Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Expanse (TV series) new syfy masterpyce

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by ghostdog, Jun 28, 2015.

1. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So your excuse is that you like to watch entertaining shit shows.. so I awarded you a shit.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Sure, I prefer entertaining shit shows to just shit shows, as opposed to you, it seems. :(

Would you mind listing some shows you find "non-shit", I would love to be enlightened by such an elite individual with superior taste... Who was able to shitpost over 6000 posts in like two years... :salute:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    0_o

Other than the edgy guy, there's isn't much good acting in Dark Matter. And the plot is kind of generic scifi usually. It's an okay show to watch but average in almost every respect. And yeah, I like Killjoys much more, but wouldn't say that it's better than The Expanse.

Miller is a great actor and went missing only like an episode ago. Amos is good, Naomi is decent, only Jim is bland - but that's also the kind of character he plays. Johnson is okay and his buddy is great, especially in the latest episode. In any case, you cannot claim that Dark Matter has better acting than The Expanse.

Also, looks like there are other criteria you care more about:

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Parrots:
    Not that I dislike The Expanse, but...
    Westworld?
    Or did you mean specifically sci-fi set in space / on spaceships and such?

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Sure I can, Junior.
    For once, DM doesn't have such horrible actors like the two I mentioned. Even the worst ones (5 & 6) doesn't come even close.

No he isn't. He's decent, but still overacting AF in this show. I think mostly due to shitty writing. Compared to epic 2-nd row fags like letsay Eddie Marsan, John Hawkes or Ben Mendelsohn, he’s totally bland as an actor.

He's absolutely shit and if you think he's "okay" you have no clue about decent acting, woman. Watch Jemaine Clement or Mackenzie Gray in Legion for job well done, despite short screen time and one-dimensional character.

And why do you think I'm giving all this ammunition to my "critics"?
    Well, because they can't win in a simple argument even with a guy who mentions chicks in his every review... :roll:

Why are most 'Dexers such humorless, stuck-up, boring fags?
    “BAAAWWW, what do you mean everything I like pretty much sux?” :cry:
    Well, it does. :?

16 pages about some shitty SF show and 50 posts in movies thread about why "Arrival" sucked (and WHY???), when there are plenty of some more interesting shows / movies.

:decline:

Get the fuck out. WW was irredeemable, absolute dogshit, written by a brain-dead retarded monkey.
    The only two good things about it were...

Show Spoiler
    Yeah, you guessed right! Shannon Woodward’s boobs. :)

• Edgy Edgy x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Summary: spekkio has an objectively better opinion than anyone else. Also, he's the one with humor while "most Dexers" aren't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    No, the summary is you seem to be liking The Expanse, but can’t really explain why. So you make your posts about me and not the show itself. Which sucks.

Let’s not forget that we talk about a show with tablet-controlled spaceships. And Earthlings giving full control over their nuclear arsenal to some thirldwordian outcast, because Jim Holden told them to do so. And some hardcore scientists / politicians being unable to kill some old grandma, because... Well, maybe because they weren’t smart enough to bug her office, where she meets with an epic haxxor she hired. And so on... :roll:

How about you write what’s so great about this show, huh?

Or maybe somebody actually has to re-roll with higher INT here? :lol:

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    :edgy:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Oh, now I know how you got your epic parrot score, dawg.
    Quality posting indeed.

:salute:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Such humor, much edginess. We're all very impressed spekkio.

I already told you that among Killjoys/Expanse/Dark Matter, DM has by far the worst acting and the most generic stories in my opinion. Not to mention the worst production values of the three shows. I like both The Expanse and Killjoys a lot, though they are completely different styles of scifi. Killjoys is more of a very well done mindless fun variety, while The Expanse has more of a realistic approach and deals with politics, etc. I guess The Expanse is close to what the Solar System may actually look like in 200 years - I like that, while Killjoys is much more removed from anything real.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Uneven - yes. But it doesn't have such horrible actors as the ones I mentioned before.

Agreed.

Its approach to technology and politics is very primitive, which I again decribed above. I dig low-level space travel, but some basic technological and political shit doesn't make sense. Which is shitty writing 101.

Same thing happened in "ohsoawesome and realistic" "The Americans" which I abandoned after first two episodes due to ITZ extreme stupidity.

Devs: "We want to make a show about spies during Cold War!"
    Audience: "Really? And what do you know about Cold War or spies in general?"
    Devs: "LOL, we've watched some Bond movies and this one with Pitt and Jolie being spy couple"

:roll:

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Like Star Trek? That's a big issue for you?

You're trying too hard. The outcast was already in contact with Lady Stark and it was her word that ultimately mattered, not so much Jim Holden. Considering that they had no way to nuke Eros without the help of Tycho Station - the alternative would have been billions of deaths for all they knew - giving those nukes away wasn't as implausible as you make it sound. Plus, they still deactivated most of them after they weren't used.

The grandma is a hardcore politician herself, in case you haven't noticed. :roll: Seriously, all your arguments are non-issues that you decided were somehow important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Same back at you dog.

BTW, there is no point into going into more details. Anyone with half a brain will read your posts and mark you as a retard, I really don't need to point that out with epic posts.

Talking with you and explaining stuff is same level of waste of time as if I would stop to talk to a religious nut on the street that is screaming "Devil is coming! End is nigh!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Tablets? No. Humans using them to control spaceships, instead of either:
    a) some more complex, quick and responsive input device (even a NES gamepad would do...),
    b) using AI to actually maneuver such complex machine like a spaceship (like both DM and KJ do...).

Which is shitty writing - no other spaceship in the entire multiverse could've used the "optical lock" or whathaveyou to guide the missiles except the Roci? Please. It's just basic "OMG, our lazors / radars don't work, what to do, oh Chosen One?". :roll:

You mean: she's supposed to be. Unfortunately, the writers are unable to make her one, 'cuz they know shit about politics. Plus she can't act for shit. Cue: the horribad monologue in some recent episode, where she tries to intimidate her enemy with "Imma gonna wreck your shit, Dawg" speech.

Or maybe I just have lower tolerance for bullshit than you do?

:roll:

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    You mean you can discuss for shit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GTFO and learn how to troll. :roll:
    I've seen 2017 newfags with much better performance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. praetor Arcane

praetor
    Parrots:
    iZombie... entertaining? seriously?! that's some serious :decline: of spekkio . that show is the epitome of lazy, formulaic writing, bad acting (even more enhanced by the very concept of the show. however hot she is, each ep shows another facet of how talentless she is as an actress. and the rest of the cast isn't much better), low production shovelware. i somehow got somewhere around the middle of season 2 before giving up, and even up until that point i was just using it as "background stuff that is on while i eat dinner and concentrate on food while talking with others"

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Parrots:
    It's fine, they kept the best one:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :shredder:

Sad fedora guy is gone (for now?). Hope we'll see more Anderson Dawes, since he's also played by a great actor, but the "main crew" of the Rocinante are getting a bit annoying.

Comparatively good and entertaining complex story/plot/setting, high production values, comparatively great actors (some that excel, many that are adequate for their roles, few bad ones), great looking space scenes and special effects, comparatively believable setting and plot without too many facepalm-worthy moments (which is becoming a rarity more and more) etc.

As soon as you say that "Dark Matter" has more to offer than the arguably best SciFi series people can see you're either trolling or retarded, since it's a low budget production whose every episode plays either in an enclosed space or some warehouse with explicitly bad actors and a retarded plot, setting and premise.

Or, as you put it on page 2 of this thread:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    ^
    s1e1-s1e4: :4/5:
    the rest: slowly moving into the :1/5: territory

As I wrote some posts ago, show declined hard after s1e4 and again during s2

• Edgy Edgy x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    We're not ever getting a realistic space show, spekkio, might as well give up now :negative:

The Expanse is probably as good as it gets, more's the pity.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. circ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    I gave Dark Matter another try, and had some quick fast forward moments through Killjoys.

Around the time DM pilot came out, I quickly assessed that it was amateurish, but after The Expanse and rewatching most of the first season of DM, I'm going to change my opinion.

Problem with The Expanse, or one of them, is that most of the characters have no emotional spectrum and no personality. They're just not very confident actors or good, and the writing doesn't help either. In the first few episodes this isn't so obvious because there's a large cast of better actors surrounding really bad actors. But pretty quickly, the worst actors team up and even Miller eventually loses influential co-players and has to carry scenes by himself, which doesn't go over well. And Thomas Jane can be really excellent, and he's not bad comparatively, but the bad writing doesn't help. Also I did finish the second season just because, and I got to the scene spekkio mentioned - UN whatever 'indian' woman giving a threatening speech to UN head honcho. It was some of the most laughable acting I've ever seen. This is supposed to be an intimidating woman supposedly, but she gives a stuttering speech with zero confidence.

The writing in TE is another issue. Not that it would matter with the acting, but nothing in the characters lives seems like living. There are barely any smaller details that complete them - early on you have an obession with coffee, which is really shallowly made. Relationship between Holden and Naomi comes from nowhere. It's some helmet time and suddenly they jump each other. Most of the crew's time on the ship is spent in chairs discussing battle or standing discussing battle. There's no time for any personality to show through. Maybe lack of material from writing team or just plain more of the bad acting.

So anyway, Dark Matter. The sets are cheap as hell. In one episode they're on a spaceship, which is actually, and very obviously a sea vessel. Props are all over the place and give very little of a sci-fi feel. But the acting as I discovered is pretty solid. And the characters very quickly develop their own distinct multi-faceted personalities. The writing, apart from reasonably good dialogue, is a little disjointed though. It gets overly complicated in terms of character backrounds, without any real pay-off.

But Killjoys, compared to DM, seems to have a higher budget. But its acting isn't quite as good. Or much else. For instance, the main in Killjoys is some woman who I seem to remember is the most assassin assassin in the whole galaxy. Well, Dark Matter may be a cheap show, but its female, and male for that matter, characters move like they can kick ass. Some of that is due to good choreography and a DP who knows how to shoot action. The lead in Killjoys though, moves like a drunk clown in quicksand - and no amount of good camerawork or choreography could fix that. That isn't helped by how the non-action character building moments in KJ amount to cheesy melodrama written by someone who doesn't seem to know anything about people.

The Expanse - the best sci-fi on television? Not even close. I'll give it first prize for FX, but in every other area it fails badly.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    So Dark Matter is the best sci-fi on TV in your opinion?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. circ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    Of those three it has the best acting and least bad writing, sure. I only know of these three currently running, that are space based, maybe there are other choices?

I should also add some more critique of The Expanse. Belters are constantly whining about their lot in life. Except nothing really conveys that on-screen. It's all exposition, meanwhile you see someone not even remotely convincing covered in machine oil crying about food or water. 100,000 belters got turned to bluegoo on Eros. K. Didn't really care.

Meanwhile, Dark Matter crew are eating dried rations and you can tell they're not happy, workers look a little bit destitute. You know, acting.

Sorry, but the more I think about your golden cheeseburger, the worse it seems.

edit: oh and also, it doesn't have any humor really. It's tense, forced humor unlike DM which flows naturally. Whole show atmospherically feels clinically dark - not the least bit grim.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 4
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. I'm With Her Metro for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Dark Matter is an okay show with an noticeably low budget and pedestrian writing. The plot is paper thin shallow and uninteresting. The acting is... serviceable. It sort of gives off a Firefly vibe but doesn't come anywhere close. To claim the acting on Dark Matter is better than the acting on the Expanse, however, is laughable.

Edit: Trying to think of whose performance on Dark Matter is praiseworthy and I'm coming up blank. The main crew are all stereotypical and one-dimensional. There's hot bossy girl. The swarmy cowboy. I'm just trying to do good ex-cop. Brainy teen girl. Asian samurai dude who is fucking textbook Asian samurai dude. And the android is a near carbon copy of Data from TNG. The supporting cast get little screen time and are mediocre at best and dire at worst (lol Will Wheaton as a convincing bad guy).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Because it's a different and more serious kind of show, compared to DM and Killjoys?

Why is it that so much of the criticism of The Expanse comes across as forced nitpicking about non-issues?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. I'm With Her Metro for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Dark Matter is what you get when you make a show about that annoying Martian marine unit on Expanse.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)