Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
RE had a really immersive setting which was made even greater by the soundtrack and the style of the graphics (in particular I mean the pre-rendered environments), also the puzzles were weird and also contributed to the overall weird feeling of the game, as in stuff like "There is an engraving at the base of the maiden's statue in the shape of a hexagon", the puzzles were simple enough but did the trick, and the fact that you need the Ribbons and Typewriter to save-game added that sense of unique-ness, it's also true that horror doesn't work if the player can save-scum through any encounter.

When I think about old RE, I think of the feelings tracks like this evoke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JECkVzuq0

That special feel and design was completely and utterly lost when RE became full-3D action game, and it's a shame because it really was a special type of game.
OST in later RE is fine, but Akira Yamaoka just shit all over in terms of horror OST.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Fuck this shit, I just want him to make a successor to Vanquish. Preferably longer, with multiplayer/coop, and less QTEs.

OST in later RE is fine, but Akira Yamaoka just shit all over in terms of horror OST.

SH2 soundtrack is one of the few game soundtracks I can actually enjoy listening separately from the game. It's such a twisted beauty.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Much of the ambient scores in the early Resident Evils and Silent Hill games evoked a feeling of safety and loneliness. The idea of safety in a survival horror game seems counteractive, but that was exactly why games like RE and SH succeeded, because you had long periods of exploration without encountering any enemies and being forced to fight them - you could probably count the number of zombies you kill off in a single Resident Evil playthrough. And certainly the boss encounters and fights are the least memorable elements of the games, personally in Resident Evil I remember the locations, the surreal puzzles, and in Silent Hill what sticks in the mind is the town itself, the cult, that long boat ride to the hotel in SH2. It was the contrast that created the atmosphere of horror, the idea that if you just stayed in those safe locations you would be ok, but knowing that you had to press forward and be vulnerable to death. Now days it's a barrage of jump scares and monsters around every corner. There's a reason David Lynch's films are scarier than most "horror" films, and it's because they are not built around the framework of scaring the audience, but rather the horror is a part of the ever-present atmosphere of the whole - it lets the darkness creep into the mind of the viewer through their own imagination rather than trying so hard, so often to frighten them like a fucking carnival spook house.

UserNamer

Cipher
RE4 is an action masterpiece.

yeah I agree... there are idiots who criticize it because it "casualized" the resident evils, but I thought the original resident evil were shitty (but amusing) games to begin with while the fourth was just an overall masterpiece, silly as shit yet fun and with a nice mood\setting.

I think the stupid over the top plot worked by accident though, I wouldn't be surprised if capcom really took the plot seriously and the enjoyable humorous final result was just an accident, a fortunate turn of events

I never tried 5 and 6 because they trigger my "ultra shit game" radar

RE4 is very good indeed, easily one of the best console action games I've ever played. Good length, great pacing and variety, lots of memorable boss fights. I just wish it didn't have any QTE's, then it'd be perfect. RE5 is pretty much more of the same, but shorter and with somewhat more QTEs, plus shittier inventory system. It also had a mounted gun sequence. Still fun enough if you liked RE4 though. 6, however... I lasted in it for about an hour and it was a really painful experience. QTEs and/or cinematics every few steps, with no sign of it improving.

GeorgeWood

Educated
This game looks hot, and guess what, I bet my prized AMS#1 issue, that this game will sell like a hotcakes. Yes, you heard that folks. Like hotcakes through the floor.

This game already gives me heebie jeebies.

Mark my words, this will be the best realistic horror simulator since the original RE.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's bound to sell like hotcakes, because it has all the ingredients right:

1) Big name director
2) Big name engine (it's not UE3 so it makes it appear a bit set apart, more special. UE3 has become synonymous with cheap, easy-route me-too fodder for the masses)
3) Big name publisher that is willing to throw it's weight behind the game
4) Tactful, developer-inclusive marketing that fans prefer over detached bullshit marketing procedure
5) Trying to make the game stand out of the unwashed masses

Of course, that doesn't mean the game won't just turn out to be another boring trite POS. But after the excellent F:NV and Dishonored, I trust Bethesda as a publisher knows what it's doing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This game looks hot, and guess what, I bet my prized AMS#1 issue, that this game will sell like a hotcakes. Yes, you heard that folks. Like hotcakes through the floor.

This game already gives me heebie jeebies.

Mark my words, this will be the best realistic horror simulator since the original RE.

Pete please use your real account.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://evilwithin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1032#p1032

The reason for 'The Evil Within' being titled 'Psycho Break' in Japan:
Shinji said the reason for this is simply because it is easier for the Japanese to pronounce Psycho Break over the Evil Within. He also went on to say why he chose the two words 'psycho' and 'break'. He chose the first word 'psycho' because of the connection that word has to all of the psychological elements to the game. The reasoning behind the word 'break' is because the protagonist is overcoming horrible things, he is breaking through. Shinji didn´t give a reason for how the 'the Evil Within' name was formed but I think the name itself is a good explanation.

Will Sebastian break-down and will his psyche be affected by everything that is going on?
Shinji said that Sebastian is a strong character and that his personality will be strong enough to deal with everything that is going. He doesn´t want to have that type of character that is going to be traumatised and suffer psychological damage. Shinji also went on to say that in regard to horror films, he is not a big fan of these characters that scream, runaway and lose their minds. He said that when he sees these types of characters, he thinks "just die already!”. He doesn´t want to have any of these types of characters in his game.
The reporter made a joke about Julie being like this and Shinji said no way would she be like that, it would just disturb the rhythm of the game - we have seen too many characters like this before.

Will there be any babysitter-like missions? (I think this was covered previous, sorry)
Shinji said that there will be moments where characters have to work together in order to defeat enemies but what´s central to the game is that the player will be facing horrible things on their own.

Visual indications from Sebastian
- Sebastian will go into an alerted state when there are enemies nearby. On his own he will go down into a crouch-like position. When Sebastian is alone again, he will go back into his normal stance.

Lighting in the game
Shinji briefly talked about it and said that lighting is a crucial element in the game. The reporter was asking him to talk more about it and talk about the use of the lantern but Shinji said he doesn´t want to reveal any information about that yet. The reporter said jokingly 'I´m betting the lantern will go out during a bad time?' Shinji laughed and nodded his head, so I think that may have been a yes.

At the end of the interview the reporter asked:
Can you promise us that this game will make us pee our pants?
Shinji´s response: Yes!

Here are some things that the reporter noticed from the gameplay:
- There´s practically no interface. Word labels for objects fade in and out when you get close to them.
- There are not many sound effects and not much music. - Shinji did say that in regards to sound, it will be used to signal events and information. He also said how there will be enemies that we won´t be able to see but we will be able to hear them (I think this is like when you hear the Tank in L4D but you don´t know where it is).
- There is not much colour in this game
- One of the traps you can use is a Nail Bomb. The reporter said that you can set them behind doors and underneath windows.
- The game has a circular style menu for the inventory and weapons. You can also quick select items that have been assigned to the d-pad on the controller.
- The camera will focus in a little bit over the shoulder when you are aiming with your gun.
- The game is designed to be in cinematic widescreen and so, when you have the game set in normal 16:9 ratio, black bars will appear on the screen.

Automatic crouch? Alright. You need more shenanigans than that to knock off my interest.

"- There is not much colour in this game"

Skyway will be whining over this for months.

Machocruz

Arcane
Automatic crouch? Alright. You need more shenanigans than that to knock off my interest.

It doesn't read like retarded Tomb Raider auto crouch to be instantly behind chest walls because popamole is teh hard. Looks like it's just a tool to signify threat level without a HUD. I can live with that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
RE is to horror games like Elder Scrolls games are to RPGs.

It's not.

Malpercio

Arcane
re_back_and_now.png

i don't get it, if i'm in front of the door i should open and that's the only door in the corridor, from where did i come from

Quilty

Magister
That Sessler guy from the video Dexter posted is so high on speed it's embarrasing.

Yeah, what is it with that guy? He gets all red in the face trying to hype the game up more than the PR guy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That Sessler guy from the video Dexter posted is so high on speed it's embarrasing.
Yeah, what is it with that guy? He gets all red in the face trying to hype the game up more than the PR guy.
He also dared to say, right in front of Julian Gollop and Jake Solomon, that older games were turn-based only due technological limitations. Wish any of them had the freedom to tear him a new asshole for that...

You know you don't need fixed cameras for something to be scary... we'd never get anywhere if we just stuck to the same format constantly for years

Top video comment. Also, it's clearly popamole and not even worth pirating, I'm out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom