Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, fuck survival and horror in survival-horror games, all we need is to blow zombies brain with a shotgun.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This is all you'll ever need to know about this "survival"-horror

1366374101-the-evil-within-1.jpg

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's an East versus West kind of thing.

In the earlier Resident Evils, it had more of an eastern vibe in that you were running around tight corridors where braindead, handsy oafs were waiting for the next nubile (or strapping young) body to grope within their grubby mits and generally manhandle under gurgles and groans of depraved insanity and/or moonspeak. They were claustrophobic experiences, to simulate the thrill of subway molestation that we all know and love Japan for.

In the later games, it's about 'murica and their rampant expansionism and affect upon the world. Gone are the days of being some safe, small, backwater village in a European or African culture 'cause here's 'murica to blow your ugly mutant heads off and learn you some democracy, boy, with shotguns 'n' shit. Yeehaw. There's nothing more America than things exploding, with double the points for 'primitive' societies being the victim freedom-hating scum.

I think anyone denying the westernisation of Japan and the gradual decline of their culture need only look at the Resident Evil games for some prosper insight on the matter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I was sick of RE games after the second one. Of course this will sell five million copies.

Tehdagah

Arcane

In the earlier Resident Evils, it had more of an eastern vibe in that you were running around tight corridors where braindead, handsy oafs were waiting for the next nubile (or strapping young) body to grope within their grubby mits and generally manhandle under gurgles and groans of depraved insanity and/or moonspeak. They were claustrophobic experiences, to simulate the thrill of subway molestation that we all know and love Japan for.

In the later games, it's about 'murica and their rampant expansionism and affect upon the world. Gone are the days of being some safe, small, backwater village in a European or African culture 'cause here's 'murica to blow your ugly mutant heads off and learn you some democracy, boy, with shotguns 'n' shit. Yeehaw. There's nothing more America than things exploding, with double the points for 'primitive' societies being the victim freedom-hating scum.

I think anyone denying the westernisation of Japan and the gradual decline of their culture need only look at the Resident Evil games for some prosper insight on the matter.
Resident Evil was always westernized. White-americans protagonists, english dub (even in the japanese versions) and cut-scenes stolen from Hollywood.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Game development budgets include ferrari for each one of 100 producers - so why you bash them for needing to sell that much?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The sad truth is that only a very few people "earn" enough money in the gaming industry to afford Ferraris, and of those, most aren't even directly involved in actually developing the games.

Game developers are much more akin to the electricians, mechanics, woodworkers, metallurgists, and leatherworkers who create luxurious Rolls Royces and so on. The top execs and investors rake in the profits, the customers get the product, and the employees who are the lifeblood of the business earn $40,000-$120,000 yearly. I just Googled Rolls Royce's pay scale, the average salary for a worker is $70,000. That's plenty to live on and should be enough for any reasonable person, but it's nowhere close to being rich.

Well, I've just waxed political. I await the forum plutocrats (most of whom probably don't earn significantly more/less than I do) to quote this and repost "everything is shit" again.

FUCK CAPITALISM! ¡Viva la Starbucks/Macbook revolución!

Wait...are we seriously citing Resident Evil as an example of good game design? Seriously - even at the time, the only thing it had going for it was that it added a degree of console shooter novelty to the pre-existing survival horror subgenre of adventure games. Even the first Silent Hill was a major incline over Resident Evil, let alone SH2. It was always the Mortal Kombat of the genre - lulzy and garnering attention through its low-res gore effects, but with subpar gameplay mechanics.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I enjoyed the early RE games back in the day, but then I suppose I was a lot easier to please in the 1990s. We always had a family computer that was recent enough to play the latest PC games; however, I bought a PlayStation with my own money in 1999 so that I could play Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Resident Evil, Vagrant Story, Soul Reaver, Breath of Fire IV, Parasite Eve and so on. That was back when console games and PC games were largely two separate worlds, and also when good console games were still being made fairly frequently.

Now I think of it, I'd say Parasite Eve was a far better game and a far better horror game than any RE title, but my memory is very foggy.

lokus

Literate
Fuck this shit, early Resident Evil/Silent Hill was good because of static/fixed camera angle, true horror is impossible in full 3D rotatable camera coz the player can always see everything in a room except for unlit parts.

True horror games is not jumpscare shit, it's about limiting the vision of the player so the player's imagination fills in the blanks, that's creating a horror environment.

Dumbass Americans cannot handle real horror games, they want FREEDOM and full control of 3D camera.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dumbass Americans cannot handle real horror games, they want FREEDOM and full control of 3D camera.

It's not that simple. Blaine is spot on about console games and Pc games. And the sales numbers of Silent Hill and Resident Evil series in comparison. Console audience liked them very much. It's just that demography changed and we've got what we've got.

I didn't get into Parasite Eve due to the mitochondria stuff. Zombies are ok, but some DNA conspiracy isn't for me.

lokus

Literate
Well whatever, I read an article the other day that one of the biggest requests to Capcom America from fans was to bring the old RE games to Steam/wherever and update them for modern systems, but Capcom JP still haven't come round due to being a bunch of slanty-eyed PC-hating fagets.

I do remember that the most terrifying time I ever had playing a game was emulating Silent Hill 1, that part when you had to do this run/sprint from a house along the road to get to the school, you could hear the scraping along the ground and you knew it was those flying demon things, but you could see very far in-front of you due to the fog, and then you actually get into the school and discover there's no electricity and you've only got a flashlight that lights a few feet in-front of you.

Given I was like 15 at the time, but the horror atmosphere never subsided, Silent Hill is a masterpiece because every minute of the game keeps you on edge. I probably got a grey hair or two from it

Why can't we get shit like that anymore?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait...are we seriously citing Resident Evil as an example of good game design? Seriously - even at the time, the only thing it had going for it was that it added a degree of console shooter novelty to the pre-existing survival horror subgenre of adventure games. Even the first Silent Hill was a major incline over Resident Evil, let alone SH2. It was always the Mortal Kombat of the genre - lulzy and garnering attention through its low-res gore effects, but with subpar gameplay mechanics.
I don't see me claiming good design game anywhere in my post, Cat?

lokus

Literate
RE had a really immersive setting which was made even greater by the soundtrack and the style of the graphics (in particular I mean the pre-rendered environments), also the puzzles were weird and also contributed to the overall weird feeling of the game, as in stuff like "There is an engraving at the base of the maiden's statue in the shape of a hexagon", the puzzles were simple enough but did the trick, and the fact that you need the Ribbons and Typewriter to save-game added that sense of unique-ness, it's also true that horror doesn't work if the player can save-scum through any encounter.

When I think about old RE, I think of the feelings tracks like this evoke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JECkVzuq0

That special feel and design was completely and utterly lost when RE became full-3D action game, and it's a shame because it really was a special type of game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I stopped reading after this:

Shinji Mikami looks up from beneath the brim of his trademark cap, which sits low, shielding his eyes.

This isn't bedtime-story time, IGN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom