Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Saxon1974

Prophet
Relien said:
Saxon1974 said:
Good lord, didn't know about death traps where you cant finish the game. Any advice on how to avoid those? Im surprised anyone would make a design decision like that in a game.

I haven't finished EOB2 yet, but I'm roughly in a 12th level in the game (not counting the mini-levels/double-stairs) and I don't think this is a big issue. There was one such trap, but I was clearly warned beforehand.

Then there's certain situation where you have to choose 1 of 4 rooms and one of them traps you. No way to know in advance, but the room isn't bigger than 2x2 and there's a sign that tells you pretty clearly that it would be a good idea to reload.

Maybe it's also possible to fall through some pit into a (very) small room with no way out, I can't remember, but it's not like you suddenly find yourself in a dead end after an hour of dungeoning.

Unless, of course, you drop some critical item in a place which you can't return to. It shouldn't happen that you miss the item entirely, just don't drop anything "suspicious" randomly, have a stash of all the items you ever found somewhere and you'll be ok.

Also, the game can't be finished without a spellcaster. This is something that should be clearly stated before you roll your party but I didn't know about it. Luckily my party is rather conventional so I didn't have problems with that.

I'm much more annoyed by the ridiculous amount of respawning in certain places - something I don't remember from EOB1, at least not of this magnitude. If EOB3 is even worse in this regard then I'm not sure it's worth it.

Yep, I agree there are more respawns in this game than the first one.

Binary

Liturgist
Relien said:
Saxon1974 said:
Good lord, didn't know about death traps where you cant finish the game. Any advice on how to avoid those? Im surprised anyone would make a design decision like that in a game.

I haven't finished EOB2 yet, but I'm roughly in a 12th level in the game (not counting the mini-levels/double-stairs) and I don't think this is a big issue. There was one such trap, but I was clearly warned beforehand.

Then there's certain situation where you have to choose 1 of 4 rooms and one of them traps you. No way to know in advance, but the room isn't bigger than 2x2 and there's a sign that tells you pretty clearly that it would be a good idea to reload.

Maybe it's also possible to fall through some pit into a (very) small room with no way out, I can't remember, but it's not like you suddenly find yourself in a dead end after an hour of dungeoning.

There aren't such rooms on EoB3, and these features to me are absolutely game-breaking.

Relien said:
I'm much more annoyed by the ridiculous amount of respawning in certain places - something I don't remember from EOB1, at least not of this magnitude. If EOB3 is even worse in this regard then I'm not sure it's worth it.

Well the skeleton room in EoB2 is ludicrous - don't remember anything as bad on EoB3

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
EoB3 has a level with mud-like, equipment devouring (iirc) creatures which is an atrocity compared to anything in EoB2. Imo, of course.

Binary

Liturgist
Elwro said:
EoB3 has a level with mud-like, equipment devouring (iirc) creatures which is an atrocity compared to anything in EoB2. Imo, of course.

Spiritual Hammer, bounce bounce bounce, FTW?

Relien

Scholar
Elwro said:
Weren't such things [also] in EOB1? I think something ate my armor in one of the lower levels.

Binary

Liturgist
Relien said:
Elwro said:
Weren't such things [also] in EOB1? I think something ate my armor in one of the lower levels.

There were similar gelatinous cubes in the basement lvl 3 of the temple on EoB2, same level where the first cursed sword can be found - Hath Kull or something

Elwro

Arcane
Relien said:
Elwro said:
Yes, but there weren't dozens of them and they didn't respawn at an alarming rate.

Saxon1974

Prophet
On level 3 I believe there is a room full of skeletons. Well, I cant defeat them since it appears there must be about 50 of them. I run away and then pick them off individually.

What I am wondering is do they just keep respawning because I killed like 30 and they just keep coming.

When I leave the area or rest does it respawn them?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As far as I remember, skeletons will spawn on that level, but just small groups, so once you clear out that one room they're just a nuisance.

As I recall, skeletons will just keep spawning in that room if you let them. Basically, you need to rush in and try to kill them all in one go. If you rest or wait, more will just spawn. I believe there are some spellcasters (using Animate Dead to create skeletons?) in there, so you need to be a little careful.

Andhaira

Arcane
Being 7th level a room full of skellie should be no problem. Just have your mage(s) prep fireballs and your cleric(s)/Paladin(s) unleash turn undead.

if you have no mages or paladin or priest then you could be in trouble.

DaveO

Erudite
You can beat that room, but divide and conquer is your best approach. Get a few at a time and wipe them out. You'll need to use the attack and run strategy against Dran at the end.

Saxon1974

Prophet
DaveO said:
You can beat that room, but divide and conquer is your best approach. Get a few at a time and wipe them out. You'll need to use the attack and run strategy against Dran at the end.

That is what I have been trying to do, but to get them in small groups I have to run away but then when I go back there always more of them...

I like a good challenge but this seems neigh impossible.

And magic doesn't work hardly at all on them, I unleash fireballs, ice storms and magic missles on them and non seem to do much of anything.

As I said, you really need to rush in there and try to take them out with one pass. If I remember right, there's a couple places where its possible for them to loop around behind you if you're not paying attention. Of course, make sure that doesn't happen.

Have your priest (if you have one) turn undead often. This can break up the group so you're not fighting a full group at once, and you may even be able to cause all of them to turn and run. This gives you a chance to attack them from behind without them attacking back. If you can, push them back toward the room, and follow them. Since more can't spawn if there isn't room, this should help some.

If offensive spells aren't working, you may try buffs. I don't recall which spells are available, but stuff like Haste would probably help. Try to save a couple offensive spells for the spellcasters in the room, as you'll want to take them out as quickly as possible.

If you posted your party makeup, that may allow for better answers.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think they're supposed to be skeleton warriors, it fits with their insane magic resistance.
Just keep hitting them. You'll make it in the end. I did at least.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok I found another room just outside the main one that I was able to fight a few skeletons while using fireball (appears to have at least some effect) and turn undead to lessen the numbers and then after killing a couple was able to close the door and rest and repeat.

I was finally able to beat them this way. Thanks all for the suggestions....have to say it is nice to have a tough challenge in a game.

Saxon1974

Prophet
These games would be far better if they had more character custimazation, especially when leveling up. When you level its pretty much ignored other than you go up and get more hit points....

Still a good game, but would have like to see more options in developing the characters, maybe some skills you can put points into or something.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Insane Psychic said:
Hey, there was none of that in good ole' 2nd edition. Why should EotB have it?
I can't say I disagree though.

Yea that is a good point, but it just makes the level up process feel pretty meaningless.

Elwro

Arcane
But when your cleric levels up, the joy is immense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom