Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Errant Signal Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
Common, the objective of Duke Nukem was to parody those dumb action movies of the 80's for FUN. There was no intention to say anything relevant about women or sexism or any shit like that. There wasn't any message of "You should totally treat all women like hookers.", I really didn't understood the relevance of his comments on Duke Nukem. It looked like he saw some boobies and gone on a pointless critique of sexism on a game that is a parody of the 80's action heroes.

Quake and teen angsts? Well, I aimed at monsters, tried not to die, exploded the monsters and the the monsters died, the end. I really didn't thought on any teen angst at the time. I had fun and that was the only thing I cared. If you changed Quake art style to any other, it won't make any difference to me. I played as a decent FPS of the time and that was about it. Quake is a collection of mechanics and aesthetics (as he said) that don't have much to do with each other, the soundtrack wasn't any different, they just used what was popular at the time. His idea of teen angst and Quake is a nice little observation but making a whole video about it as if it was a dominant theme of the game is just going a little too far.

In Quake, you shoot monsters, monsters die and that is about it, nothing was intended to make sense. I really think his observations are a little off the mark this time. They aren't totally wrong but are way less important than he thinks they are, go watch Super Bunny Hop on youtube and you will see someone that really understands of what the shooters of the time were about. They were about rhythm and movement, the way the enemies fire, the way you fire your guns and the level design all reflect that. Talking about aesthetics on those games is really be superficial as the developers at the time just used random shit they had on their mind at the time (what actually created games full of personality).
American critics are always trying to retroactively reinvent Rebel Without a Cause.

DraQ

Arcane
Actually Quake being a moodpiece is a good point to make. Not terribly insightful (because duh), but frequently overlooked when discussing old shooters and their wannabe "oldskool" successors.

And Quake was probably last such a game in a pure form, even though games like Unreal were also mostly moodpieces of a somewhat different kind.
I think this is also a sort of thing Carmack just couldn't fucking get judging by stuff like Quake's immediate sequel.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The only two indie games I really played this year were Papers, Please (which is fucking brilliant), Gone Home (which was one of my worst gaming experiences in 2013, I was bored outta my skull) and The Stanley Parable (which was overrated as fuck, and frankly pretty inane in my opinion).
Bad math or smooth implication that one of them is not even a game? :lol:

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only two indie games I really played this year were Papers, Please (which is fucking brilliant), Gone Home (which was one of my worst gaming experiences in 2013, I was bored outta my skull) and The Stanley Parable (which was overrated as fuck, and frankly pretty inane in my opinion).
Bad math of smooth implication that one of them is not even a game? :lol:

Freudian slip :lol:

buzz

Arcane
Bad math or smooth implication that one of them is not even a game? :lol:
If it was the later he should have said one indie game. :rpgcodex:
Though I think Gone Home actually has some puzzles (albeit extremely simplistic ones) so there's that :P.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The only three problems I have with that statement is that 1. you can't count

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only three problems I have with that statement is that 1. you can't count

it's almost like someone made the exact same joke two posts above yours

Bad math of smooth implication that one of them is not even a game? :lol:

Freudian slip :lol:

Ninjerk

Arcane
The perils of a game critic... how about the fact that mods encourage developers not to make their games well. What if every fucking movie required fans to cut it themselves like The Phantom Edit or revise entire passages in a novel so that there aren't gaping plot holes.

Misconnected

Savant
Sooo... He made a video because he likes the sound of his own voice?

Maybe - and I'm just speculating here - maybe his vids would be more interesting if he didn't spend 6+ minutes repeating the self-evident.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pretty shitty and pointless video.

how about the fact that mods encourage developers not to make their games well.

wat

Most people (like, the majority of the casuals that make up their customer base) hardly even know how to install mods.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Most people (like, the majority of the casuals that make up their customer base) hardly even know how to install mods.
SteamWorkshoplogo_1328763363.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You think the majority of a game's player base uses the Workshop? I very, very strongly doubt that. Not everybody has you on hand when they need some assistance ;)

My guess would be that even for Skyrim, something like 20-30% percent tops use mods, and that number is way less with other games. Think of the console players.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I did a quick look and the most popular Skyrim mod (the Spaaaace thingie from Portal 2) has 500k unique visitors, and 100k subscribers. Not really impressive, SkyUI on the Nexus has has 5M downloads, 3M of those unique.

Anyway, video is bad because it is nothing but a dumb realization that he should have had decades ago while playing boardgames or cardgames with house rules. Unless he was one of those anal kids that goes "but those are not the rules in the back of the box!"...

Destroid

Arcane
Modding has really collapsed since the early 2000s. Even when a good multiplayer mod appears (rarely), it seems to gather very few players.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What a shitty video. If I watched someone saying blah, blah, blah, blah for 6 min I would get the same result.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a few friends I play L4D2 with occasionally. When the workshop was added to that game I had to physically show them how to use it, and explain about conflicting mods causing crashes, etc. I doubt they remembered how to use it themselves after we were done. They aren't dumb, they just don't care enough about mods to figure this stuff out on their own, and I'm sure that's how it is for most people.

Cholo

Arcane
Wow, Campster's managed to crawl really far up his own ass with this one.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom