Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Tehdagah

Arcane
Not gonna last long if you can't tell the difference between video game jargon and the normal English language.
"Survival horror" is a coined word created to sell products. Nothing more.

The survival elements are also counter-intuitive to the enemy layout and quite a few of the levels. There are a couple of RE4-esque mandatory combat sections where you're forced to fight dozens and dozens of enemies, in a game where you're usually lucky if you've got 18 bullets for your pistol and 8 shells for your shotgun. Not to mention a couple of really badly designed boss encounters, all of whom are either bullet sponges or have weaknesses that are never that well displayed or indicated, and all of whom have instant kill moves, some of which trigger when you're only on something like a third of your health, others being the only method of attack the enemy has.

The game's story also reminds me of what'd happen if Wes Craven tried to emulate David Lynch. Really badly.

http://youtu.be/L1GbZ0X_Gu8?t=6m25s

You can do just fine.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Here, I'll save you the trouble and give you the best part of the game:

749F419F887505FC68B67CEC6D39449D388151C2

Luzur

Good Sir
Well me and a friend finished this game yesterday on his PS4, and the only "hard" part i saw was that you most of the time dont get enough ammo for stuff (although when the game do throw ammo at you so you kinda feel "i got enough ammo now not to feel nervous", its ALWAYS one or two rooms before a boss battle, so you just end up back in the same spot as you where before the ammo rain..) and that the camera is shit and alot of times makes you run into enemies or traps since its all over the place in hectic battle.

I wasnt really impressed by it, but if you are a console player and into "horror" games you prob shit your pants with joy.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is another game I was tricked into playing thanks to 'independend gaming journalism'. But this one's a special for me, because this one has the most unbelievable Doritos-Score-(90% from big german mag 'gamepro')-to-personal-experience rate (utter shit that's not redeemable in any way) I ever encountered. I had to re-read the review twice to make sure we're talking about the same game.
The only thing about it that is faithful to original Resident Evils is the abyssmal camera and controls.
And what's it with this stupid habit of people tearing their diaries and leave pages all over the place?
Of course I couldn't be arsed to finish this gem. So I went to wikipedia and read the whole story. And guess what: By doing this, I spared myself the worst part of the whole game.

Branm

Learned
Hehe Leeched this and only managed to get to the 2nd lvl before wanting to tear me hair out....Thank god I didnt buy this crap!!

To be exact, I think I managed to get to the first forced battle sequence when I had to open some gate.... on the way to some mansion thingy ding

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dammit, I left this on my wishlist. Now down to $5 so I wasted another 20 minutes looking it up to see if it's worth my time, and apparently it is not. REMOVED

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What?
koala.png
You said it was terrible:

The Evil Within :1/5:

It looks nice, animations are great, gameplay is horrible. The fov, the illusion of low supplies, the ridiculous amount of instant deaths. Fuck this game. I just have a bad habit of finishing games I start. Go with Revelations. Good thing I didn't pay for this crap.

ferratilis

Magister
First Nier Automata, and now this shit. If this is how Microsoft will treat PC games from now on, without updating their Steam versions, it will be back to the high seas. And then you have dumbfucks who think Microsoft is some kind of savior of PC gaming. Cunts.

IPFT5UW.png

Ash

Arcane
First Nier Automata, and now this shit. If this is how Microsoft will treat PC games from now on, without updating their Steam versions, it will be back to the high seas. And then you have dumbfucks who think Microsoft is some kind of savior of PC gaming. Cunts

...who gives a shit? TEW is mediocre and doesn't deserve high effort ports. The good thing is a bad port will affect the review scores on steam, resulting in a more accurate rating of the game than it would otherwise get if it were a good port (because people have low standards and love their junk popamole -- especially on steam).

ferratilis

Magister
It's not about TEW, it's about Microsoft possibly starting a trend of treating Steam users as second class customers. "Come to game pass if you want the best experience." All while game prices are increasing. I really hope I'm wrong and they update these games on Steam. Otherwise, this gen will be even more bleak than it is. Subscription services are a bigger decline than DRM and exclusivity combined, no matter how good the games they offer are.

Also, TEW is great, eat a dick.
e96cd6bc551c71afeb03e789f820c239.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's bad for the consumer but since Microsoft is the one funding these patches, why shouldn't they receive the exclusive benefit? They're not paying money so Valve can benefit. Valve should fund their own patches if they don't like it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's bad for the consumer but since Microsoft is the one funding these patches, why shouldn't they receive the exclusive benefit? They're not paying money so Valve can benefit. Valve should fund their own patches if they don't like it.

Depends if they think good will will (heh) outweigh any gain from re-purchases.

TEW isn't exactly a classic, so I doubt anyone would be racing to buy it again or re-sub solely for TEW on gamepass.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I was in the mood for some kind of horror themed action game ala dead space or similar, so I sailed for TEW2. Briefly playing it seemed a little interesting but I could quickly see how stealth was going to trivialize encounters, and it felt a little low budget at the seams. I read on reddit that fanboys consider TEW1 not only superior as a game, but an actual "masterpiece" in comparison to soulless more commercial fare in TEW2. Well, if a redditor said it, it must be true, so I had to check it out.

Good lord this game suffers from an identity crisis, both thematically and game design wise. I have no idea why people put respect on Mikami's name, guy is a hack; this game is rehash of RE4 except way less fun because the arsenal is extremely limited, uninspired and the upgrades boring. The lack of a coherent identity really hurts the fear factor in the game. Mikami, being a hack, has failed to come up with anything original so has decided to just run through a smorgasbord of horror themed imagery and motifs, the end result is not confusing, but rather confused in itself and kills immersion as there is no world building to be immersed in. As a direct result, despite having gorgeous art and an engine suitable for a moody survival horror game, what we get instead is something surprisingly toothless, not scary nor even unsettling, despite trying like hell in every image space.

The game started off with a strong sense of promise, but I'm now at chapter 7 or 8 or something and it's really starting to wear out it's welcome. I might just drop it now and jump back in TEW2, which at least seems to allow for some fun in blasting geeks with assault rifles.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Good lord this game suffers from an identity crisis, both thematically and game design wise. I have no idea why people put respect on Mikami's name, guy is a hack;
AFAIK the game suffered a major development hell, originally it was supposed to become a coop-oriented character action in the vein of Mikami's previous games such as Vanquish and Godhand. After the cancellation Bethesda asked Mikami to use salvaged assets to make something "like RE4", and he did. The game was basically cobbled together from assets, originally made for a different game, hence the wildly incoherent setting with 19th century villages, modern day cities and scifi labs.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Good lord this game suffers from an identity crisis, both thematically and game design wise. I have no idea why people put respect on Mikami's name, guy is a hack;
AFAIK the game suffered a major development hell, originally it was supposed to become a coop-oriented character action in the vein of Mikami's previous games such as Vanquish and Godhand. After the cancellation Bethesda asked Mikami to use salvaged assets to make something "like RE4", and he did. The game was basically cobbled together from assets, originally made for a different game, hence the wildly incoherent setting with 19th century villages, modern day cities and scifi labs.

Well that makes a lot of sense and it might be sufficient for me to retract calling mikami a hack. I guess we'll see with ghostwire if he's got any juice left.

I have decided to replay this and I'm already regretting it. That boxhead boss fight in chapter 7 is one of the most annoying things I've ever fucking played. Since I forgot almost every single thing about this game I had to die multiple times from running out of ammo before I even figured out what the fuck I'm supposed to do there. It helps a lot that I also reached this part with almost no health left. And the thing that pisses me off the most - you start the fight with unskippable cutscene, and have a few more of these cutscenes during the fight too. There should be public hangings for developers that do this sort of crap. A lot of fanboys seem to shit on TEW2 for "lack of challenge". Well if "challenge" means game sets out to be as annoying as possible I'll take lack of challenge over that shit any day.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom