Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Lhynn

Arcane
To me there should not be any endgame. Only a world with different activities of varying degrees of difficulty. That way none of your content is really skippable and all of it is at the same time. And that way your progress actually means shit.

TedNugent

Arcane
If the gameplay sucks, it doesn't matter if getting to endgame takes 3 days, 3 week or 3 months. But no matter how good your gameplay is, the end game will eventually bore people out of the game. At which point you regret letting them swoosh past all of that leveling content you spend hundreds of manhours to create. That's the crazy thing - you're making it super easy for players to skip large parts of the content of the game, meaning that they wille exhaust the end game content all that sooner.

If the gameplay is boring, it seems like that's the problem.

Maybe if MMOs weren't fucking boring, they wouldn't need to get people stuck in level up cheese mazes.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
To me there should not be any endgame. Only a world with different activities of varying degrees of difficulty. That way none of your content is really skippable and all of it is at the same time. And that way your progress actually means shit.
wat

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If the gameplay is boring, it seems like that's the problem.

Maybe if MMOs weren't fucking boring, they wouldn't need to get people stuck in level up cheese mazes.
Anything will be boring after enough time.

My point is that most MMO studios nerf the leveling process to the extent that even with mediocre gameplay, players rush through it, ignoring much (if not majority) of the content created for levelign, end up in the end game and let's face it, hardly any MMO has a enough good end game content to keep people playing for weeks and months.

Drakron

Arcane
To me there should not be any endgame.

Let me put this is a very simple way, people like objectives ... if you arent giving players goals they will simply see as there is nothing to do and move on, even if you are obscuring it with drops people like being told to do stuff.

Sandboxes dont work because games must have a purpose, there must be clearly defined objectives outside I just log in and declare myself as having won the game because I have done exactly that and the game isnt telling I didnt now? Without telling me I won or lost I win by default because I shown up, its like I set up a game of monopoly and I am the only player.

Also excuse me as I laugh at the "different activities of varying degrees of difficulty" because you cannot just make the same shit always harder and expect people levels dont matter because thats not the issue with endgame, its the repetition and people will either burn faster they can make new content or they make so ridiculous hard that takes months before a team can beat it that just means making content for the select few and then people will having nothing to do for different reasons.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Your only alternative is a fucking add-on. I just can't believe a re-release of MMO in 2015 can miss shit that's been in WoW 10 years ago without mods.
What the fuck, Zenimax?

WoW UI has needed mods ever since vanilla and still does. Every single MMO that's come out has had a terrible UI for PvP and raiding before you mod/tweak it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Let me put this is a very simple way, people like objectives ... if you arent giving players goals they will simply see as there is nothing to do and move on, even if you are obscuring it with drops people like being told to do stuff.
Sure, where did i say there cant be objectives? why do you believe players must be told what to do? how are you "obscuring it with drops"?

Sandboxes dont work because games must have a purpose
Dont be stupid

minecraft-cover.jpg

there must be clearly defined objectives outside I just log in and declare myself as having won the game because I have done exactly that and the game isnt telling I didnt now? Without telling me I won or lost I win by default because I shown up, its like I set up a game of monopoly and I am the only player.
Stupid people should shut the fuck up.

Also excuse me as I laugh at the "different activities of varying degrees of difficulty" because you cannot just make the same shit always harder and expect people levels dont matter because thats not the issue with endgame
Where did i say each activity should have its own set of difficulties? not that its a bad idea mind you, but thats not what i said. And how does correlate to levels no mattering? what the fuck are you even talking about? are you fucking retarded? am i talking to a mongoloid?

its the repetition and people will either burn faster they can make new content or they make so ridiculous hard that takes months before a team can beat it that just means making content for the select few and then people will having nothing to do for different reasons.
It seems i am talking to one. Its much better to have them try varied content than to have them repeat the same content over and over again until the next "tier". The problem isnt really repetition, its grinding. You can do an instance 20 times over the course of a year and not mind it, but doing it 20 times in a week then never doing it again is fucking shit, wasteful design.

Monocause

Arcane

What you say holds true only if you operate on the paradigm that the developer provides content for people to consume, and the lifetime of the product is dependent on support and content updates. There are other paradigms though - how about Second Life, or EVE? How about PnP RPGs, which, if you think about it, have a lot in common with SL and EVE in the sense that both provide a toolset for the players but what actually happens and why it happens is almost entirely driven by the players themselves?

Sandboxes dont work because games must have a purpose

Let me remind you what a sandbox originally used to be:

ht_BuildaSandbox_hero_image.jpg

Ever played in one of those? Remember building shit, and then tearing it apart? Remember using shovels as swords and buckets as helmets? Remember just idling with your feet in the sand? Remember dropping into the sandbox and swimming in it, pretending it's the ocean? These were all games, but with self-defined objectives that never had a clear "win" state, or "end" state. Occasionally you would come up with games that had win states with your friends, but these quickly were over and, after a moment of confusion, you would resume doing stuff that doesn't end. Because why would you want your fun to end?

The sandbox was a set of tools given context, but the objectives were defined only by you and the other players. Even today children love playing in sandboxes (unless the parents keep them under house arrest for fear of paedos and germs). No one ever told you what you should or should not do in the sandbox except for abiding by a few basic rules (don't leave the sandbox, don't piss in the sandbox, don't bring non-sandboxy objects into the sandbox etc)

Lego did the same. So does Minecraft. Games like EVE don't really fall that far away from this. It's not everyone's cup of tea, admittedly. Myself, as I grow older, I prefer games with a clearly observable progression from zero-state to win-state, and when a game does not feature such a progression or does not feature a win state, at some point I find the exercise pointless, futile, unfun and kinda depressing actually, and quit. People spending 1000s of hours building minecraft crap prove that there are way different approaches.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All this talk of sandbox is making me miss star wars galaxies pretty hard.

I want to play something like that again, with production values instead of some indie survival shiting in the woods simulator.

Monocause

Arcane
Felt half-tempted to buy this but then read some more. Am i right in the assessment that this is pretty much a Skyrim that has all the common flaws of contemporary MMORPGs but barely any of the benefits?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Felt half-tempted to buy this but then read some more. Am i right in the assessment that this is pretty much a Skyrim that has all the common flaws of contemporary MMORPGs but barely any of the benefits?
Indeed. The realm vs realm is done better than GW2 at least, and the skill system isn't too bad but I cannot withstand the levelling and there's nothing that sounds enticing in the endgame.

butchy

Prospernaut
I can honestly say I never played a worse MMO. I honestly enjoy playing flick myself in the ballsack more than this game. It is like a looting simulator. They just have baskets and urns every 3 inches. I can't run by lootables. That's just crazy. They should call this game ESO: Chock Full'o Urns! You like urns? We have more urns than you can handle, bitch.

Also, no action house? I hate guilds since I play mmos to kill people and not be buddies with them, but people complaining that they want to be in a guild to do normal guild stuff, and not to try and fleece them as your only customers, have a pretty good point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Smell that desperation: https://millionreasons.elderscrollsonline.com/

WIN $1,000,000* (USD)
Thanks for sharing your #ESO #MillionReasonsToPlay over the past few weeks. We’ve enjoyed them so much, we’d like to give you a million more reasons to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. That’s right, one lucky player is going to win one million US dollars! Will you be the lucky winner?

Cadmus

Arcane
"the reason to play our game is that we pay you to"

silly me with my backwards ideals but I thought it was supposed to be the other way around

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

WIN $1,000,000* (USD)
Thanks for sharing your #ESO #MillionReasonsToPlay over the past few weeks. We’ve enjoyed them so much, we’d like to give you a million more reasons to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. That’s right, one lucky player is going to win one million US dollars! Will you be the lucky winner?

*$1,000,000 (USD) Grand Prize winner will receive $50,000 USD a year for 20 years, without interest.

In order to be declared a prize winner, each selected entrant must:

(iv)If entrant is a resident of Canada: correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a mutually convenient time in person or by telephone.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane

WIN $1,000,000* (USD)

*$1,000,000 (USD) Grand Prize winner will receive $50,000 USD a year for 20 years, without interest.
That *addition is actually better than I expected. I thought it would be something like "*receive 1 000 000 USD worth of ingame items and special hats"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
lol $50k a year over 20 years without interest? So they aren't really paying you $1,000,000 considering inflation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom