Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Dwarves (Die Zwerge), a horde combat RPG from KING Art Games

DraQ

Arcane
On whose cunning are you referring to? The avatar's/hero's/party's or the player's? The first one needs storytelling tools. I can't think of a gameplay element to depict it completely - of course, some systems can be used to gamify the concept, but it cannot be done without a lot of abstraction. Furthermore, it is especially difficult with input-heavy games with their own limited mechanics, which are carved in stone for the most part of the game (once the player figures them out).
Actually, the best possible way to depict character's cunning is using player's cunning.
:martini:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Gameplay Overview video:

including more overland map views and some more information on the crowd combat. The latter still needs work, imo it really lacks weight and impact, especially in melee.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Engilish voice acting is shite, especially with the in-game characters, but also with the somewhat inauthentic "member of the King Art team" who narrates the thing.

Also, they need to stop and think for a minute if they really want to sell their gameplay as "like a raid in an MMO, but you control all the characters by yourself."

Crichton

Prophet
The Engilish voice acting is shite, especially with the in-game characters, but also with the somewhat inauthentic "member of the King Art team" who narrates the thing.

Also, they need to stop and think for a minute if they really want to sell their gameplay as "like a raid in an MMO, but you control all the characters by yourself."

I'm rather hazy on how that's going to work myself. I suppose this is what one does in "real-time strategy" games, i.e. Warcraft I//II/III and the like, but I wouldn't call it a selling point; I always assumed it was a compromise to avoid pausing slowing down multiplayer. Even in Mass Effect I/II you can pause the game and give vague orders to your two flunkies.

From what little I can see in the video, combat is a 100% clusterfuck; all these dwarves running through crowds of orcs as if they're late for a train. It would seem to make a lot more sense to brace their backs against walls or place them back to back to avoid being surrounded. I haven't read any of the books in question but all "WE ARE DWARVES, WE LOVE METALWORKING, BEER, HUEG HAMMERS AND STUPID HELMETS" shit in the video makes Dragon Age look like a masterpiece by comparison. I guess I'm just not the target audience, but I'm really not clear on why they want to make this crap.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
New update:

On Wednesday we will release a new video that we hadn’t planned on. We were able to get in contact with a fantastic band that would like to do something for The Dwarves. We won’t tell you who they are yet, but let’s say it like this: It’s as good as it gets. We are hoping for a reasonable PR effect, and maybe even the big international gaming websites will get cracking.

Who could it be?

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Nah, most likely a german band.

Probably In Extremo, Subway to Sally or something similiar.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
as good as it gets
blind guardian
himZD0M.gif

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Blind Guardian it is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-a-new-storydriven-fantasy-rpg/posts/1361312

The Dwarves feat. Blind Guardian!

Rock meets Metal: The Dwarves forge an alliance with Blind Guardian

Dwarves are tough – made from stone by their god Vraccas, they are rough warriors and skilled craftsmen. The love for all kinds of metal is in their blood and there is only one kind of music to complement the thunder of their sledgehammers and the clash of their battleaxes: METAL! We are therefore happy to announce that "Blind Guardian" are going to become part of the game. Not only will a part of the original The Dwarves soundtrack by composer Benny Oschmann be reinterpreted by musicians of Blind Guardian, but there will also be a special quest involving Blind Guardian in the game. The band and Markus Heitz are cooperating with KING Art on ideas how to best blend this quest with the story and game world.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Damn is was wrong.
Here the video for those to lazy to click the link:

But whatever, Metal in RPGs works :D

Darkzone

Arcane
Not ALWAYS

This were the times where In Extremo was very good, but like all things this has also passed.
Btw.: "Not ALWAYS" is not correct concerning this example, because In Extremo was not belonging to the metal genre as Gothic I came out. Later they went more into the metal direction, but at the same time they gotten worse and worse.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Their dorfs look much like dorfs from WAR which is a good thing. I'm not sure about physics-based combat though - it sounds very gimmicky and gameplay they've shown so far fails to impress. Of course it's only a prototype and like anything unconventional it can evolve into something fun if they're ready to put enough effort into it.

Unrelated: I wish someone made a Warhammer Fantasy based CRPG. Now that I would totally play...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom