Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall of Peter Molyneux

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I don't get it. Is this further mockery?

Poe's law, man
This isn't the first time John has been called out for one of his blog entries and he's pissed on everybody instead of quietly stepping away and do some self-reflectling. It's not mockery, it's commentary on a critic putting his fingers on his ears and screaming "lalalalala I did nothing wrong" when faced with criticism himself. If this is his reaction now, imagine if he would have to face a similar interview as the one he did, with someone openly hostile and the same media impact as him.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
He's a joke of journalist. Never asks tough questions to people like Sarkessian or AAA, but because Peter has no power anymore, suddenly he has the balls? Fucking hypocrite.

He's also an anti-GG guy to the point of lying about everything. He lied that he got "thousands" of threats from GG hashtag. One quick search revealed he got... almost zero.

mondblut

Arcane
I think this thread confirms one thing: Codexers literarily give more of a fuck about sticking it to the SJWs than hating shitty video games and people scamming them of their money.

Somebody on the Codex actually got scammed of their money? LOL, ban the suckers, there is no place on the 'dex for gullible morons. Fools and their gold are soon parted, why the fuck should we care? GJ, Molineux.

SJWs, OTOH, is a threat for everyone who possesses at least one ball. Literally worse than ISIS. So yeah, I'd buy every shitty video game scammer a beer if it meant some SJWs getting terminal rectal cancer.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"Gaming "journalists"". Normal journalists are bad but gaming journalists? They are in their own league.
I don't see the need to pick on Peter, everyone show know his reputation by now and the only reason why they attack him is because he dont have a big AAA publisher shielding him. Heck back when he started the kickstarter most gaming journalists did not even bother to warn people.

He have made many games that i enjoy, some have interesting ideas that could have used more dev time but heck i liked them. BW, Fable 1, DK, pop. But i think Peter is the kind of guy that need a iron fist to decide for him. A big publisher that tells him what he can and can't do/say. One that is open for ideas but also dont wan't to go crazy.

But yeah people should not have backed godus in the first place.

mondblut

Arcane
He's a joke of journalist. Never asks tough questions to people like Sarkessian or AAA, but because Peter has no power anymore, suddenly he has the balls? Fucking hypocrite.

Exactly. I dare him to do such such an interview to "brianna" wu. Except we wouldn't hear a word of it over the loud sounds of slurping, and it won't be john wanker's cock that is being serviced.

A user named cat

N0Fuh.gif

Dexter

Arcane
I think this thread confirms one thing: Codexers literarily give more of a fuck about sticking it to the SJWs than hating shitty video games and people scamming them of their money.

Somebody on the Codex actually got scammed of their money? LOL, ban the suckers, there is no place on the 'dex for gullible morons. Fools and their gold are soon parted, why the fuck should we care? GJ, Molineux.
We can go back by time-travelling to 2012 and see for ourselves: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-aka-the-final-fall-of-peter-molyneux.78144/

I'm kind of in the middle on this and I don't like either party involved so eh... I don't regard "Interviews" like that as an inherently bad thing, just wish they were targetted better at company CEOs or PR people deliberately misleading and talking out of their ass, people like Randy Pitchfork deserved much worse: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/aliens-colonial-marines.70934/page-19#post-2495013 but largely got by or actual scam artists like Sarkeesian or fraudulent KickStarters that didn't deliver anything/took the money and ran: http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/201...sole-kills-project-reveals-refund-will-given/ but they wouldn't touch some of those, instead they have whatever this is: https://archive.today/ACDqB

As for Molyneux, he hasn't done much worthwhile in the last 10 years, arguably 15. I want the Molyneux back that brought us Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White. (Yeah, I actually liked it).

Heck even something like Black & White 2 or The Movies would be incline nowadays, it's that bad. Instead he's doing "experiments" about clicking on cube tiles and microtransaction and came up with that abomination.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If this is his reaction now, imagine if he would have to face a similar interview as the one he did, with someone openly hostile and the same media impact as him.
Kodex Kwestin Krew: An interview with John Walker

I didn't have the wherewithal to contact John Walker and inspired by the game journalists around these days, I couldn't be arsed to do the legwork. So I made the answers up, just like I did the questions. Hey I did one half, how hard can the other be?
I can only imagine John Walker would not answer most of these and he may even keep his composure and give a few good zingers, but that's not hard-hitting at all!

So, I didn't exactly ask John Walker anything, but here are his answers anyway!

KKK: Do you think you're a whiny prat?
JW: That's not a very-

KKK: Only for a guy with a name as cool as John Walker, you seem to have trouble living up to it.
JW: Yes, well coolness is not inclusi-

KKK: It's almost like you were bullied by gamers once in school and want to wreak vengeance retroactively.
JW: THAT IS NOT TRUE! In fact-

KKK: Why are you getting worked up then? Denial?
JW: If you would stop interrupting me I -

KKK: Dude, then I'd have to listen to you, why would I want to do that?
JW: *blocked*

KKK: :troll:
No, I couldn't be arsed to do proper satire either. Not worth the effort.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Before 2000 I knew Molyneux for his games: Syndicate, Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park. After 2000 I know him for his ridiculous hype: Black and White, Fable, The Movies, That fucking ludicrous E3 Kinect demo. He's been something of a punchline for a while now, but the gaming press still seemed reluctant to do so even during that stupid mobile app and Godus kickstarter. The interview is terrible though, like something people would accuse the Codex of doing. Two liars butting heads about lies.

Coming when this does by Walker it certainly seems like this is Gaming Journalism+ no longer about the hype, and what better way to demonstrate that than the slaying of the hype dragon himself, the walking talking E3 presentation. Reading way too much into it I guess.

Anyway RPS and Walker have always been and will continue to be shit, whereas Molyneux has produced some excellent games in his far removed past, so advantage Molyneux.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Except he's not low-hanging fruit. The only way he's that is if you base it on the fact he's so flagrant with his empty promises. It's like calling a serial killer an 'easy target' for criticism.

Now go back to playing Evolve~
He is low-hanging fruit because as has been mentioned previously he is independent now and has nobody backing him who would pull ads from RPS in retaliation. I am waiting for Walker to interview Levine in the same fashion. I am not holding my breath.

I guess some of you don't remember Grunker gem of an interview with 'ShitComposter' a while back.
I remember that and I also remember saying it was a fucking retarded way to conduct an interview.

Levine prays at the altar of feminism so John Walker would never do that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Walker needs to man up. I would say 'Keep sending your hate. It sustains me!'

no.
molyneux stopped making games with the end of bullfrog. he's been selling smoke for years now and he knows it. he knows it or he's sick. whichever is, i don't want people like that on my planet.
No. The Movies was a gud game.

drop the drugs.
it was horribly limited as a management game and utterly autistic as a creative tool.

Murk

Arcane
I feel dirty posting a PA comic, but I suppose it's relevant:

2453227-9864234985-21553.jpg

I have no personal beef against John Walker cuz I don't know who he is; Molyneaux on the other hand is a conman who deserves to get shat on. If people are only wisening up to him now that he's a vulnerable target then it just confirms the jackal like mentality of the gaming media. Oh well, fuck you Molynaeux.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All this drama (negativity around KS and highlighting the failures) makes me wonder how much of an impact it will have on current and future Kickstarters*...?

*New KS not established KS "brands" like HBS and Larian.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
no.
molyneux stopped making games with the end of bullfrog. he's been selling smoke for years now and he knows it. he knows it or he's sick. whichever is, i don't want people like that on my planet.
No. The Movies was a gud game.

drop the drugs.
it was horribly limited as a management game and utterly autistic as a creative tool.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Did u even play it (TM)?
The movie maker of course has its limits but it's still great and allows for a lot of creative decisions. Most movies you make are weird, sure, but the way creative decisions are tied to what you built and who you hired is great and it still is quite deep and has a lot of freedom. The only thing that's a bit disappointing is the small number of scenes that fit a particular situation you want to tell. But sometimes finding ways around that to still sorta make the movie you wanted is rewarding in itself.

The guy is a bit clueless btw, you can do more stuff than he did, but this way the resulting movie was at least lulzy. ^^
As a management sim it was very good in conveying the part of showbiz that's actually fun.
Great game, better than Theme Hospital imo.

Seriously, I don't know why Molyneux gets so much hate. Then again I don't really care about if someone is honest all the time when making up my mind about him and I know that in that regard I'm different from most people I know.
The guy is interesting, either teached or inspired a shitload of designers in the industry and his games are rarely boring or soullless rehashes of old ideas. I couldn't care less if promised feature x was implemented in game y as long as game y is good or at least tries to do something new.

I don't know about Godus, and it seems like very shady business especially with the dumbing down and microtransactions for the mobile version, but I'll reserve my final verdict about that game til the release of the PC version. Ex-employees (maybe laid off?) are never a reliable source.
Fuck y'all, seriously. :outrage:

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's like judging the worth of a hitman. Did he get his target? Good enough. I don't know why people are balancing the two.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
That's like judging the worth of a hitman. Did he get his target? Good enough. I don't know why people are balancing the two.
It's the artist - critic dichotomy. One of them produces tangible or intangible pieces, the other lives off promoting himself through writing about other's. Expertise on the topic not required. See that there's very very few gamedevs becoming journalists, even the ones leaving the industry would rather be mentoring, teaching or lecturing than criticizing, because the critic on itself is futile, a piece of amusement for those who watch instead of do. The only exception is when the critic is geared towards consumer advice, but this guys are way past that.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
, unless it's consumer advice.

Even this is a piece of amusement given the current context.
It is but amusing clickbait, but at least with Kieron the amusement was smart and focused, or maybe I was less cynical. Then he jumped ship and is defined as *comic book writer* now, and a decent one from what I hear.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom