'etat in the making to me. We don't know any Quintus, though, although Domitian did mention a Legate QuintIUS recently, though these are slightly different names, not to mention common and it could be a coincidence. As to who was responsible for the tracery, it could very well have been Runa, which would make her Motierre's agent. Then again, that's just the only woman we can think of at the very moment.

The second letter is obviously written in code. It seems to speak of something that had been botched but the Domitian is sure that he can make it work with proper assets. The food metaphor makes me think of a poisoning, but it could be any kind of plan. An assassination, perhaps? Not good.

Finally, the third letter is a prayer to the Night Mother, seemingly the same one that would be used to perform the Black Sacrament:
"thus a sonn to his mothr a dottr to thi un hwo unto her gaev birth thus thi faithful rendr homaege for baptism of sins und hoep of deth do we raes our prayr thus thi blest rite nocturn" blah blah, we love killing dudes, lets pray about killing dudes, blah blah, also the night mother is our actual mother or whatever

"of thi unworthsome fashion an ymnaege with skul und rib und heart of mann about thi ymnaege let thaer twinkl candls dimm" refers to the way the Black Sacrament is arranged, with a human effigy made up of human heart and bones surrounded by a circle of candles.

"with a knief of steel let it nott be of iorn but let it be ensacrated by dolors leaf piers the heart of mann agen piers agen und agen piers the heart und whispr such prayr" you perform the black sacrament by piercing the heart with a steel dagger sanctified by "dolors leaf," nightshade perhaps? Maybe the steel dagger and the nightshade enclosed in the folder were both used during the ritual of black sacrament.

"mothr sweet sweet mothr mine send sweet sonn of thine unworthsome sinnr bles with fear und bles with blood" asks the Night Mother to send one of the assassins, her "children," to the speaker to shed some blood, basically.

"dreead fathr" once again refers to Sithis.

---

So, the way I see it, the first and third letters, as well as the nightshade and steel blade, seem to suggest that Amaund performed the Black Sacrament. If these documents belonged to anyone else, he could have had them traced like he did with the Domitian's letter, not taken and kept with him.

The second letter suggests that the Domitian is up to no good, and that AM has been spying on him.

The way I see it, we need to act immediately. AM knows his murderbox had been stolen. Imagine the urgency with which he will act from now on.

So, first of all, entrust the matter to the Penitus Oculatus. Hand over all evidence to them but keep the dagger in case we need to blackmail AM directly (which we really don't want to do if he can call the Dark Bros on us.) We are one man, they have an intelligence network which spans the Empire. Suggest to Maro that they try to find the village from the first letter by cross-referencing records. I'm sure murders and imprisonments in the civilized provinces are documented, and if not we will know that this occurred in a not-so-civilized province. Perhaps we might be able to find out the cause for AM's black sacrament by following the trail of these loose ends.

Also, let the Occulati take the boy's body back for examination. Perhaps our attempted poisoning might be connected to the AM/Domitian investigation and we kill two birds with one stone.

Meanwhile, talk to the Emperor but do not tell him of the conclusions we have drawn or emphasize either the Domitian or the AM as a threat. We could spook the old man into doing something stupid. Maro will probably filter any specifics he deems important anyway. Instead, take advantage of our relationship, built on honesty and trust, and ask him

"What do you think of Amaund Motierre, truly?"

and

"Why did you appoint Domitian as marshal?"

We need to know the Emperor's history with both people if we are to draw more conclusions.

Since we are mostly relegating tasks, we should concentrate on 1(d) and solve the counterfeit mystery for Vittelius in our own free time. We already set this thing up, might as well go through with it while we have the chance, or else we risk wasting all the time we spent on the matter so far.

MercantileInterest feel free to tell me if this is too broad in scope, so that I can trim this plan down to size.

Last edited:
It's a fine idea in theory but it is a bit like playing with fire. Involving yourself with a death cult leads exactly to the types of situations described in the first letter.

Besides, we've got the Emperor's assets for now, and I'm sure the Oculati discreetly disposed of a lot of political dissidents in their day.

I agree to keeping a copy of the instructions with us with the caveat that it gets stored in a safe cache somewhere where one would not immediately think to look. Our room was infiltrated too many times for us to keep incriminating materials on ourselves there. Same goes for the Molag Bal amulet, if we still have that.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a really cool idea, I'm just worrying about the practicalities because in my experience, being a paranoid bastard is the only way to survive in these types of games.

Uh oh.

I'm retarded and people should stop listening to me.

EDIT: I missed the parts where he is obviously lying. If this was a plot against Robert there would be no reason that he would be secretive about this. And hiring Tamriel-based assassins to kill a foreign king seems to easy.

We may be a king rat, but he is a court fucking jester.

This might work to our advantage yet. Let's see how this plays out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom