Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Athelas

Arcane
Truly a next-gen game.

Drakron

Arcane
How was SH incline over classic RE?

possibly_retarded.png

Its wrong actually, we just got confirmation.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
He is right about that though, the original release had a much better soundtrack. The Dualshock version just decided to mix in those Charlie Brown trumpet noises for some readon.

The original song that would play isn't exactly relaxing though.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd suggest Carmack maybe consider seppuku to atone, but he kinda already did that by leaving id.

Haha remember back before Rage was out when a bunch of people who didn't know much kept saying Bethesda should make their RPGs with idtech 5. Good thing Beth's a bit smarter than that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gamebryo is such a nice alternative, I agree.
It has a great set of mod tools.

Other than the occasional floating creature, I haven't had any problems-that-I-could-definitely-attribute-to-the-engine with Skryim.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Having completed the game now, I can say that it's 100 % a shitty lame-ass console-to-pc port. It's got one of the shittiest optimizations I've ever seen, and it stands in stark contrast to Alien Isolation which got released a few weeks earlier, that excelled in optimizations for the PC.

The FoV is totally screwed for "dat cinematic experience" and the black borders give me cancer. It was obviously to damage control the graphics of the game, because even on the PS4 and XBOX1 it has trouble maintaining 30 fps..

That said though, I really enjoyed the game. It HAS pretty good graphics and visuals, and the story is somewhat interesting, the challenges are .. well challenging and the boss fights and enemies are cool. The different areas are all varied and makes the game come alive. It feels very much like a Resident Evil 4 on crack-cocaine, and a much more twisted and sinister version of that game. Yes, it's very combat heavy, unfortunately, but so was Resident Evil 4, and that game was ace.

All in all, it's a known formula, but it kinda works out. I enjoyed my time playing through, and clocked in about 18-20 hours too..

A 6.5 / 10, because of the very poor optimization work. Would've been a 8/10+ if it was optimized like Alien Isolation was. Honestly, you would expect better from a publisher like Bethesda and a developer like Tango, to optimize the game. They are triple A companies.. for shame.

Is it worth buying? In it's current state, no. Maybe at a reduced price.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's remarkable how they tried to excuse the black borders as something that is used by the interface. I can barely remember seeing them serve any purpose, even though they could at least be very useful for shoving information off the space where you're actually supposed to see shit happening. But no, the health/ammo meters are on the corners of the viewport, the context action indicators are at the bottom of the viewport, and the "hint" windows take up like half the fucking screen. That excuse has to be Ubisoft-level stupid, it's just so bad...

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, is this game any good for a popamole? It got the usual retards complaining but most of the time that is good news, people are complaining about the lack of resources and trying to rambo it through and getting all butthurt. Is it worth to buy the unnoficial edition, at least?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's like Resident Evil 4 except I remember that being a lot more fun. I played up to a point where I had to run away from some weird lady who looks like she read the Kama Sutra a bit too much, then I gave up because it's just not that fun.

I've been meaning to play RE4 again instead of this, but I'm a little put off by the fact that last time I played the controls were completely fucked for keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First Bethesderp game in recent memory they offered a demo for... are sales THAT bad?

Tehdagah

Arcane
The game does seem to be pretty action-packed, there are even zombies with guns on it. Vehicle segments too.

Are RE fans mad already?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Tried it. Awful camera, and plays like a clunky AAA version of Amnesia. If you really like the shitty new RE games and Amnesia then I guess you'll like it?

Monad

Learned
Tried it. Awful camera, and plays like a clunky AAA version of Amnesia. If you really like the shitty new RE games and Amnesia then I guess you'll like it?

I don't see how it plays like Amnesia at all. It's like the guy wanted to make another RE4. It's ultimately not very good...at all.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I completed the game on PS4 one week ago.

In my opinion, this is a good game and a good survival horror. Its not perfect, it have flaws like the tech and the graphics used on it or the infamous black "cinematic" lines, but overall its a decent game. Forget all you knowledge about playing RE4,5,6. You're fucked in this game if you try to kill all the enemies cause you have few bullets for your weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom