Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls Go Online

Emily

Arcane
Nope, the pvp is the only real fun in mmo. Especialy if the setting is realistic. there are a lot of things to consider, when waging war etc. Now veterans killing lowbies is lame, but meh it may happen once or twice to you, seriously it didn't even happen to me once and i played quite a few mmos.
I mean mmo's that dont have pvp, dont have risk, and if there isnt risk vs reward there isnt a game in it.
Grinding just for the hell of it gets old fast
You hit back on them, make their life miserable. UO had a good reputation system, do a crime and you'd go from blue to grey, meaning that anyone could attack you but you could fight back freely. Do a murder, you'd turn red and we're free hunting to absolutely anyone. So PKs would form guilds so they could be red and still remain relatively safe. As a counter, you got anti-PK guilds who roamed the dungeons and popular hangouts, hunting red and grey players. Many players had one permanently red character they could fall back on to if they needed to.

And much of the PvP circuit was done by the professional PvPers, who wouldn't let their characters turn red - instead everyone went grey in Buccaneer's Den and had a big fight-out or they arranged a tournament somewhere off the beaten path. If a griefer showed up, people could easily gank up on him and since you lost most of your stuff when you died... You have to remember that there were no levels in UO and getting the maximum 7 skills to 100 wasn't that difficult if you knew what you were doing. Magical gear, while good, didn't give you an absolute edge either - so it was down to skill and connection speed. Plus, if someone was enough of a jerk that a lot of people people complained, the GMs could and would teleport that character into jail for good so the player basically lost a character. The feeling when you meet a newbish PK in a dungeon, manage to avoid him while yelling in IRC for help and your guild tamer would teleport in with his pet dragon - then looting the deadPK and laughing at his ghost, nothing quite like it.

But yeah, sure it wasn't for everyone but that Wild Wild West attitude and atmosphere was quite exciting as well.

Luzur that doesn't sound like an official server at all. Were you a nasty pirate and played on private shards?

sounds a lot like Darkfall.
Do you know any mmo that is similiar to it? That you would play as an UO fan?

Emily

Arcane
you should alyways PAY for an MMO
any free to play mmo is pay to win scam, and not worth it IMO. Many private servers always have donor eq and many problems etc :/
not worth it imo.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Shows how much you know. There were plenty of good, free shards for UO, as setting up your own shard was piss easy, as was making custom maps for the damn thing. I'd pull up a shard for my friends on the week-ends whenever we wanted to do some dungeon-crawling.

Still, the UO pvp system has yet to be bested by anything that has come out since. There were different settings for guards as well, so plenty of shards didn't have the insta-kill teleporting variety and that shit was awesome. Meant you could be a criminal scum in town and get away with it if you could kite well enough, but in open combat you'd always be vastly outnumbered. Combat mechanics, on the other hand, could've been better.

I still don't get PvP, and especially not hardcore PvP. Doesn't it get just terrible having to deal with douchebags constantly trying to make your experience as miserable as possible?

Every MMO has a competitive aspect to it, as long as there is some kind of character progression involved, so you are playing v.s other players whether you're able to whack them over the head directly or not.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Riding naked (to maximize mana regeneration) on a horse (to maximize mobility and avoid stamina loss) while wielding a halberd (to maximize single hit damage output) while casting poison on the enemy so he can't heal up (poisoned characters cannot heal until cured) and occasionally dropping CORP POR on them as well :D

OTOH, the katana super-speed tactic worked pretty well too against certain builds. And of course nothing compares to the sheer fun when someone drops their pets into a PvP brawl - having two ancient wyrms in the middle creates some havoc for sure.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Daemongar and ArcturusXIV

You guys just pretty much described Ultima Online before it was fucked over in the 3rd expansion. And that's what TES Online should be - a first-person UO. But no, it's not going to be that.

Also, the scanned images are gone. Are there new links? I'd like to see the awfulness with my own eyes.
I played UO the first day it came out (was not in the beta.) While I envied those such as yourself who understood the greater game within the game, I only had a little bit of time each week to play. Most of my time was either wandering around Britannia, with rare runs to Minoc or Vesper.

The openness of everything really got me. My first character was a Bard/Woodsman, which was in one way very useless, but in another way fun to play. You couldn't do it all, you were WEAK. It wasn't Bards get SUPER-LUTE-SMASH at level 50. If you didn't know what you were doing, or chose to hobble yourself, there was no chance of you taking anyone out. Unlike every other game.
There was a lot to do and explore, and more than enough to do that wasn't combat related. This is what I'd like as well, but fat chance. Eventually I became some Grandmaster with a mace, but I think the first few months of me trying to raise my bard levels by charming everything (and dying a lot) were the best of all.

Those who think PVP servers would be horrible: with the right MMRPG, even with a weak character, it is more fun than you could know. It adds a lot more dimension to the game, especially one where players can loot your body. Everything is more intense, and makes having a guild or friends online more important. Even with a non-combatant character, I'll take a PVP server any day of the week.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
I still don't get PvP, and especially not hardcore PvP. Doesn't it get just terrible having to deal with douchebags constantly trying to make your experience as miserable as possible?
PvP is the only thing I really like in MMOs..... which is odd, as I went into my first MMO thinking, no.. knowing I would hate PvP.

It's really the bee's knees. :M

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
PvP is so magical it can make grinding for equipment the most fun thing

see : Day Z

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom