Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Modron

Arcane
More like the glass is only half broken and the shards do not look realistic enough.

Angthoron

Arcane
Have faith bro's

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could pop some scary moles
I know they like to hide in holes
Eating naysayers like you

But I've got to think twice
Before I post on Codex, yay
I know of all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to post about games I adore
And when that love comes down
With such devotion
Well it takes a strong man baby
To hype up games but be no whore

'Cause I gotta have faith
I've got to have faith
Because I've got to have faith
Faith
Faith
I've got to have faith
Faith
Faith

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Have faith bro's

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could pop some scary moles
I know they like to hide in holes
Eating naysayers like you

But I've got to think twice
Before I post on Codex, yay
I know of all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to post about games I adore
And when that love comes down
With such devotion
Well it takes a strong man baby
To hype up games but be no whore

'Cause I gotta have faith
I've got to have faith
Because I've got to have faith
Faith
Faith
I've got to have faith
Faith
Faith

Good song, bro. Sing it again.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game has been delayed. I wonder why :|. At least I can make Day 1 preorder and have some cheat awesome items.

The Evil Within will now terrify players right in the thick of Halloween season – releasing on October 21st in North America, October 23rd in Australia, and throughout Europe on October 24th, 2014. With your pre-order of the game, you’ll receive The Fighting Chance Pack, which includes:

• Medical Kit – A vital health enhancement to enable Sebastian to fight on.
  • Green Gel – Used to upgrade Sebastian’s attributes.
  • Double Barrel Shotgun and Three Shells – A larger and more formidable shotgun than the regular shotgun, it’s useful for tight situations with multiple encroaching enemies.
  • An Incendiary Agony Bolt – Capable of showering nearby enemies with damaging fire sparks.
  • A Poison Agony Bolt – Will draw enemies towards it and poison them, allowing Sebastian time for a quick escape.

Dr Tomo

Learned
:necro:

Well, there is now game play for everyone to judge and I call on Daedalos to see if your opinion has now changed. Game seems to have a Resident Evil vibe to it and doesn't look terrible in my opinion, but then again I only played the first one. Is this game still coming out for the pc or have they abandoned the platform? I know it is being headed by the Japanese who has beef with pc's gaming for some reason.

Machocruz

Arcane
If we're going to keep doing the 30 year old white male protagonist in these 3rd person games, can we at least get a blonde or ginger or sake of variety?

Why does the GUI look like something that belongs in Minority Report instead of whatever setting and time period this takes place in? AAA developers have a problem with making all their screen elements visually consistent with time period, theme, etc. I don't get it.

The stealth executions seem REALLY out of place in a horror game. Maybe I'm close minded.

Everything else is RE4 Redux, which isn't a problem in and of itself. But "a return to survival horror" this does not look like.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Dr Tomo

It's Bethesda published, so it has a PC release. The Japano has in that case no control over platform choices, he must simply follow his American creditor.

Just curious as I haven't seen it on the Steam PC upcoming section and it was taken off a while ago. So I take it this game is going to play more like RE4 which is a popamole (haven't played RE4 and will buy it if it is that good)?

Dr Tomo

Learned
:lol: 2:40 in your video Dr Tomo

shocking revelation

No, when he said it in the video it did not surprise me one bit and I did appreciate it has some small stuff that adds to the story like RE with files and etc. From watching the entire video this is what I understood:
  • Stuff is always randomized and nothing is really ever the same enemies placement, items, and etc
  • there is a hiding mechanic
  • some type of boss will just appear and fuck you up like nemesis
  • enemies can ruin your day quite easily
  • guy playing is a faggot and sucks at the game for some reason
If we're going to keep doing the 30 year old white male protagonist in these 3rd person games, can we at least get a blonde or ginger or sake of variety?

Why does the GUI look like something that belongs in Minority Report instead of whatever setting and time period this takes place in? AAA developers have a problem with making all their screen elements visually consistent with time period, theme, etc. I don't get it.

The stealth executions seem REALLY out of place in a horror game. Maybe I'm close minded.

Everything else is RE4 Redux, which isn't a problem in and of itself. But "a return to survival horror" this does not look like.

I really have no idea why you have this in the game, as one minute you are quietly taking an enemy out, next minute your running from a creature in the next room blast away with your revolver. I am assuming it is only when there are multiple enemies in a large area or to conserve ammo or possibly the Jap's just recently played AC franchise and wanted to add that into the game.

This plays nothing like RE4. Also, too atmospheric and story-driven.
Can you explain how so? Morgoth said it did play like RE 4 and you claim it doesn't and that it was atmospheric/story driven. I haven't played RE 4 yet and if is better then the previous RE games then I will definitely pick it up on Steam.

Machocruz

Arcane
RE4 is "better" in that it's more user friendly, but that's a by product of being more of a shooter than any of the games that came before. I personally think either the RE1 remake or RE2 on Gamecube with analog control are the peak of the series, all told. RE4 is one of the best third person shooters ever made though, all told. From a historical perspective, it's one of those essential games.

Dr Tomo

Learned
The Evil Within Trophies/Achievements revealed

Bethesda has gone ahead and given all you completionists a heads up by posting the complete list of The Evil Within's Achievements/Trophies. They way they did it was actually quite entertaining also.

Simply head to the completionist guide and complete the puzzle by matching the icons on the left with the descriptions on the right. It's fitting given the puzzle-solving nature of The Evil Within. Upon solving the puzzle, you'll be rewarded with a digital wallpaper and the full completionist guide of Achievements and Trophies.

Lucky for those of you pressed for time, I've already gone ahead and solved it. So if you don't mind not owning the wallpaper, then just check out the list below.

What’s In The Box?!

Escape the Keeper beneath the catacombs

Old Flame

Finish off a shrieking beast

Weapon of Choice

Defeat the Sadist within the village

Two on Two

Take out both guardians before the church

The First, Not the Last

End a monstrosity in the underground garage

Arachnophobia

Outrun a gigantic threat in the city

Slither into Oblivion

Remove an invisible enemy from the equation.

One of the Many

Defeat the ultimate evil within

First Step into Darkness

Complete the game on Casual difficulty

Another Day on the Job

Complete the game on Survival difficulty

Master of Horror

Complete the game on Nightmare difficulty

Every Nook and Cranny

Collect every collectable in the game.

Master of Unlocking

Open up all the lockers in the save room

Hardbody

Fully upgrade all of Sebastian’s attributes.

My Best Friend

Completely upgrade one weapon.

The Power of Three

Completely upgrade three weapons.

Unstoppable Arsenal

Completely upgrade all weapons.

Why Can’t I Hold All This Ammo?

Upgrade all options in the Stock menu

Blow Up the Playing Field

Use a secret explosive weapon to kill 10 enemies. (Agony Bolt effects negate results)

Full House

Kill 5 enemies with each type of Agony Bolt

Silent Kill

Kill 5 enemies in a row with a sneak kill without being discovered

Burn, Baby, Burn!

Kill 5 enemies with a torch

...And the Corpses

Mount Kill 30 enemies

Krimson PD Fury

Kill 200 enemies

One Man Army

Kill 400 enemies

Ammo Conservationist

Kill 25 enemies with melee attacks

Bloody Bar Brawl

Sneak Kill an enemy after hitting them with a bottle

Drop It Like It’s Hot

Kill 3 living enemies with one drop of a match

The Quick and the Dead

Finish the game with a clear time of under 5:00:00.

It Is What It Is

Finish the game without upgrading any skills with green gel.

You Asked For It

Finish the game on 悪夢(AKUMU) mode

À la Corvo

Have they lost their minds? Better get past them without a fight. (Ch.2)

Knife Beats Chainsaw

His engine roars, but my knife is strong enough to take him out. (Ch.3)

Home is Where the Hospice is

That vision in the hospice... why here? Why now? (Ch. 4)

Not Part of the Job Description

The water’s rising, but we’ll get out of this without a scratch. (Ch. 5)

Everybody Gets One

Who wouldn’t reach out for a man clinging for his life? (Ch. 6)

I Don’t Have Time for This!

It won’t stay dead! Better only fight when I have to. (Ch. 7)

Item Management

This cave echoes like crazy. Better put the gun away and keep quiet. (Ch. 8)

Bathed in Flames

Enough running! I’ll burn her to the ground right here! (Ch. 10)

Not a Scratch on Her!

I’m not taking any chances, this bus can’t take much more damage. (Ch. 12)

Entry Level Electrician

I should get this whole generator panel running just in case. (Ch. 14)
*source

Achievements have been released for this title which might change some of the people's mind on a D1P.

The Evil Within, the survival horror game developed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks, will take you between 15-20 hours to complete depending on what difficulty setting and play style you choose.

The news comes from publisher Bethesda Softworks European PR Manager Alistar Hatch, who shared the estimate on his Twitter account.

Earlier this week Bethesda announced that The Evil Within will also offer a $20 DLC pass. The pass will give players access to three expansion, the first of which lets you play as The Keeper (above), one of the game's enemies, in a series of "sadistic," mission-based maps. The pass will also give players access to a two-part, story-driven expansion starring Juli Kidman, the mysterious partner of main character Sebastian Castellanos. Bethesda didn't say how much the DLC pieces will cost separately, but said that the pass is the best deal.

The Evil Within launches on October 14 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC.
*source
Looks like the game isn't that long, but how does it compare with the RE games in length?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Looks like the game isn't that long, but how does it compare with the RE games in length?

None were particularly long. 4 & 5 were the longest I believe. 15-20 hours sounds promising enough for a modern "AAA" game and a Resident Evil game, if these times are in fact accurate.
the achievements reveal a fair bit about the game. I'm intrigued but of course observe with some scepticism.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like we have another id-tech 5 quality next-gen system killer on our hands:

Bethesda warns: you should have 4GB of VRAM to play The Evil Within PC

Recommended PC System Specifications

64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 8
i7 with four plus cores
4GB RAM
50GB of hard drive space
GeForce GTX 670 or equivalent with 4GB of VRAM
High speed internet connection
Steam account and activation
It's worth noting that the 50GB of space required is for the PC install. When the installation is complete, the game will take up ~41GB of HDD space.

Meanwhile, we have install sizes for the console versions of the game:

Xbox One: 40GB HDD Space
PlayStation 4: 40GB HDD Space
PlayStation 3: 7GB HDD Space
Xbox 360: 7GB

2443257-the+evil+within+screenshot+(3)_1383569101.png

:lol:

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Just include texture quality settings, you fucking retards. This game doesn't even look pretty.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
lol

maybe slapping that amount of film grain on the screen is very hardware intensive?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just include texture quality settings, you fucking retards. This game doesn't even look pretty.

Yeah it looks incredibly bad, just look at those objects... it's RAGE and Popamolenstein all over again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom