Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall of Peter Molyneux

theyre both shit; end of story

this is good for a laugh but now i have to do more important things, like make the missus a salad

and theres no such thing as a gaming journalism; only journalism

buzz

Arcane
I don't understand the "hurr it's Molyneux, what did you expect?" argument. Wasn't that the point of kickstarter campaigns, to take these people out of their miserable casual/AAA existence and put them back into designing great games?

This is what games inXile did before the Kickstarter:
- that stupid Bard's Tale new game turned into a Diablo clone/action game
- publishing online flash games to consoles
- CHOPLIFTER HD :dance:
- Hunted The Demon's Forge an action game so forgettable, I had to look up its name several times to write this sentence. Every pixel is smeared with brown shit, the story is retarded, the only thing that might give a bit of worth would be the coop. And this was released in 2011, one year before W2 campaign started.
Tim Cain worked on a MMO, some adventure game devs were doing hidden object games and click-fests and so on.

So yeah, fuck that noise. Very few people out of the kickstarter campaigns had some sort of legitimacy. Obsidian maybe, Jane Jensen if you only count Gray Matter, maybe Larian and DF if you enjoyed their genre-different products before and that's it.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only thing I got from this interview is that Molyneux is a crazy megalomaniac incapable of dealing with his own issues and John Walker is a cunt. Anything new?

Peter

Arcane
I really don't see why anyone on the Dex would be upset about this interview. Hack fraud dev gets what he's been asking for for 15 years, hack fraud journos get shit on for their unprofessionalism, cowardice, etc. once again. When everyone loses, Codex wins.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I guess the author was trying to do a Paxman-style "hardball" interview. There's not so much wrong with that in itself, but it really depends on your own stature as well. I don't know about this Walker guy, but if he's normally an easy interviewer, then I can see why people would say that he's just trying to take Molyneux down a notch because it's easy and people will sympathise. Writing out the "[Laughs]" is silly in any case.

I really don't see why anyone on the Dex would be upset about this interview. Hack fraud dev gets what he's been asking for for 15 years... [snip]

Not upset, but disappointed. I was expecting Molyneux to ask the interviewer if he still lives with his mother, how much he lifts, and if he is gay. Was also excited to hear his tips on nutrition, how to build bunkers, and how homo sapiens are the reason for all bad things in the universe. So yes. Disappointed.

Maybe J_C can get Molyneux on his show and continue on this.

drop the drugs.
it was horribly limited as a management game and utterly autistic as a creative tool.
It was the most creative management game ever and the movie maker was a nice little addon. Fact.
i wanted to recreate a scene from firefly, the one when niska is introduced.
1) limited number of puppets on stage, all i could place was 3 even if they had just to stand.
2) dresses couldn't be edited, you had to live with the stock, no mix and match.
3) shots were fixed.

garry's mod shits on its face all week long and it's not even game, has zero marketing, zero pretense and endless possibilities.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
drop the drugs.
it was horribly limited as a management game and utterly autistic as a creative tool.
It was the most creative management game ever and the movie maker was a nice little addon. Fact.
1) limited number of puppets on stage, all i could place was 3 even if they had just to stand.
2) dresses couldn't be edited, you had to live with the stock, no mix and match.
3) shots were fixed.

garry's mod shits on its face all week long and it's not even game, has zero marketing, zero pretense and endless possibilities.
Number 1 is true. Number 2: you could mod anything into the game, if you spent time on it. Number 3: If I recall correctly, you could also improve it with modding.

And who cares, it was just a fun add on to the main game, which was a unique management game. Go shoot your own movies if you want to make a movie, don't try to make it with a game. Jesus...

drop the drugs.
3) shots were fixed.

Number 1 is true. Number 2: you could mod anything into the game, if you spent time on it. Number 3: If I recall correctly, you could also improve it with modding.

And who cares, it was just a fun add on to the main game, which was a unique management game. Go shoot your own movies if you want to make a movie, don't try to make it with a game. Jesus...

every aspect of oblivion can be modded.
now come back and tell me oblivion is a great game because it can be modded.
i dare you. i double dare.

A movie maker tool included as one of many features of a bigger game is worse as a sandbox that's not even a game. Wow, that ... that's like really mindblowing, maen!
which would be valid if the movies had been a game too.
you call that a game? i don't, for its own good.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
which would be valid if the movies had been a game too.
the_movies.jpg

Well+then+that+s+the+law+part+of+the+degree+not+_6dd1e48e2f7e06b1efcad185ee3aa345.jpg

you call that a game? i don't, for its own good.

damn, back when i started reading the codex it was a place to have discussions with interesting people. times have surely changed.

FUDU

Arcane
Schafer, in a general response to the whole nightmare week for Molyneux, issued a statement on his most recent video blog.

“I'd like to send our support to our friend and fellow developer Peter Molyneux," Schafer began.

“In the last few weeks we've seen some extremely rough treatment of Peter on the Internet and from the games press, and I think it's really unfortunate and unfair and I don't think it's healthy.

“Obviously, things did not go as expected with his game, and because of that people are making some nasty accusations about Peter, and I can really relate to that. I'm not saying that developers like Peter and I shouldn't be held accountable for deadlines, I'm just saying the reaction to recent events, and the tone of their reaction, is really way out of proportion to the seriousness of the events themselves.

“The problems that Peter is having [with his game] are not unique to him, in fact they happen on many, if not most projects."

Neckbeard shitlords have to stick together.

Wonder if Schafer will also suffer shitstorm of internet wrath.

God I hope so. :bounce:

Last edited:

FUDU

Arcane
Agreed.

I think Molly truly believes MOST of the crap that comes out of his mouth.

Tim is just a straight up thieving, conman bastard, that doesn't care who he takes advantage of.

They're both slimy characters, for very different reasons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Schafer, in a general response to the whole nightmare week for Molyneux, issued a statement on his most recent video blog (above).

Above where?

For this low effort posting I have no choice but to merge

FUDU

Arcane
This from the king of low effort posting. :M

Sorry that I have polio, and that it is very difficult for me to type long posts.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Instead of acting like a victim you ought to be thankful this is the place everyone treats you like an equal.

FUDU

Arcane
Not trying to be a victim. Just thought thread might spur some good discussion on the subject about failed KS and devious devs. Apparently Infinitron didn't think so.

Destroyed the mic port on my computer, so I can't use my voice recognition software till I get it fixed.

Guess I'll go back to lurking until then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom