Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You are being generous today with your critique it seems.
So you say...

00d50bd2a0df965e0e2a5bc0c9c38063.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They're really going all in with the billboard and poster ads here in Germany. If I have to read the phrase "spend an all-inclusive summer vacation in Tamriel!" one more time, I'm going to set the damn thing on fire.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Been playing this one and off since the B2P rerelease, currently V6 and working my way through caldwell gold. Dont think i will even be V10 by the end of it, so that leaves a lot of grinding to get to V14.

Wouldnt be so bad if they had a functioning grouping tool to easily do dungeons (which are not bad in this game, just hard to get groups for).

vampiregrave

Educated
Imperial CIty launch annouced:

DETAILS
Release Info

The Imperial City DLC game pack will be coming to PC/Mac on August 31st, Xbox One on September 15th, and PlayStation®4 on September 16th.

Price

The full Imperial City DLC game pack is included with an active ESO Plus membership. If you are not an ESO Plus member, or your membership lapses, the Imperial City DLC game pack costs 2,500 crowns in the ESOTU Crown Store.

Imperial City DLC Game Pack Features & Content

With the purchase of the Imperial City DLC game pack, you get access to the full Imperial City zone. That includes the following:

• All content is available to players that are level 10 and up
  • A brand new PvP/PvE space, including the six Imperial City Districts
  • New quests and key characters within the Imperial City
  • One new Imperial City PvP Public Dungeon: The Imperial Sewers
  • Two new PvE Imperial City group dungeons with Normal and Veteran versions: White-Gold Tower and Imperial City Prison
  • The Tel Var Stone system
  • 23 completely new Veteran Rank 16 item sets, only available in Imperial City
  • Treasure Vaults that contain new Veteran Rank 16 set jewelry and a chance for even rarer finds
  • Xivkyn racial motif style
  • New collectibles only available in Imperial City (pets, polymorphs, and a costume)

Imperial City Base-Game Patch

Along with the Imperial City DLC game pack launch, everyone who owns The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimitedwill receive the base-game patch at no cost. The base-game Imperial City patch includes hundreds of fixes and improvements to existing game systems and content including combat, classes and skill lines, the Alliance War, dungeons, and quests. Here are a few of the highlights:

• 15% decrease in the amount of XP it takes to gain a Veteran Rank
  • 100% more XP for all public dungeons
  • 50% more XP for all Veteran Rank quests
  • 20% more XP in Craglorn
  • Veteran Rank increased to 16
  • Racial Passive improvements
  • Mundus Stone buff improvements
  • Glass racial motif style
  • Improvements to existing item sets
  • The ability to hide mount visual upgrades
  • New crafting skill line passives
  • New Undaunted pledges
  • Tons of combat and gameplay balance changes
  • Improved end-of-campaign Alliance War rewards
  • …and more!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, I guess they're going with Secret World's update business model. I still haven't pinpointed what exactly is TESO's defining feature and I've played the damn thing. Fact it's TES?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I guess they're going with Secret World's update business model. I still haven't pinpointed what exactly is TESO's defining feature and I've played the damn thing. Fact it's TES?

I got to lvl 8 and I gotta say, it's one of the most soulless MMO I've played.
SWTOR had better hooks to keep you occupied and wanting to come back into it - mainly the story, the presentation of the world. Gameplay is uninspired WoW Lite, but that's what MMO is about.
TESO...I don't even see the attraction on crafting/skill ups, the graphic quality is fine, but the art direction is horrible. Combat that locks you to just 5 different skill per weapon set, swap and get another 5...wow, thanks for the variety of passives to dump points into. Great design!
Also, the world is presented by two dimensional characters, bad voice acting and really full of lazy content design.
There is an assload of quests that sends you to kill a named NPC that you had to delve into dungeon for, kill maybe 5-6 random mooks before fighting a slightly tougher guy.
Except when the server is moderately populated, the whole experience is simply a bunch of adventurers zerging an entire dungeon/outdoor scripted encounters, clearing it within minutes.
I had 2-3 instances where I got to the final room, tapped the boss once with a spell, and bam, he's dead. QUEST COMPLETE. 3-4 adventurers then tea-bag over the corpse and move on. We're not even partied.
This entire sequence takes place in fucking interior of a dungeon, but why the fuck did they not instance it?! It's really baffling. IS THIS SUPPOSED TO IMPROVE THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE?!

I like what they did with the multi-phase world states. Walk into a burning village, put out a fire, kill the leader, return to find the village under repairs and rebuilding itself.
That's cool, but that's just it. It just looks cool. Weather's decent, sound effect is nice. But that's it.
At $20, I still feel like I'm not getting my money's worth - but compared to suckers who paid $60 on release with monthly subs, I guess I didn't suffer as much.
Not surprised there's no trial for this game, it's 60 GB client with 80 GB install size requirement. Why? Why the fuck is it so huge?!?!
Why don't they just let people download a single faction zone instead of wasting so much space for nothing?

Verdict: This game deserve to fail.

Angthoron

Arcane
There was something really off with the movement speed too, when I tried it in the beta. It was too slow and felt "floaty" in first person. Combined with general blandness it made for great times traversing the countryside.

Drakron

Arcane

Sounds by what you said, they simply added multiplayer to a TES game and I doubt because it have to have so many areas that is large world since they have to compress the continent.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Sounds by what you said, they simply added multiplayer to a TES game and I doubt because it have to have so many areas that is large world since they have to compress the continent.

This is even worse, cause there's like...a certain stubbornness being applied to TESO's UI design.
We all know that in PVP you need to manage debuff/buffs correctly. Knowing when it wears off, and stuff.
Except in fucking first person mode you can't tell at all what effect is active on you.
You have to hit Character Sheet to read up on the remaining duration of buffs.
Hell, they won't even let you constantly display mini-map, cause that detracts from muh immersion.
Your only alternative is a fucking add-on. I just can't believe a re-release of MMO in 2015 can miss shit that's been in WoW 10 years ago without mods.
What the fuck, Zenimax?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I never understand why MMOs ruin their own gameplay as time goes on by nerfiing the XP required to level or increase how much XP quests give out. That just ends up with players zooming through the content to the end game and then quitting, unless the said end game is super addictive. Which it almost never is.

Drakron

Arcane
Endgame paradigm but at the same if you attempt to stuck people in leveling they will also quit unless there is content to play, you should never look at leveling as some kind of "goal", they are simply "you must be this tall for this ride" and naturally people want to be as tall to enjoy all the rides.

Either way, is not making people drag their feet to see the end of the ride they will appreciate it, its not being "ruined" because if the game sucks then it sucks ... be it now or six months later when I see all there is, this became very apparent when subscription games changed to Buy/Free2Play because they simply worked on sunk cost fallacy, that you subbed and just spend 6 months to reach the end game so you arent leaving because you subbed and just spend 6 months, that because of the cost and effort you put that makes leaving the game impossible because of those costs so they stayed ... no matter what.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If the gameplay sucks, it doesn't matter if getting to endgame takes 3 days, 3 week or 3 months. But no matter how good your gameplay is, the end game will eventually bore people out of the game. At which point you regret letting them swoosh past all of that leveling content you spend hundreds of manhours to create. That's the crazy thing - you're making it super easy for players to skip large parts of the content of the game, meaning that they wille exhaust the end game content all that sooner.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
If the gameplay sucks, it doesn't matter if getting to endgame takes 3 days, 3 week or 3 months. But no matter how good your gameplay is, the end game will eventually bore people out of the game. At which point you regret letting them swoosh past all of that leveling content you spend hundreds of manhours to create. That's the crazy thing - you're making it super easy for players to skip large parts of the content of the game, meaning that they wille exhaust the end game content all that sooner.
Gameplay is a secondary issue /tsw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom