Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Stokowski

Arcane
Even without inflation adjustments it may be a better net deal once taxation is factored in.

Alchemist

Arcane
So I heard there is a free weekend of ESO coming up and I grabbed a key. Is there anything at all redeeming / interesting about the game, or is it a waste of bandwith / time to even briefly check it out?

imweasel

TESO is like WoW only a lot shittier. It is the worst MMORPG I have ever even tried playing and I have played quite a few.

Don't waste your time.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
So I heard there is a free weekend of ESO coming up and I grabbed a key. Is there anything at all redeeming / interesting about the game, or is it a waste of bandwith / time to even briefly check it out?
Go with PvP and get to fortress sieges - that was the only fun thing I remember. The rest is banalshitboring.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Sandboxes dont work because games must have a purpose, there must be clearly defined objectives
The original Simcity didn't have many objectives IIRC.

tumblr_mnxvakJRNL1rdr24go4_1280.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They make good use of phasing for quests, so a lot of the world changes with quests. The engine is also very smooth even on lower end hardware and there's a lot of community customization in the form of add-ons.

I don't think ESO doesn't anything really bad, except for grouping mechanics, it just does it very blandly.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
They make good use of phasing for quests, so a lot of the world changes with quests.
Stop right there! I actually tried playing with other people and phasing was totally fucked up - doing the same quest and having different NPCs in different locations wow such immersive. I prefer forced soloing in TSW for creepy/stealthy sections.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
is it possible to play solo ?
Yep, everything is possible solo except for dungeons and the group oriented zone they released after launch, which is pretty much vacant these days.

You start with your alliance zones and at the end of the main storyline you take your character and continue questing in the other alliance zones leveled to your rank.

So there's a huge amount of content for the solo player.

Aothan

Magister
well that is ok

are there specific classes for the different factions, for example for the Altmer ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
well that is ok

are there specific classes for the different factions, for example for the Altmer ?
Nope, classes are the same for the 3 alliances, you can play any race/class combo, but remember that each race has passive bonuses that tend to favor certain classes and play styles.

The classes themselves allow for varied types of builds, but of you intend to play a healer at the end game a Templar is preferred over other healing focused players using the restoration staff skill line, simply because the Templar has healing class skills on top of the resto staff.

Allanon

Augur
Anyone have an experience with buying the game key from 3rd party sellers?

For example, http://www.kinguin.net/product/198637/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-digital-download-cd-key/

It says there -

Crown Keys are compatible with this version.
Product is compatible with Crowns bought on Bethesda website.

This code is only available for newly created accounts. If you already own a copy of The Elder Scrolls Online on PC/Mac your game will be automatically updated to the new edition.

I can't understand if I'll be able to continue the character I use now for a free trial, or I'll have to open a new account. Anything else to be wary about?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ervice-office-closed-and-300-jobs-lost-report

Elder Scrolls Online Irish customer service office closed and 300 jobs lost - report
What a time to do it.

Elder Scrolls Online developer Zenimax Online Studios has reportedly closed its Irish customer service office in Galway, axing 300 jobs in the process.

The Connacht Tribune has the story (via VG247) and said only a handful of staff remain at the office. Bethesda/Zenimax PR did not respond the site's request for comment. I've requested comment separately.

The Elder Scrolls Online is developed in Hunt Valley, Maryland by Zenimax Online Studios, relatively close to Bethesda Game Studios, creator of The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3 and 4. There's an additional Zenimax Online Media office in Austin, Texas. Both companies belong to Zenimax Media.

News of the Galway office closure comes hot on the tails of a major offensive by Zenimax/Bethesda to enlist new players for The Elder Scrolls Online. This involves a $1m prize draw people are entered into for registering and playing the game - a campaign that coincided with a free-play weekend on PC and Xbox One, which also entered people into the prize draw. Discounts were offered to people who played during the free weekend, too.

The Elder Scrolls Online dropped its mandatory subscription business model earlier in the year, maintaining only an upfront fee for the game. This was done ahead of the game's summer console launch.

:kfc:

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The thing that truly pisses me off is that there's three human subraces, three elven subraces, and three beast subraces, in a setting with three warring factions, yet all the races are mixed together in each faction. Perfect opportunity for race war, gone to waste.

:rpgcodex:

Caim

Arcane
The thing that truly pisses me off is that there's three human subraces, three elven subraces, and three beast subraces, in a setting with three warring factions, yet all the races are mixed together in each faction. Perfect opportunity for race war, gone to waste.

:rpgcodex:
Because the Dunmer live on the ass-end of the world compared to the Bosmer and Altmer, and Orcs are subrace of elves and not beasts, you uneducated cretin. :decline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE 21ST DECEMBER: Bethesda PR has refuted the report by local news source Connacht Tribune. Bethesda said only approximately 50 jobs had been cut at the customer service centre as part of routine manoeuvring mid-August after the console Elder Scrolls Online launch.

"Following the successful console launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited in June, we have a thriving console and PC online community. We adjusted customer support levels in mid-August by reducing staffing by approximately 50 people to reflect the game's stability and the needs of our players," Bethesda PR said in a statement sent to Eurogamer. "This is a normal practice. We have been diligently working with the IDA, and the employees affected by this decision since the summer. We are disappointed by the inaccuracies in the report of the Connacht Tribune."

:M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
CS jobs are usually the first on the chopping block when you need to cut costs.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I tried to play this game during one of the free weekends and the download kept screwing up. I took it as a sign from the Powers That Be to save myself.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Started playing this last year then got bored and dropped it. Anyway, I started up again and the first thing I noticed was Bethesada had been fucking with the magic. I never used to run out of mana but now I was running out halfway through fights with much lower level enemies. That sucked. I ended up swapping all my light, medium gear for heavy armor when I realised my Templar gear was useless. I dumped a bunch of points into the bow and finally finished Cadwell's Gold. I ended up rushing and skipping almost all the sidequests in the gold section because I just wanted to get to the end. I did most of it by sneaking and using the bow as much as possible and using the spear as a last resort but when I finally stepped into the temple I got my ass kicked. I thought I was going to have to go back and do a shit load of grinding but at the last moment a vet 16 player magically turned up and ran through it with me. I was kind of disapointed that there's no option to go through the alliance stuff again as I'm still only vet 7 and don't like the pvp, so there's not much left to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom