Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

TBS The Fall From Heaven Thread [Civ 4 mod] - 2016 Edition™

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Eyestabber, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Northstargender: ⚧ Barely Literate

Northstar
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Erebus in the Balance does indeed attempt to implement some balance changes, but their version of "Balance" HEAVILY favors warlike nations like the Clan of Embers and thus indirectly weakens relatively peaceful builder-civs like the Elohim, Kuriotates, and Ljsofar by doing far less to strengthen them... Great for aggressive, fast-paced gameplay, but if you have any kind of attachment to playing as the "good guys" (Kael, like the designers of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri had a bit of a soft spot for builders and pacifists, and created a game balance that gives them a fighting chance- indeed the Armageddon Counter itself was originally a kind of negative feedback for warmongering by harshly penalizing Evil civs) then you're better off with just More Naval AI...

Plus, the current modmod maintainer for EitB is kind of a jerk, unlike Kael, who was a complete gentleman and a good person- which I think reflects in his favorite civ being the Clan of Embers (violent brutes) and his favoring Evil warmongers in the game balance...

For a little context, Kael was such a good person and complete gentleman he rarely said an unkind word about anyone unless severely provoked, as I hear, and his "Donate" button for Fall From Heaven 2 actually leads to a donation page for UNICEF and a blurb about how making our world better would best honor his work.

The modmod maintainer for EitB, by contrast, gladly cusses out people he doesn't like, hints at how people ought to give him donation money, walked the fine edge between cheating and unconventional strategy in a couple of his PBEM's, hacked player passwords whenever he felt one was falling behind in PBEM turnaround time, and ignores any design suggestions for EitB he doesn't like.

My brief exposure to the modmod maintainer for EitB left a foul taste in my mouth (as foul as orcs must smell!) that I shall not soon forget, whereas Kael is the sort of person who left everyone he met with a sort of warm tingly feeling afterwards. Even now his "Donate" button for FFH2 leading to UNICEF continues to do good in the world long after he ceased developing his amazing game mod...

In short, EitB is kind of an acquired taste. It doesn't remain as true to FFH2's original spirit or lore as you might think, changes the game balance to unduly favor extremely aggressive tactics even more than in vanilla FFH2, and the modmod maintainer was still a jerk worth boycotting the work of, last I checked...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Lamprosgender: ⚧ Literate

Lampros
    Parrots:
    Are there versions of this mod for Civ 5 or 6?

^ Top  
  3. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    no, they suck too much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Eyestabbergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Which puts them on the same league as Civ 5/6 +M

^ Top  
  5. aitch-hatgender: ⚧ Barely Literate

aitch-hat
    Parrots:
    Great start, mate! Just wondering if you planned to finish off your posts? I'd love to see your exploration of AoE and MoM.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. exegender: ⚧ Savant

exe
    Parrots:
    People have been saying Civ6 is worse than 5 and also unfixable, whats the big difference between 5 and 6?

^ Top  
  7. flyingjohngender: ⚧ Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Ai is worse at combat and agendas make diplomacy worse then ever.
    Eureka's force you down a narrow production/research path.
    Too little tech and unit variety.
    No balance whatever between free and dlc civs.
    Each new patch introduces new bugs that will get fixed several months later.
    Graphics look like mobile shit.
    No un/world congress.
    Mod tools suck and any full conversions are not happening anytime soon.

Everything else is better,but the game is not unfixable.If any competent 4x director made a expansion it could be a nice game.
    Unfortunetly the civ 6 team is both incompetent and has no imagination whatsoever,so expect the expansions to have useless features like watching your artifacts in a museum or just adding stuff they removed like un.

^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Can't find any better Civ4 thread so here goes.

There's a Nightdive sale on Steam, including the original Colonization. When I saw that I immediately got a boner. SMC is easily in my TOP10 games ever. I played it to death tho and I know Firaxis made a total conversion mod for Civ4. I seem to remember I tried it on release but hated it. I'll be fucked tho if I remember why. I think the general consensus was pretty bad at that time too.

Anyone played it? Do you remember what was wrong with the mod? Has it gotten better over the years? Is it worth playing now or do I really have to stick to the original?

Oh and I don't suppose there are any rumors about Firaxis trying to have another go at the formula?

^ Top  
  9. aitch-hatgender: ⚧ Barely Literate

aitch-hat
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)