Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So I bought it, cus im a moron and a sucker for survival horror

P. decent start, but holy shit, the game is unoptimized shitter port.

I got a i7 4970k and a gtx 970. I should be able to run this game at 60 fps @ 1080p, with everything maxed.

But I can't.

Also, holy shit, this game flew under the radar. I barely noticed it released, and I was awaiting the game lol. No hype, no marketing.

What da fuark?

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

So is this "good" popamole, like Dead Space 1, Arkham games, Saints Row 2? I'm tired of indie for a while.
It's actually developed by glorious nippon developers, not some degenerate western studio, so 'popomole' isn't something which can be applied here.
What is this meme shit, the Japanese invented :popamole: http://www.mobygames.com/game/killswitch
edit: forgot about namco's even earlier on rail arcade cover shooter series http://www.mobygames.com/game/time-crisis
Japanese invented many things, but it was westerned developers who turned it into popamole banal shit (see gears of war).

flyingjohn

Arcane

I got a i7 4970k and a gtx 970. I should be able to run this game at 60 fps @ 1080p, with everything maxed.
There is your problem.Lower settings you don't need(like aliasing and ssao)until you get the desirable frame rate.
When you click ultra or max the game is expecting you to have 4k hardware.
And no,there isn't a huge graphical differences between high and max/ultra.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

There is your problem.Lower settings you don't need(like aliasing and ssao)until you get the desirable frame rate.
When you click ultra or max the game is expecting you to have 4k hardware.
And no,there isn't a huge graphical differences between high and max/ultra.

Yeah I realize, but it shouldn't be this way. If they game is optimized well, it should never be a problem for hardware like mine to run it maxed out at 1080p

This game reeks of bad optimization and sloppy coding, the first game was the same. They never learn it appears.

Look at shit like GTA 5, battlefield 1, witcher 3.. etc. AAA games that run on 10 year old potatoe toaster hardware at decent resolution and graphic settings. That's how you do it.

Buying 3000 $ top of the line hardware, just to be able to max 60 fps at 1080p or 1440p is a clear sign of shit optimization.
There's no question about it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game is not very optimised at the moment. Has some graphics and framerate issues even in the best PCs, needs a patch to fix it asap.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
A Jap-made PC game running like shit? Woah there!

I thought the first game was considered mediocre at best?

PrettyDeadman

First game was good, this one is even better.
I don't understand people who say its mediocre. What do they even mean? Like it's mediocre compared to what? To resident evil 6? To pubg? To shadow of war?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane

I don't care people who say its mediocre. What do they even mean? Like it's mediocre compared to what? To resident evil 6? To pubg? To shadow of war?

In comparison to RE4. EW (yes, ewwww) was a a very underwhelming title (zoomed in camera, god awful FOV). Honestly surprised to hear it got a sequel. I didn't pay for it so there's no real tendency for me to find worth in it. Honestly though, my biggest disappointment with it was how the game felt like it forced you to exhaust your ammo supply and only reinburse you with just enough to survive the next area (it kind of felt like a wave based shooter).

PrettyDeadman

I don't care people who say its mediocre. What do they even mean? Like it's mediocre compared to what? To resident evil 6? To pubg? To shadow of war?

In comparison to RE4. EW (yes, ewwww) was a a very underwhelming title (zoomed in camera, god awful FOV). Honestly surprised to hear it got a sequel. I didn't pay for it so there's no real tendency for me to find worth in it. Honestly though, my biggest disappointment with it was how the game felt like it forced you to exhaust your ammo supply and only reinburse you with just enough to survive the next area (it kind of felt like a wave based shooter).
Resident Evil is a game which came out 12 years ago. If it's the best game of its kind in 12 years - I'd say it's something more than just mediocre.

Ash

Arcane
So is this "good" popamole, like Dead Space 1, Arkham games, Saints Row 2? I'm tired of indie for a while.
It's actually developed by glorious nippon developers, not some degenerate western studio, so 'popomole' isn't something which can be applied here.
What is this meme shit, the Japanese invented :popamole: http://www.mobygames.com/game/killswitch
edit: forgot about namco's even earlier on rail arcade cover shooter series http://www.mobygames.com/game/time-crisis

"Namco Hometek Inc. is the U.S. consumer division of Namco, Ltd."

The credits are all 'mericans too. But yes, it still could have been the evil Japanese at corporate who ordered the decline be made with those specifications.
Kill.Switch really did not sell too well anyhow. Would have been forgotten if Epic MegaShitGames didn't rip it off.

Time Crisis is an arcade game (as in arcade machines), it's sort of exempt. The environment they're played in is incompatible with deep rules, complex control and extensive learning (which takes time). All arcade games are basically shit in comparison to the prestigious golden age (90s) video games designed for home consumption. Well not exactly shit, but the inherent nature of an arcade game prevents true greatness.
Furthermore, Time Crisis is extremely basic on rails cover shooting, however the design demands a little skill from the player, and it's to the point. It's not filled with filler, it's not piss easy, there's no dragged out awful story to waste your time. You put your coin in the machine, shoot the dudes for a couple minutes and you're done. Not comparable with shit 5-10 hour shooters originally designed for home consoles and PC that costs big bucks.

There's no such thing as "good" popamole. Popamole = bottom of the barrel brainless trash, or cover shooters (which are also typically low grade shit). Dead Space isn't popamole in either sense, it's a survival horror/action game in the vein of RE4. It's a genuinely worthy and competently put together game, though nothing special. The other games mentioned are not so much. They're actually popamole.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
There's no such thing as "good" popamole. Popamole = bottom of the barrel brainless trash, or cover shooters (which are also typically low grade shit).
I don't know, I consider Binary Domain and Vanquish to be good popamole games.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Just beaten it today. Overall, it was pretty mediocre. I'd say it has very similar problems to Silent Hill Downpour: it takes expansive environments and more streamlined gameplay at the expense of a cohesive and compelling creative and artistic direction in comparison to its predecessor. The monster design is pretty weak (there's maybe two or three legitimately creepy monsters throughout the game, and you only encounter them twice at most), the environments just aren't that scary or compelling, the stealth system is far too rudimentary and easy to exploit (you can lose enemies literally by just rounding a corner), and the game completely loses its steam in the final third.

There's no such thing as "good" popamole. Popamole = bottom of the barrel brainless trash, or cover shooters (which are also typically low grade shit). Dead Space isn't popamole in either sense, it's a survival horror/action game in the vein of RE4. It's a genuinely worthy and competently put together game, though nothing special. The other games mentioned are not so much. They're actually popamole.

Yeah Dead Space 1 and 2 are decent shooters, only popamole thing about them I can see are the objective locators.

Ivan

Arcane
great shooters. Also, I thought you had to activate Isaac's suit to see the waypoints. that was cool.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Dead space 1 + 2 was great. Good mix of survival horror combined with open world shooter sci-fi.

I liked this game, just finished it. Eh, it was on par with the first, better in lot of places, but worse in others.

I wanna see more survival horror

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's impressive that the PC version doesn't have a walk button. A third person horror game without a walk button. A sequel to a game that did have a walk button.

Why is there so much gunpowder but so little ammo? Well, I know why. Because crafting is in right now. It's stupid. Is this town next to a munitions factory or what? Who the hell keeps gunpowder?

All this traveling back and forth across the big map for weapons is getting tedious. I have a shotgun and two pistols now. Gonna call it a day. This series was better linear.

Well crafting allows you to make what you want, but the developer can limit the supplies so it won't get completely broken. There's a few issues with crafting, the obvious one is that it slows down the pacing of the game, and other is if you don't limit exp resources you can easily break the game, Prey is proof of this, the red gel in this game is a way to prevent this, and lastly crafting greatly benefits players who hoard shit, making the game less challenging than players who don't.

Machocruz

Arcane

Yeah Dead Space 1 and 2 are decent shooters, only popamole thing about them I can see are the objective locators.

Was using the broad Codex definition of popamole, which seems to be any AAA, mainstream action games on consoles. I thought Dead Space 1 was a legitimately good action game, better than most of the shit that received Citizen Kane of gaming nut hugging last gen. Very rare I play a game more than once these days, but I did twice and would do another run. And SR2 was very good for its type of game.

Ash

Arcane
To be fair I never played SR2 beyond the first two or so hours. I did SR3 though, which wasn't terrible but somewhat declined. Not sure if popamole should apply. That should be reserved for games so shit, so braindead, that it is comparable or almost comparable (even with a touch of exaggeration) to whack-a-mole gameplay: Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Kane & Lynch, Batman etc.

whack-a-mole-04.gif

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Is this town next to a munitions factory or what? Who the hell keeps gunpowder?

Union?

Union is not a real town, its something created by STEM that only exists on the people connected minds so there is really no reason for all that crap lying around because its not real, the only reason for it to exist was STEM creating it but why would it create it? the whole thing doesnt make much sense since in the first game, those were a bunch of memories strung along from everyone connected to STEM, thats why there were parts from Ruvik that were obvious out of place and nothing made sense but then Mobius manages to create a whole fictional city and have such a degree of control over it when when Ruvik had conscious control over STEM? Ruvik had to make the bits and pieces from the memories of people connected, in the first game the whole state of the place makes sense since those were clobbered up from memories and lacked spacial awareness so a door in a building connecting to a subway platform made sense because it didnt had to make sense. Now it does ... for reasons.

Apparently everyone dreams on being part of Smalltown USA ... honestly the whole idea of Mobius and STEM worst that Umbrella bioweapon project because at least that one had some pratical application, STEAM is kinda "let mind control THE WORLD" for reasons, I mean who the fuck would be working if they were connected to STEM? how could they FUNCTION if their conscious was in the Matrix? The idea was alright in the first because it had some applications but Union is just pants on retarded.

Drakron

Arcane
STEM just seems like that instrumentality project in evangelion but without the tang, animu waifus, and giant robots.

Thats true in the 2nd game, in the 1st STEM is only brought up later in the game as they did a decent job of hiding when they transited from the real world Beacon to STEM Beacon.
Also I think the 1st game heavily implied Mobius interest in STEM was because it could be very effective in brainwashing people as well would allow access to people memories, then the 2nd game does down this Union non-sense that doesnt seem to serve a point outside being The Matrix, the 1st game had issues but the 2nd seems to be predictable and boring, the first one at least had the sense of mystery for a while at least because it didnt start with a plot dump and say "hey, you going into STEM, nothing there is real".

Deflowerer

Arcane
I'm in Chapter 11. By Chapter 5, I had unlocked pretty much the whole stealth skill tree and it completely broke the game, and I'm playing on Nightmare. You can kill any enemy at zero cost to ammunition or health with incredibly low probability that you fuck up, and because of that, you can aggro the deactivated corpses to grind for even more experience. So at this point you can just keep on exploiting the dumbness of AI almost everywhere.

tl;dr - They didn't think it through.

Sometimes I wish I had never played the masterpiece that is Siren. Every stealthy horror game pales in comparison.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom