Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Escapist bitch-slaps The Witcher

Attrebus

Novice
Brother None said:
Because bad gaming journalism is bad for gaming quality.

Didn't Futile Rhetoric just explain this to you? Why ask something if you know the answer, and yes, your Halo 3 comparison is meaningless.
No, huge sales of shitty games is bad for game quality. Reviewers get caught up in the hype machine just as much as Joe Game Buyer and this skews their reviews. Most game companies will then make games that sell well. I think you are overstating how important game reviews are in the market place. It's more to do with advertising and brand loyalty.

It's also why shitty movies get made and people go see them.

Speaking of reading shit... I wasn't the one that bought up Halo 3.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Attrebus said:
I think you are overstating how important game reviews are in the market place.

Oh, I always argue against people saying reviews are the most important thing in game sales. Where exactly did I "overstate" the importance of game reviews? There are people that will read these reviews and not buy the game based on that, period, I'm fairly sure I never named an amount or percentage of people or indicated how heavily it'd influence sales. Since I didn't state it, I fail to see how I overstated it.

Attrebus said:
Speaking of reading shit... I wasn't the one that bought up Halo 3.

I guess I am reading shit. But I'm fairly sure you made the point that Halo sales are not related to reviews, which is vapid.

Crolug

Liturgist
Corvus, it seems that your 'review' shows a butterfly effect syndrome. You'll be famous in no time mate ;)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Crolug said:
Corvus, it seems that your 'review' shows a butterfly effect syndrome. You'll be famous in no time mate ;)

Famous like Matt Peckham.

Yuck.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Brother None said:
Crolug said:

Famous like Matt Peckham.

Yuck.

Guys, guys lets not jump to conclusions.

Attrebus

Novice
Brother None said:
Oh, I always argue against people saying reviews are the most important thing in game sales. Where exactly did I "overstate" the importance of game reviews? There are people that will read these reviews and not buy the game based on that, period, I'm fairly sure I never named an amount or percentage of people or indicated how heavily it'd influence sales. Since I didn't state it, I fail to see how I overstated it.

I guess I am reading shit. But I'm fairly sure you made the point that Halo sales are not related to reviews, which is vapid.

Brother None said:
Seems like a overstatement to me.

The Halo 3 sales weren't related to reviews. Vapid or not, it's true.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"because this is a game the Codex has a lot of investment in,"

That's the key right there. Any criticism of the Witcher is taken personally by the Codex. It's the same mantra for MOTB, and FO.

Criticism of a game that the Codex is utterly whitewashed unless it's some wimpy criticism. In essence, the Codex are a bunch of fanboys. They're not elitist. They're fanboys.

Attack on a fvaored Codex game is an attack on the Codexers. Period.

Nothingw ring with that as that's the lifeblood of the net.

As for the review, itself. Meh. It wasn't bad. Reasonably well written, and gave his solid reasons why he disliked the game.

Volourn said:
That's the key right there. Any criticism of the Witcher is taken personally by the Codex. It's the same mantra for MOTB, and FO.
You are a blight upon this world, Volly.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Attrebus said:
Brother None said:
Seems like a overstatement to me.

Really? Bad gaming journalism is bad for gaming quality. That's a fact. I never said how bad, I never quantified anything. Since I didn't quantify, I can't be overstating. Is it really that hard?

Attrebus said:
The Halo 3 sales weren't related to reviews. Vapid or not, it's true.

Uh-huh, I never said it wasn't, I said the comparison was senseless.

Could you please try to stop arguing against points nobody ever made?

Volourn said:
That's the key right there. Any criticism of the Witcher is taken personally by the Codex.

Oh, I wouldn't know, I'm just calling foul because of the bad journalism. The Codex' standards of attack or non-attack, I dunno, you might well be right. But if you are, what exactly is wrong with that? The Codex isn't just attacking bad journalism, they're also defending a certain design style.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The Codexian World? Only by those who fear differing opinions. Yeah, in that case, I am.

What I said was true despite perosnally liking both MOTB and FO *a lot*.

This shouldn't be the RPG Codex; but the Fanboy Codex. This thread illustrates it.

Read the guy's review again. Outside of the facts that he dislikes the Witcher immensely, and 'only' played 10 hours of the game; he does nothing wrong. The review is fine.

Volourn said:
The Codexian World? Only by those who fear differing opinions. Yeah, in that case, I am.

What I said was true despite perosnally liking both MOTB and FO *a lot*.

This shouldn't be the RPG Codex; but the Fanboy Codex. This thread illustrates it.

Read the guy's review again. Outside of the facts that he dislikes the Witcher immensely, and 'only' played 10 hours of the game; he does nothing wrong. The review is fine.
May your loins bear many fruit, Volly, and may you lose them all in a plane crash.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So other than not spending enough time on the game to have any knowledge of some of its most important features (like choice and consequence) or to give a full reflection on the game, he did nothing wrong?

I suppose that's true, I'm sure his grammar is very good.

Attrebus

Novice
Brother None said:
Really? Bad gaming journalism is bad for gaming quality. That's a fact. I never said how bad, I never quantified anything. Since I didn't quantify, I can't be overstating. Is it really that hard?

Uh-huh, I never said it wasn't, I said the comparison was senseless.

Could you please try to stop arguing against points nobody ever made?
Now who's got a straw man argument?

You are basically saying "I made a statement that has no substance." Either get some balls and make a statement that does, or don't make lame statements at all.

I agree that the comparison was senseless. Which is what I said in response to Futile whatshisname in relation to bringing up Halo 3.

Deleted member 7219

There really should be a 'Codexer of the Month' award.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Criticism of a game that the Codex is utterly whitewashed unless it's some wimpy criticism. In essence, the Codex are a bunch of fanboys. They're not elitist. They're fanboys.

I agree with his review, he pointed out a lot of technical shortcomings, which is probably good feedback for CDPROJEKT.

Except he forgot to review the gameplay. Whoops.

As a Witcher fanboy, I simply recognize that it's not a game for everyone and move on. If only you could do the same with NWN and ME.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Jaime Lannister said:
Volourn said:

I agree with his review, he pointed out a lot of technical shortcomings, which is probably good feedback for CDPROJEKT.

Except he forgot to review the gameplay. Whoops.

As a Witcher fanboy, I simply recognize that it's not a game for everyone and move on. If only you could do the same with NWN and ME.

Remember that your taltking about Volly, he can't, his ideas are bulletproof.

Zomg

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:

Complete horseshit. We don't just say diff'rent strokes! here, we criticize things. Volourn does a good public service here by acting as inarticulate faggot poison.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Zomg said:
Jaime Lannister said:

Complete horseshit. We don't just say diff'rent strokes! here, we criticize things.

So do I. I just don't take an attack on what I like personally.

Attrebus

Novice
Futile Rhetoric said:
Oh, guy, stop, please, my sides hurt. Damn.

And "Futile whatshisname"? Man, that's witty.
Glad I amuse you.

The wit, it burns, am i rite?

Xi

Arcane
Attrebus said:
No, huge sales of shitty games is bad for game quality.

Coming from an ESF moderator, this is just laughable.(At least you share the same name) :lol:

Honestly, game journalism boils down to either hype, with an absence of balance in weighing negative factors - see Oblivion, or being overly negative, while not even fully playing the game, because you don't like one tiny little aspect and you prefer other genres. So, I'd like to think there is some merit in promoting some integrity in game reviewing. It's obvious that "The Escapist" has no standards. They will let any retard review games. His review was no more informative then your average post on ESF, so why should we care? Oh that's right! He's slandering an entire genre by giving bad press to one of this year's, by highest standards in Role-play definition, pure RPG experiences.

If your job is to review a title, and you are paid to do so, you'd sure as hell better have an informed opinion. The asshole who wrote this article didn't. He deserves to be fired in my book. Or, maybe his manager deserves to be let go for allowing such low standards in review ethics.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"As a Witcher fanboy, I simply recognize that it's not a game for everyone and move on. If only you could do the same with NWN and ME."

That's funny considering one of my favorite reviews of NWN was SP's. L0L

Attrebus

Novice
Xi said:
Coming from an ESF moderator, this is just laughable.(At least you share the same name) :lol:
We share the same body as well.

I don't think Oblivion is quite as bad as everyone here makes it out to be. Sure, there were some really bad design choices in there, but that doesn't mean there weren't good ones. I had to take a break from the main quest in Oblivion for about 6 months because I couldn't stand closing all those Oblivion gates at the main cities. Not the best ES game but still better than a vast majority of other games I've played in various genres. It's still better than the original NWN campagin.

And he's not slandering an entire genre, he's bagging out a game he didn't like.

Futile Rhetoric said:
No pal, there are topical cremes for that.
Awesome, can I borrow yours?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom