Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Failure of the Adventure Game Renaissance

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Chains of Satinav is not as good as Memoria but it's good, but yes the Dark Eye games are definitely not kid friendly.
However in my opinion Deponia like most of their other games (The Whispered world, Night of the rabbit, Anna's quest, Edna & Harvey : The breakout) is kid friendly, maybe some trash joke here and there but that's all, it's a humorous game, nothing comparable with the darkness of Chains of Satinav and Memoria.

Boleskine

Arcane
As a follow-up to a short discussion in another thread, behold IGN's Hello Neighbor review.

The later two acts felt better from a stealth standpoint thanks to more room to maneuver, but they featured some of the most bizarre and frustrating, “guess what I’m thinking” puzzles since the days of the ‘90s adventure game boom. In fact, they’re worse in that the combination of items and actions needed to progress often don’t make any logical sense whatsoever, which turns it into pure trial and error. Solving a puzzle usually didn’t give me a sense of satisfaction. It made me say, “THAT was the solution? How would anyone have ever made those connections?”

First adventure games were dead.
Then they were back!
Now they were all shit anyway.

:negative:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Even before that, Daedalic's bigger problem was that they were seemingly automatically dismissed as a foreign shovelware dev with "bad localization" (even though their localization was actually excellent). I think there are lots of adventure nostalgists out there who have bought every Wadjet Eye game but have no idea that Memoria is a modern masterpiece.

And they still look like a shovelware dev to a judgemental gamer browsing their titles on Steam. They have 12 Deponia things (including demos and soundtracks) and a bunch of lower priced stuff. The thumbnails just scream "casual". I suppose that's a problem for the whole genre.

I got Memoria on sale because you mentioned it. Nicely done. But I see what people mean about "moon logic" - some of these puzzles, you think you've figured it out (and you probably have) but you're not sure how to do it with the UI (or maybe you're on the wrong track). When you finally solve it you don't feel a sense of accomplishment, you just want to strangle the dev. Something only a hardcore adventure fan could love, I guess.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The Adventure Games Renaissance hasn't even *started* yet.

$540,000 (sans Kickstarter fees, which comes out to $500,000, plus whatever else they've raised) really isn't "budget." Budget would accurately describe a game like Primordia, which looks, sounds, and plays fantastic.

I like this quote - especially seeing as the initial budget for Primordia was literally the change I scraped from under my car seat (a car that made a cameo in Primordia, I might add).

Seeing people piss away vast sums of money on games I wouldn't even deign to wipe my boot with is indeed a crying shame haha.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This shit will never die.

Quoted for truth. It already died a mainstream death almost 20 years ago. But it still lives on a smaller scale. Honestly, it's better there. If adventure games went mainstream again, they'd find a way to really, really, really fuck them up.

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom