Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Just noticed that those are the "recommended" requirements, rather than the lowest requirements. Maybe it will be playable on more than three computers after all.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
idTech 5 must die already. What a useless piece of shit.

Yeah fuck that piece of shit. I just bought a new card and it runs Crysis 3 at 40fps but runs Wolfenstein like shit. That engine also looks shit. I'm even ashamed of playing that piece of shit in front of my wife because even she can notice that game looks like shit and she questions why my new vidya card runs like shit.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Is the physical release of The Evil Within just going to basically be a download code in a box or will it actually have the game on disc?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is the physical release of The Evil Within just going to basically be a download code in a box or will it actually have the game on disc?
Since it's Bethesda it'll be discs (or a disc if they're really cheap) with Steam, so you may/probably will have to download something but not the entire thing.

For example, that idtech 5 Wolfenstein required a 10 gb patch with the disc version. :lol:

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The Evil Within Trophies/Achievements revealed

One Man Army

Kill 400 enemies

If I wanted to play a shooter-horror game I'd go play some RE4 or up game.

Machocruz

Arcane
The Evil Within Trophies/Achievements revealed

One Man Army

Kill 400 enemies

George-Takei-oh-my.jpg

Not surprising though. I knew this was going to be popamole business as usual. Stealth takedowns and Minority Report icons on screen are all you need to know that they do not get horror.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
Poor excuse for a piece of shit console port inbound. Minimum system reqs announced:

GPU: GTX 460 or an equivalent 1 GB VRAM card

CPU: i7 or an equivalent 4+ core processor

RAM: 4 GB

HDD: 50 GB

As the team noted, with this setup PC gamers won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and they’ll likely need to turn off some features, but they will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

Link.

"Yeah, piracy is really rampant on PC. That's the main reason our title on PC sold like horseshit" - Bethesda.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good thing Carmack left because idtech 5 is his biggest shame.

Astral Rag

Arcane
You can push The Evil Within beyond 30fps on PC

But doing so "is not recommended or supported".

You can push the PC version of The Evil Within beyond 30fps with the use of debug commands, publisher Bethesda has confirmed - but the publisher advised against doing so.

Developer Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms, Bethesda said in a forum post. And so the PC version locks to these settings automatically.

You will be able to alter them, but it seems that doing so may affect the game's performance in other areas.

"Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps and to utilize an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms," Bethesda said.

"The team has worked the last four years perfecting the game experience with these settings in mind. For PC players, we'll provide debug commands on how you can alter the frame-rate and aspect ratio, but these commands and changes are not recommended or supported and we suggest everyone play the game as it was designed and intended for the best experience."

Elsewhere, Bethesda confirmed that on PC you can disable the letterboxing featured in the game. But, again, it's not recommended.

"The letterboxing (a 2:35:1 aspect ratio) is used for gameplay purposes, as certain elements display in the black areas of the screen," Bethesda said.

"On PC, you can turn off the bars and force the game to render full-screen. However this option is not supported. We're keeping the ability to turn off bars as a console-only command that we will share at launch."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-09-you-can-push-the-evil-within-beyond-30fps-on-pc

That explanation. :lol:

Up next:

"30fps is plenty because the human eye can't see beyond 24fps anyway."

"It's not a fast-paced game, 30fps is more than enough."

"Almost all movies display at 24fps, 30fps feels much more cinematic than 60fps. Don't you like movies?"

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Developer Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms, Bethesda said in a forum post. And so the PC version locks to these settings automatically.

I assume the 2.35:1 aspect ratio was chosen to reduce the amount of screen that has to be rendered at once?

If so, that doesn't say much for the "next gen" consoles, does it?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I don't fucking believe Bestheda and Tango Gameworks. This is a travesty and an insult to pc gamers around the globe.

We will get another half-assed PC-port with 30 fps? AND some shitty letterboxed resolution, because it feelz more "cinematic?".. What the fuck. I don't fucking care.

Thanks for nothing, Shinji Mikami. I'm gonna pirate your game, so fuck you. You promised me a good pc version of this game, and you give me this?

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
I don't fucking believe Bestheda and Tango Gameworks. This is a travesty and an insult to pc gamers around the globe.

We will get another half-assed PC-port with 30 fps? AND some shitty letterboxed resolution, because it feelz more "cinematic?".. What the fuck. I don't fucking care.

Thanks for nothing, Shinji Mikami. I'm gonna pirate your game, so fuck you. You promised me a good pc version of this game, and you give me this?

Don't be surprised if 30 fps lock becomes a standard for multiplatform games.

Machocruz

Arcane
"30 fps is more cinematic" is the new "games were turn-based because of technological limitations." Because a film's look is solely dependent on framerate, and not other factors like lighting, depth-of-field, shutter angle, color grading. Obviously.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The combat looks like a dumbed-down version of RE4/5/6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom