Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Ah, I still remember that skeleton part. I too thought for a short bit the game was broken - AND those fuckers circled around me once. Helluva surprise THAT was. Dammit, now I want to play that again! Wonder if I still have it installed...

I did run into someone once who told me they were working on a remake of EotB2 for the NWN2 engine - dunno what became of it, but I'd sure as hell play it.

Also, don't let that halfling into your party. Lousy little fucker steals your shit.

hicksman

Liturgist
ahh i loved EOB2. I've played it 2x all the way up to the electic floor + ninja praying mantis room. Stopped me dead in my tracks.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Annie Carlson said:
Ah, I still remember that skeleton part. I too thought for a short bit the game was broken - AND those fuckers circled around me once. Helluva surprise THAT was. Dammit, now I want to play that again! Wonder if I still have it installed...

I did run into someone once who told me they were working on a remake of EotB2 for the NWN2 engine - dunno what became of it, but I'd sure as hell play it.

Also, don't let that halfling into your party. Lousy little fucker steals your shit.

Unfortunately I had already allowed Insal in my party, should have known he was gonna be a thief and steal my stuff. Actually I think he just stole some gold and food.....none of nice equipment.

I hope I run into that bastard again later on :x

Zomg

Arbiter
I remember getting clever and using Insal to open those locked keyless doors up in the monastery floors that were supposed to reward you for taking an otherwise useless thief along in the party. Then you get rid of him before resting by letting something kill him.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I remember that fucking thief! he stole the +5 longsword i had brought along from EOB1. That made me reload, and it was a good thing too, since I didn't find any sword as good as that in the entire game.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ah yes, old crpgs were great like that. I recall a couple of npc's in realms of arkania who did that. However if you had a high persuasion/charisma or a mind reading spell you could discern their true intentions.

Luzur

Good Sir
funny thing is theres a guy that doing a conversion of EoB1 to C64.

now thats a conversion i want to try out.

Andhaira

Arcane
I'm going to start playing this puppy again today with an evil party, as I never finished this back in the day. I want to know: Does alignment really matter?

No, alignment does not matter much at all. You can act evil if you want to and kill the goodies!

A thief is not important. A little extra loot, but nothing to write home about. And with only two front and two back places, you do not have the room. If you really want one, make a Dwarven Fighter/Thief.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
An elven mage/thief is also a good character. He will be one level behind in spellcasting, but will have slightly more hitpoints and better thac0 than a pure mage.

Andhaira

Arcane
Here's the party I'm considering:

Fighter
Ranger
Mage/Cleric
Mage

I would like to have a fighter mage in the back lines but they can't attack with melee so its pointless.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Just don't let that asshole halfling in your party, HE WILL STEAL YOUR SHIT! It's been like 15 years since I first encountered that jackhole and I'm STILL angry about it.

Andhaira

Arcane
lol I remember that halfling thief from a playthrough. I thought it was pretty cool though. :)

DaveO

Erudite
You might have an advantage versus Hold Person cast by the clerics of Darkmoon. I'll freely admit that I never tried an evil party, but I don't see any advantage or disadvantage for a good or evil party.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good old AD&D.

I was going to go with whatever I felt like, but I'm still curious what party you guys favor and if there's anything I should know before I take just any random party. These old games can be tricky that way.

Biased from my Icewind Dale Heart of Fury playthrough, I was going for:

1 Human Paladin
1 Dwarven Fighter/Thief
1 Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger
1 Elf Fighter/Mage

Now, question is, do we gain enough XP in EoB 1 and 2 to make these multiclasses viable? Other question, oldschool AD&D has rules that say non-humans can't exceed certain levels. Will we hit this level-barrier in EoB 1/2 (3?)?

ElectricOtter

Dunno about races, but I suggest

1. Fighter
2. Thief
3. Cleric (maybe dual-class)
4. Mage/Fighter (focus more on mage than fighter)

Also, Dwarfs=Good clerics.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Im not sure but i remember playing (and finishing) EOB2 without a thief. Anyway a full thief is a waste imho.
Ranger/cleric was an excellent combination in IWD but in EOB ?
Single classes are safer.
I only finished 2nd part of the trilogy - i can be wrong.

Zomg

Arbiter
Doing an EoB run is such a bummer because you finish Darkmoon and you're like, man, I guess I'll import to 3 and you play for ten minutes and realize you will never bother finishing.

Do what I did the last time I played 1+2 - make four cleric/mages with whatever terrible stats they get on the first roll. Swap NPCs in for your shitbox starting characters as you get them until you're down to just one of your originals. Like 75% of the NPCs between EoB 1 and 2 are badass fighters with 18/whatever strength, and the small number of mages and especially clerics are mediocre or come really late in each game, therefore the four shots at a decent homemade cleric/mage. Multi-classing any other way is fairly useless because of the RT nature of the games and the fact that you have to hold books/holy symbols to cast shit at all (and nevermind thieves - completely useless as always). You can export four characters to Darkmoon and the EoB 1 joinable PCs export normally.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I made a google search on this topic and found this post:

I've played EOB1 before,but I'm replaying it just so I can beef up my party for part 2 (and probably part 3).I wasn't satisfied with my party though (2 fighters,1 cleric,1 mage/thief) so I'm starting over.I'm thinking of

a) Human Paladin
Dwarf Fighter/Thief
Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric
Elf Fighter/Mage

lol

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dwarven Fighter
Human Paladin
Human Cleric
Human Mage

That's the best party right there if you're planning to go through all three games, and it fulfulls the minimum requirements needed of your party. Only one of the characters cannot gain the maximum level of 20 (the Dwarven Fighter) but he's capped at Level 18, so no worries about that. The level cap for EOB1 is Level 11 for all classes except Cleric, which is 10. For EOB2 it's Level 13.

BTW, you don't need the Paladin, but if (and that's a big if, I haven't found a way to confirm or deny this fact) he has Protection From Evil '10 permanently cast on himself, he pretty much becomes a no-brainer pick, as EOB doesn't play any differently whether you have a good or evil party. Besides, the "won't join a party with Evil-aligned characters" is only used when creating the characters, even if you create the most Evil party in all of Faerun, the Paladin NPC at the end of EOB3 will still join up with you.

With this party, you will need at least one Fighter class with maximum Strength (18/00) in order to overcome a puzzle in EOB3. As for the Thief-only doors in EOB2, use Insal the Quick to get through. Getting through those doors is not vital to complete the game, though.

Class-specific level restrictions only apply to EOB3, regardless of what the manuals for EOB1 and EOB2 tell you.

I advise against using Elven characters in EOB. They get none of their racial bonuses, but they do get the racial penalties of being immune to Raise Dead (which becomes a real problem in EOB2) and having somewhat annoying level caps in EOB3.

The Ranger bonus to two-handed fighting is not worth having him vulnerable in the front ranks. Also, he needs massive amounts of XP to gain levels.

Gnomes and Halflings are pretty much a waste of time if you plan to go through EOB3, as their level restrictions there are pathetic.

Zomg

Arbiter
Also, I recommend ditching all of the badass lewt you transfer from EoB1 in the forest in EoB2. There are some really dangerous and somewhat interesting set pieces near the beginning of EoB2 that just get wrecked by that stuff, and even the best crap in EoB2 is redundant if you have it. You can stick it in the vestibule and pick it up just before the endgame if you're really going to grind out EoB3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom