Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You are exactly right - while some doors can be lockpicked in EOB1, you'll always find the keys for them. In EOB2 there is the one door down in the catacombs, and the two (three?) doors up in the Cleric living quarters. In EOB3 there is a puzzle or two where a Thief can provide an alternate solution, but that's it. In short, the class is completely unnecessary.

Especially since there is no backstabbing in the EOB games.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You are exactly right - while some doors can be lockpicked in EOB1, you'll always find the keys for them.
No. There is shortage of one, afair, ruby key in the game. It's not really needed, as you can access one door on Dwarf levels from both sides, but if you opened it - you can't open another door with the pretty thingies and stuffies (including scroll of Flame Arrow?).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You're right, it's not really needed. In fact, I'm guessing it's intended. There's another place where there are three doors all leading to the same room, all requiring ruby keys IIRC. If you plan ahead and conserve your ruby keys, you'll unlock every room and score all the loot. But in 9 times out of 10 it's the room with the Flame Arrow scroll that's overlooked, and to be quite honest the Flame Arrow spell is kinda crap. It does 3D10 points of damage against one target. Fireball easily outclasses it, and it's one of two spells that's not imported into EOB2.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm replaying the old version of EOB1 with untweaked characters, but with the mapper by Joonas . Hand-mapping? Sure, was fun, but now I'm too old for this shit. Playing this with an automap is pure joy. Thanks very much for this wonderful tool!

Elwro

Arcane
Decided to experiment with jumping into the pits. Well, I jumped from level 3 down and then fucked myself up with the dwarven keys so that the stairway back up seems to be inaccessible. Too bad :D Decided to explore deeper, climbed down, and found out that actually jumping yet one level deeper (to level 6) at a certain point allowed procuring a vital key which opened a new area to me when I climbed back to level 5. (My level numbers may be a bit off - I'm now at the one with the dwarves.) Anyway, exploring this game in a way different from the ones I did it before is quite refreshing, especially since I seem to have forgotten everything about it.

And I was always so afraid of jumping into pits...

DemonKing

Arcane
If you like experimenting, try throwing a spear down a long corridor and then running after it - you can actually hit yourself in the back of the head!

Luzur

Good Sir
You are exactly right - while some doors can be lockpicked in EOB1, you'll always find the keys for them. In EOB2 there is the one door down in the catacombs, and the two (three?) doors up in the Cleric living quarters. In EOB3 there is a puzzle or two where a Thief can provide an alternate solution, but that's it. In short, the class is completely unnecessary.

Especially since there is no backstabbing in the EOB games.

you forget trhat gnome in EOB1, first night of sleep after rescuing him and he is off with your food and some gear.

Elwro

Arcane
Luzur: aren't you thinking of EOB2? Thought that was a kind of a trap for those who had their EOB1 habits.

In unrelated news, that level 6 key I was so proud to have used on level 5, while having given me access to equipment, blocked my progress on level 6 - there's a door I would've opened with it, but I won't. So the only option I could see was to use the stone portal. I'm now on level 9, having found stairs down to level 10. I don't remember when I've had so much fun exploring.

And hm, I deliberately chose a thief so I'd try lockpicking, but so far I have exactly 0 successful attempts throughout the whole game. Is this normal?

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur: aren't you thinking of EOB2? Thought that was a kind of a trap for those who had their EOB1 habits.

In unrelated news, that level 6 key I was so proud to have used on level 5, while having given me access to equipment, blocked my progress on level 6 - there's a door I would've opened with it, but I won't. So the only option I could see was to use the stone portal. I'm now on level 9, having found stairs down to level 10. I don't remember when I've had so much fun exploring.

And hm, I deliberately chose a thief so I'd try lockpicking, but so far I have exactly 0 successful attempts throughout the whole game. Is this normal?

hmm, yeah you are right, its EOB2, and that guy under Darkmoon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Elwro : The only times I even thought of trying to use lockpicks in EOB1 was on the first levels, and with it I could pick open all the doors that required the 'Silver Key', of which there were 3 at the start of the level.

If I had more time I could consult my map and notes and possibly nudge you in the proper direction of another dwarven key to help you along on Level 6, but that will have to wait until tomorrow at least.

I'm 95% certain that the chance of successfully picking a lock is utterly and completely random. I base this on the fact that I've tested having 18/00 STR and 3 STR characters try to force open doors, with both succeeding at a similar pace.

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks! I'll try to do my best on levels 9-10 ;)

edit: found Severius :smug:

There's at least one area I can't figure out. After I found Severius I went into a room in which you can press buttons which makes Magic Missiles fly around. The inscription says "Combination lock - be quick". Some floor tiles make a sound when I step on them. Thought all that was supposed to open the door out, but it just had a drow keyhole so I used one of the 2 Drow keys that I'd found. So, could anyone offer a hint as to the true purpose of the 'combination lock'?

Elwro

Arcane
Alright guys, I think I need a hint. Here's where I am: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1554329/eobhintplz.png It's level 7. Sorry for the bad screenshot; the area at the bottm is the one with the portals, and both doors there are closed with no way of opening them. I'm standing right where the skeleton lords were, after the 'No trespassing' sign, but the door next to them won't open too. I see no possibility of going back up. I explored all that I could from levels 8 and 9; it really seems I should be going down to level 10 - is this right? I can to it either via stairs, or via the portal from level 8.

Do you think there's some way back up or should I proceed down? My Mage cannot even cast 4 level spells yet.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
After I found Severius I went into a room in which you can press buttons which makes Magic Missiles fly around. The inscription says "Combination lock - be quick". Some floor tiles make a sound when I step on them. Thought all that was supposed to open the door out, but it just had a drow keyhole so I used one of the 2 Drow keys that I'd found. So, could anyone offer a hint as to the true purpose of the 'combination lock'?
Don't worry, it's a broken puzzle.

Alright guys, I think I need a hint.
Proceed down. Drow levels are a real maze, just descend, find another portal key and clear them later.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Alright, I consulted my EOB notes. I learned that I was wrong, you can pick open a door on Level 4. Namely, the door that most players waste a Dwarven Key on opening near the single-squared room surrounded by 4 doors. You can only pick it open from the south side, though. There are also 3 doors in a row on Level 5 that require Dwarven Keys, but the Thief can unlock all 3 of them

As for your situation, Elwro ... if you want to go back up, go to the room on Level 7 with all the portals and use the Stone Medallion that the dwarves gave you to get back to Level 4. You should be safe to go down to Level 10 (green walls) but getting to Level 11 means falling down a pit, and getting back will be tricky, so hold off jumping into any pits there.

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks, Unkillable Cat. I'm actually going the opposite way - I went through the portal on level 4 exactly because I found myself to be blocked from all directions on level 6, with no way to proceed. So, I went through the Level 4 portal and then explored the 7-9 levels, gaining Severious, finding 3 ways of going to level 10, but with no way to get back to level 6 apart from using the portal. Oh well. I guess I will try level 10 then. Thanks for the 'don't jump yet' suggestion!

Kirtai

Augur
ScummVM 1.6.0 just came out with support for the DOS versions of EoB 1&2. I haven't tried it yet but it may be of interest to those who would prefer it to DOSBox.

Baxter

Novice
I am currently re-playing EotB as we speak, and I have to admit it's almost like playing a brand new game. I can't believe how much of this game I have forgotten. I'm making my own maps too, for now. I'm only on level 4 of the dungeon, so I'm sure it's going to be a pain much later in the game.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
Hello, It's maybe a little late to come to the party, but I just found this thread yesterday, when searching for Eye of the Beholder stuff, so, hi! :)
I love the game and I used to edit hex codes and tried to substitute files ages ago, and some years ago I've helped the coder of the Amiga AGA port, with a translation and graphic revisions in the hope that along the way we could get the knowledge base and interest to make some actual modding.

It didn't come to pass, but in the meantime, I did a bunch of new portraits, a new wallset a reskin of the GUI and a new monster with animations (a mummy)

I have not the time to use them to create something new from scratch, and hey are the wrong size to fit in the game I'm currently designing, but if somebody is interested in inserting them in a mod of the game, maybe by editing one maze, or creating one new, please let me know, it's a pity for me to have them there gathering dust.

Some image of the stuff, in mockups can be found on this thread on the English Amiga Board:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4160...lder&page=6

and down here (the image resolution is 1:1, so it's tiny, sorry!
WIP_zpsfd94e2e3.png

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
am I blind on don't see difference? Bug fixes? Nothing in the readme say anything.
And still no EotB3 support.

ASE 0.99:
  • GOG-versions can be started from ASE. Also buttons for GOG-settings, manual and cluebook.
  • You can swap the order of the characters without ASE displaying an error.
  • Explored maps are now tied to save game slots.
  • There's a peek function in the map right click menu. You'll get to see a glimpse of the full map for a short time but the map stays unexplored.
  • Cluebook hints added for EotB2. Probably a million of typos, I used some OCR'd text file.
  • For debug purposes in the map right click menu: monsters can be weakened to 1 HP or set petrified.
EotB3 support won't be added to this project as the game uses a completely different engine.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
My memory seems to have betrayed me: there was a sprite in EoB 1 assets with the dwarf from the dwarwen levels rejoycing, that I thought was used in the final sequence and it's actually not.

Do you remember where it was? It wasn't in the normal game. Could have been in the game's demo, as a fake screenshot of the future game?

Do you have a video link for that? Youtube seems flooded with all sort of let's play but I can't find that.
Or even, a pointer to the original demo, I don't remember if it was on Amiga or Dos...

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom